OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT1900ACS: which image?

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Mar 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

What better samba or miniDLNA? thats all what i will need to install? and my linksys will see my HDD? or i need will mount manually?
Thanks

Depends of what your are trying to do, and with what devices. Can you explain further what devices are trying to connect to, and for what purpose?

Best Regards,

Hi, i have one external HDD 1Tb (USB 3.0) on this hdd i have some videos, photos and music. Have two smart TV, often watched HD movies(DLNA) when was stock software on linksys 1900acs. from ipads, laptop, smartphones sometimes listen music and watch movies.

There's a issue you will run across, and that's with memory.... As data is transferred from the USB Hard drive to the device, the router will run out of memory, and the data transfer will fail. I believe you have to create swap partition on the hard drive, and point the router to use it during file transfers. Getting that working is the first problem.

The 2nd problem is DLNA -- I'm assuming the hard drive doesn't have a DLNA server built in? If it does have a DLNA server, then the hard drive should be seen by the devices after the USB is mounted.

Have you been able to mount the USB hard drive yet?

davidc502 wrote:

There's a issue you will run across, and that's with memory.... As data is transferred from the USB Hard drive to the device, the router will run out of memory, and the data transfer will fail. I believe you have to create swap partition on the hard drive, and point the router to use it during file transfers. Getting that working is the first problem.

The 2nd problem is DLNA -- I'm assuming the hard drive doesn't have a DLNA server built in? If it does have a DLNA server, then the hard drive should be seen by the devices after the USB is mounted.

Have you been able to mount the USB hard drive yet?

Hi, David! I just have a simple external HDD with USB 3.0 . I don't know how data is transferred from the USB Hard drive to the device. I simply use this external hdd with my stock software, just connect and all that i did.  If i will create swap partition i will need to formatting my HDD? I have one partition on my HDD, can i will create here swap without data loss?
My hard drive doesn't have a DLNA server built in.
No, i still didn't mount the USB hard drive.

PS: Sorry for my english!

(Last edited by IceTi on 17 Jan 2016, 14:01)

Those are good questions, and I don't know the answers.

Is the primary partition EXT4? Or FAT or NTFS?
If Ext4, then you could use the other partition as swap.

However, after these couple of issues are resolved, it will take a little research to find out how to properly mount, and have OpenWrt use the swap space.

After the USB HD is mounted and using swap, like it is supposed to, the next step would be installing MiniDLNA. It's a package that is installed on OpenWrt, and I belive can be configured to point clients to the USB HD.

One step at a time -- Figure out how to configure a swap partition on the HD, and mount it. Then configure OpenWrt to use the swap during data transfers.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/fstab

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/storage

root@OpenWrt:/mnt/usb# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 2.8M      2.8M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   124.5M     88.0K    124.4M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1              26.1M    588.0K     24.2M   2% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       26.1M    588.0K     24.2M   2% /
ubi1:syscfg              30.8M     52.0K     29.1M   0% /tmp/syscfg
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/sda                 14.6G     38.2M     13.8G   0% /mnt/usb   <<<<<<<< Mounted 14Gig USB

(Last edited by davidc502 on 17 Jan 2016, 20:57)

The Jan 9 build has been very stable so I thought I would try to install open-vpn.  I had the same kernel dependency problem as noted above, so I did a force install and copied over the vpn config files from my previous install.  As soon as I activated openvpn the router crashed.  It then went into a continuous reboot cycle.  Fortunately I was able to load the previous image after a bit of fussing around - 3 reboots, etc. 

BTW is there a way to force the current configuration / image to be the "previous image"?  Once I've run a week or more without any major issues I would like to write the current image / config to the previous image.

btrv wrote:

The Jan 9 build has been very stable so I thought I would try to install open-vpn.  I had the same kernel dependency problem as noted above, so I did a force install and copied over the vpn config files from my previous install.  As soon as I activated openvpn the router crashed.  It then went into a continuous reboot cycle.  Fortunately I was able to load the previous image after a bit of fussing around - 3 reboots, etc. 

BTW is there a way to force the current configuration / image to be the "previous image"?  Once I've run a week or more without any major issues I would like to write the current image / config to the previous image.

