OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT1900ACS: which image?

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Mar 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

three reboots and one "reset push" later the same problem sad

2 posts back, for what image did you not have pw?

davidc502 wrote:

Keep in mind, what's posted on my site is for "Shelby" or ACS. Don't flash that image if you are on a different piece of hardware.

Also, the Trunk snapshot included .15 wifi, and I made no changes to source. With more people using the image, it might come out that others have the same problem as you. There just haven't been enough people who have flashed this image to give good feedback.

Hope that helps.

**EDIT** All I know is that its been rock solid for me, and I'm not chasing kernels, so I plan to stay on this snapshot for quite some time.

Thank you davidc502!

I downloaded your image 7 hours ago and my WRT1900ACS has never run better in the two weeks I've had it. No wifi drop outs, no reboots, no speed drops. Thank you very much smile

I know it's a bit early to get excited, but my experience with the stock firmware has been a nightmare in the 2 weeks I've had my ACS. Reboots every 2-3 hours. Wifi disappearing every now and then, slow and unresponsive gui etc.

I'm totally new to OpenWrt and I wish I had known about how easy it would be to install 14 days ago... Your image was a no-brainer to install, even had LuCI included (which is a lot better than Linksys stock gui imho).

In less than 5 minutes I had my ACS setup. Set the root password on the first visit to the gui, enabled both wifi radios, added a few port forwarding rules. No problems experienced so far, having 3 iPads, 3 iphones, 2 Windows desktops, 2 MacBooks, a linux server, an Xbox, 2 linux sat receivers, Apple TV, a smart tv, and old wifi router setup as AP and probably a few more clients in the house connected.

I'll be happy to give you feedback and also keep this topic updated with my experience.

i'll try davids openwrt-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-shelby-squashfs-factory.img

Appreciate the feedback...  After compiling and flashing that trunk snapshot, I came to the realization that it was a good build (Very stable) and wifi was good.  I'm glad it is working out just as well for others too.

daptew wrote:

Just make sure you have ACS hardware before you flash Shelby.

davidc502 wrote:
daptew wrote:

Just make sure you have ACS hardware before you flash Shelby.

Model: WRT1900ACS
FCC ID: Q87-WRT1900ACV2
IC: 3839A-WRT1900ACV2

I'll think this is the correct hardware.

You are good to go.

I only ask, because there have been soooooo many people who think v1, v2 or acs is the version of firmware, and end up soft bricking their router wink

daptew wrote:
anomeome wrote:

Try going through stock firmware, then to image you want.

thanks! this works. but now a new problem, for the 1. login i need a user/password. the wiki says that this is on the first "root/"blank". but "blank" didn't work. Invalid username and/or password! Please try again.

Blank means that it has no password at all, so you log in with root as username and then just press enter when you need to enter your password.

So I understand that you are all delighted with wifi ac? I get 300 mbps download speed superior or more just in the first 3 to 4 hours. After decreases to 50-30-20

@davidc502, johan81, anomeome

i flashed from kaloz image to the original linksys image, than (without power off) to davids openwrt-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-shelby-squashfs-factory.img. connect to 192.168.1.1, see the luci login with root as username and klick login (without any password  ("blank")). than the error message came up (Invalid username and/or password! Please try again.). after  anomeomes hind i reboot several times but noting changed. i try to enter the failsafe mode but i didn't get in to.

diaconuliviu85 wrote:

So I understand that you are all delighted with wifi ac? I get 300 mbps download speed superior or more just in the first 3 to 4 hours. After decreases to 50-30-20

I haven't seen or noticed any degradation of AC speeds yet. My internet connection is 50/50Mb and speed tests earlier this morning (before I went to work) showed 50+Mb both ways. Internally (RX and TX speeds?) were around 880M bit according to the Overview page of the gui.

Btw, the router was still up this morning which is great - it has never run for so long without rebooting on the stock image. Hopefully it will still be up when I get home tonight having endured 24 hours without rebooting smile

runev wrote:
diaconuliviu85 wrote:

I haven't seen or noticed any degradation of AC speeds yet. My internet connection is 50/50Mb and speed tests earlier this morning (before I went to work) showed 50+Mb both ways. Internally (RX and TX speeds?) were around 880M bit according to the Overview page of the gui.

Btw, the router was still up this morning which is great - it has never run for so long without rebooting on the stock image. Hopefully it will still be up when I get home tonight having endured 24 hours without rebooting smile

I have a 300 Mbps connection to the Internet. The connection between the router and devices is high, the nexus 6 -860, -1200mbps hp laptop, and more.
Good will return to kaloz image that goes great.

daptew wrote:

i flashed from kaloz image to the original linksys image, than (without power off) to davids openwrt-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-shelby-squashfs-factory.img. connect to 192.168.1.1, see the luci login with root as username and klick login (without any password  ("blank")). than the error message came up (Invalid username and/or password! Please try again.). after  anomeomes hind i reboot several times but noting changed. i try to enter the failsafe mode but i didn't get in to.

after a day of trying i'am still at the same point.
- didn't set a password by the 1. boot (need the password direkt after the flashing)
- "blank", password, 1234, admin .. nothing worked
- can't enter the failsafe mode

any ideas? :-)

usb-ttl cable is on the way, is there any good "failsafe" tutorial for failsafe mode or flashing (OS X) ?

daptew wrote:
daptew wrote:

after a day of trying i'am still at the same point.
- didn't set a password by the 1. boot (need the password direkt after the flashing)
- "blank", password, 1234, admin .. nothing worked
- can't enter the failsafe mode

any ideas? :-)

usb-ttl cable is on the way, is there any good "failsafe" tutorial for failsafe mode or flashing (OS X) ?

Have you tried to telnet or ssh into the router?

By "blank" you mean you are not entering any keystrokes?
ssh is to 192.168.1.1 by default.

yes

ssh root@192.168.1.1
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:xyz
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.1' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
root@192.168.1.1's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

but it still needs a password

Did you just try hitting enter at the ssh prompt?

anomeome wrote:

By "blank" you mean you are not entering any keystrokes?
ssh is to 192.168.1.1 by default.

yes, with "blank" i mean noting or no keystrokes

can you hit me up at irc #openwrt?

anomeome wrote:

Did you just try hitting enter at the ssh prompt?

yes, ill try, just enter, password, 1234, login, admin etc ...
it is the same as under the luci gui

anomeome wrote:

can you hit me up at irc #openwrt?

sure :-) just let me find the irc server ip :-)

@davidc502
Your image has no password by default?