My ACS is also very stable. Thanks davidc502!
One thins I want to improve is the LEDs wouldnt be configurable well. Could we add the GPIO links(?) without recompiling?

Anyway, regarding the VPN, I could use "kmod-tun" downloaded below link and succeeded to make it. It needed to install forcefuly but it works (:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502/mvebu/vanav/

@tf0054 which version do you have - I have the v1.

@btrv You mean the version of openvpn? if so, it may be v2 (i cannot check now because my ACS is in my apartment, but i installed openvpn packages through Luci. (Our image has links to trunk)

Additionaly I am using it as a client on tap mode.

(Last edited by tf0054 on 2 Feb 2016, 17:16)

PSA: I've found that if you're running the kaloz build and try to upgrade to trunk or davidc502's snapshots, using the .img files, results instability that will soft-brick your wrt1900acs.

The router will not get a valid IP, and you cannot ssh into it. If you're lucky to have a working firmware in the backup partition, you can do the 3 on/off trick to revert back to that firmware.

I've also found that upgrading from kaloz build to trunk/davidc502 using the sysupgrade.tar works but with some artifacts due to some incompatibilities.

The only safe way from going from kaloz -> trunk/davidc502, is to first flash the router with the factory image, then the openwrt image you need.

@davidc502 - thank you very much for your firmware snapshots! I flashed your Shelby image (in LuCi_Wifi_.16_NANDPatch) and it has really improved my WiFi performance vs the kaloz build.

On kaloz's I was seeing ~100/7 on 5GHz, and ~70/7 on 2.4GHz. With your image I'm seeing full bandwidth on 5GHz at 180/12 and the better uplink bandwidth on 2.4GHz at ~70/12.

Feedback: I will continue to monitor this build - I have noticed the mapping for the WAN LED is not working.

(Last edited by tekiwibird on 2 Feb 2016, 23:30)

@davidc502 - Also, in scheduled tasks I notice there is something about fan control. I'm assuming this is an artifact of code re-use across WRT1900 series platforms, because the ACS has no fan.

@davidc502
I installed your image and is working great but when through the Luci UI, I am trying to install SQM which is luci-app-sqm and I get the following error:

Installing luci-app-sqm (1.0.7-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … 1_all.ipk.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-sqm:
*     kmod-sched-core *     kmod-sched *     kmod-ifb *     kmod-ipt-ipopt *     kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm.

Those kmod dependencies are not showing up as packages I can install

Uptime: 55d 23h 11m 45s – not bad at all!

New guy on deck. Previous experience with several routers and DD-WRT and Tomato.  Just got the WRT1900ACS and DD-WRT is problematic with Wi-Fi.   Found this thread and downloaded the latest and greatest from David's page

(uname -a)
Linux OpenWrt 4.4.6 #1 SMP Sun Mar 20 00:32:58 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

Little trouble navigating around in OpenWRT but I kinda/sorta have it figured out.  Right out of the box both my antennas are working and reporting max speeds which is more than I ever got from the DD-WRT builds.  If they did work they would degrade.  Hopefully this does the trick.  Only been up a few minutes but wanted to thank David for his work.  Hope this solves my wi-fi issue.  Currently getting 80 down on a 75 Mbbs line which is fantastic and the norm for my service here.

tekiwibird wrote:

@davidc502 - Also, in scheduled tasks I notice there is something about fan control. I'm assuming this is an artifact of code re-use across WRT1900 series platforms, because the ACS has no fan.

I believe this is correct....

For future builds, I know where this package is, and how to remove it before it is built.

druiz1 wrote:

@davidc502
I installed your image and is working great but when through the Luci UI, I am trying to install SQM which is luci-app-sqm and I get the following error:

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-sqm:
*     kmod-sched-core *     kmod-sched *     kmod-ifb *     kmod-ipt-ipopt *     kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra *

Trunk packages are compatible with kernel 4.1, and this build has kernel 4.4.6, so any additional packages won't be compatible - sorry

I'll ask and see if someone has a config I can use to compile all possible packages. This would be helpful to those who want more than just a basic build.

***EDIT***
Currently attempting to compile all possible packages with 4.4.6 kernel -- Will upload if they complete

(Last edited by davidc502 on 24 Mar 2016, 03:01)

hagensieker wrote:

New guy on deck. Previous experience with several routers and DD-WRT and Tomato.  Just got the WRT1900ACS and DD-WRT is problematic with Wi-Fi.   Found this thread and downloaded the latest and greatest from David's page

(uname -a)

Little trouble navigating around in OpenWRT but I kinda/sorta have it figured out.  Right out of the box both my antennas are working and reporting max speeds which is more than I ever got from the DD-WRT builds.  If they did work they would degrade.  Hopefully this does the trick.  Only been up a few minutes but wanted to thank David for his work.  Hope this solves my wi-fi issue.  Currently getting 80 down on a 75 Mbbs line which is fantastic and the norm for my service here.

WiFi still has some issues which some users may or may not run across. Example: those who use DLNA to stream videos will notice extreme slow downs, and at times DLNA broadcasts are dropped all together. High ping times on certain wifi devices have also been observed.

I'm hoping Kaloz will continue working on the driver as there is still some improvement that can be made. With that said, the driver has come so so far compared to this time last year or earlier --

For me, Kaloz wifi Driver is superior to stock driver when it comes to throughput/download speed. However! this greatly depends on the device. I have a Lenovo laptop that just crawls, but is very speedy on the stock driver. Just the opposite happens with a Galaxy S5 which is nice and fast on OpenWrt, but has issues with Stock.

Hope that helps.

davidc502 wrote:
hagensieker wrote:

(uname -a)

WiFi still has some issues which some users may or may not run across. Example: those who use DLNA to stream videos will notice extreme slow downs, and at times DLNA broadcasts are dropped all together. High ping times on certain wifi devices have also been observed.

I'm hoping Kaloz will continue working on the driver as there is still some improvement that can be made. With that said, the driver has come so so far compared to this time last year or earlier --

For me, Kaloz wifi Driver is superior to stock driver when it comes to throughput/download speed. However! this greatly depends on the device. I have a Lenovo laptop that just crawls, but is very speedy on the stock driver. Just the opposite happens with a Galaxy S5 which is nice and fast on OpenWrt, but has issues with Stock.

Hope that helps.

Woke up this morning and ran Ookla speed test and I'll still bringing in 80 Mbbs if I'm in close range to the base station.

So far all I have done to stock firmware is Port Forward to my VPN server, harden firewall to pass GRC Shield's Up tests, and set up Privoxy for AdBlocking.   And I installed nano.  In the 20 years or so I've been dabbling in Linux I have never gotten the hang of vi. 

This is looking good so far and now that I've gotten under the hood I kind of prefer OpenWRT to DD-WRT.  Again thanks!

And just noticed my 2.4 GHz channel showed 0% and was unable to connect to it after 12 or so hours.  A reboot cleared it. However trying to manually change the 2.4GHz channel just made it go away completely.  Kind of stuck on channel 11 it would appear.  I ended up having to reflash and reconfigure.

I made a backup file previously but it did not restore the settings..  No biggee, I just reconfigured everything but making the settings file and trying to restore it did not work.

If the 2.4 channel dies again I'll let you know.

druiz1 wrote:

@davidc502

Collected errors:

I compiled a lot of different packages... Still, I don't feel that I got them all. Check them out and see if anything is missing.

All Kernel module packages are selected
All userspace packages are selected

http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502 … /packages/

couple questions here.

one being does the usb work..i tried a build i got off the main openwrt page and couldn't get the drive to show up..i use a flash drive to store regular files i transfer between computers and sometimes videos..

second being this has luci already installed and ready to go right..from what i have read this seems to be right. just want to make sure..

i have a wrt1900acs

95blackz26 wrote:

couple questions here.

one being does the usb work..i tried a build i got off the main openwrt page and couldn't get the drive to show up..i use a flash drive to store regular files i transfer between computers and sometimes videos..

second being this has luci already installed and ready to go right..from what i have read this seems to be right. just want to make sure..

i have a wrt1900acs

Yes, the usb "can" and will work if you know how to mount it. However****  There is a known issue of running out of ram during file transfers. Unless you know how to set up a swap partition, instead of the system using RAM, it might not have much use.

Yes, LuCi is included... just point your browser to 192.168.1.1

Hope that helps.