OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Trendnet TEW-632BRP, TEW-652BRP, DLink DIR-615 C1, CC WLN2206 working!

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

hey guys i am very new to this, I flashed my router using openwrt-ar71xx-tew-632brp-squashfs.uni and i can't get my wireless to work sad

how can I restore to the original firmware? i read that you should use a .trx file? where do i get that?

HI,
Have you taken the backups before flashing the router. If so you can restore all the settings easily. Else you may have to reset all the properties of the router, It may happen that you have to install the new IOS for your router.

sorry.. no backup.. stupid me smile

how do I reset the router? I tried to unplug hold the little button pressed and then power on, and I get the status led flashing but still it doesn't reset

because.. I have set up wrong lan parameters and I can't access the router now on 192.168.1.1, trying to reset it two times already nothing works..

(Last edited by m0Fo on 12 Dec 2009, 11:27)

yea, so I managed to reset it and to upload the latest trendnet firmware, TEW632BRPA1_FW110B19.bin...

still, the reason I tried OpenWRT is because my WAN port seems to be fried, it's not working properly.. the led is not starting up, nothing.. and I installed OpenWRT because I thought that it should have some features to help me with this thing.

also, when I set up the connection settings for the WAN interface, on this trendnet firmware it looks that the settings aren't saved..

http://i48.tinypic.com/16ggxtl.jpg

if you ware experienced with OpenWRT, do you know if I could get OpenWRT with some modules to help me with my WAN not working issue? Some tools that could swap the WAN port with one of the four LAN ports and maybe create some sort of bridged lan and .. i donno I'm not very experienced with linux networks and OpenWRT..

help? fratzicu, I'm romanian too, help! smile

(Last edited by m0Fo on 12 Dec 2009, 11:59)

Hi and please help,

I'm an absolute newbie to DD-WRT. I have a DIR-615, RevC1. I wanted to try DD-WRT before but my router was upgraded to 3.11NA. Not sure if I could have done this all along but I got to recovery window and downgraded to Dlink 3.01 then tried this: openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni and tried download to router via the recovery window and then again (after going back to 3.01) through the webui and I can ping 192.168.1.1 but no access.

Reading in some notes I found I may have overlooked something about the serial interface. Do I still have to install serial adapter to gain access through webui? Is there a way around this? I don't want to build my own f/w from scratch and would like an easier alternative.

All I really wanted to gain ability to limit bandwidth by IP and make use of improved queuing for efficiency and speed on home network. Have I come to the right place or are other f/w versions discussed here a better fit for me?

TIA for some guidance!!

PS..about the backup comment, should I backup my default configuration or my preferred settings with IP addresses, DHCP, Firewall, etc. I should mention that I have Vonage VOIP and SIP should be disabled in the firewall. Please provide detailed answers and don't be concerned with TMI. Sorry for the lacking of knowledge and needing simplistic instructions. Thanks again.

(Last edited by armchair on 12 Dec 2009, 13:19)

armchair wrote:

Not sure if I could have done this all along but I got to recovery window and downgraded to Dlink 3.01 then tried this: openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni and tried download to router via the recovery window and then again (after going back to 3.01) through the webui and I can ping 192.168.1.1 but no access.

You should be able to telnet in as root.  Apparently some recent images don't have working luci (web ui) loaded.  But once you're at the command line, you can either configure manually, install different packages, or flash a new image using "mtd".  Other posts in these forums give details.

armchair wrote:

Reading in some notes I found I may have overlooked something about the serial interface. Do I still have to install serial adapter to gain access through webui?

The DIR-615C1, unlike the Trendnet equivalents and earlier DIR-615 versions, has no serial port. I learned this the hard way: I've bricked my DIR-615C1 and haven't figured out how to resurrect it yet :-(

Ok, the Luci wasn't working with latest .uni dated 12/3/2009. I loaded this one openwrt_r15686_ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni and it works as a DCHP router and assigned DHCP leases to my home network devices.

I'm very unclear about flashing updates safely without bricking router so I may stay with what I have for now. I tried to follow the directions on post #222 by Montyny but I'm not seeing the steps I need to take to find/change the URL and again, I'm concerned with flashing any packages or upgrading to latest trunk.

If someone feels compelled to lay this out in simplist terms, I'd give it a try. But also would be open to advice to leave it alone for now due to my limitations.

Update: I think my only option to keep LUCI is just customize this trunk, so I figured out what Montyny in post #222 said by changing first line of the opkg config to: src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8 … /packages/ and then updating packages in LUCI software tab. I was able to install Qos simply by typing Qos in "find package". I installed the two found Qos files but it took more than one attempt to successfully verify they installed and it only took one at a time. After reboot, I had to set my uplink speed manually to get a successful speed test at speedtest.net Then I made my changes in Qos settings which can be found in LUCI under the Network Tab.

I thought I would post the info for two reasons. One, to let forum know my progress and two, I asked for more details and the update may help someone else lacking the steps to do so.

Thanks to all that contribute to this forum and the developers of OpenWrt; very thankful to get this f/w on  my cheap router. I'm working with some beta s/w on home network and I hope the router enhancements improve my testing experience.

(Last edited by armchair on 15 Dec 2009, 14:37)

m0Fo wrote:

yea, so I managed to reset it and to upload the latest trendnet firmware, TEW632BRPA1_FW110B19.bin...

still, the reason I tried OpenWRT is because my WAN port seems to be fried, it's not working properly.. the led is not starting up, nothing.. and I installed OpenWRT because I thought that it should have some features to help me with this thing.

also, when I set up the connection settings for the WAN interface, on this trendnet firmware it looks that the settings aren't saved..

http://i48.tinypic.com/16ggxtl.jpg

if you ware experienced with OpenWRT, do you know if I could get OpenWRT with some modules to help me with my WAN not working issue? Some tools that could swap the WAN port with one of the four LAN ports and maybe create some sort of bridged lan and .. i donno I'm not very experienced with linux networks and OpenWRT..

help? fratzicu, I'm romanian too, help! smile

anyway.. I managed to get into recovery mode and got the original trendnet tew632 brp firmware.. after some reading I found out that I can swap port mappings and use one of the lan ports to act as a WAN port, and now I want to try out another OpenWRT image big_smile

could you guys recommend a working OpenWrt image for TRENDNET TEW-632BRP? (working WIFI too)

also, tell me if I'm doing something wrong if I change the firmware using the "Update firmware" option on my router.. (uploading a .uni)

THANK YOU!

Wow--thanks for openWRT!

I just built r18773 and installed on a DIR 615-C1--worked liked a charm.  I have now been testing in client mode to route from the LAN ports, and it seems pretty nice.  I was prepared for some messy hacking, but it all went smoothly.  Very nice!

One issue that I am having is that the router seems to reboot itself every few hours or even sooner.  It seems hard to get any log information as to why.  I have tried running
logread -f
from an ssh terminal to try to capture any info, but it does not show anything, at least not in time before the connection is broken.  It would be interesting to hear any ideas there.

Thanks again!

(Last edited by mmsd on 14 Dec 2009, 22:53)

Yes, the problems with connecting to luCI found in earlier versions seems to have been fixed. Thanks to the OpenWrt team.

HUH?

I just installed openwrt-ar71xx-tew-632brp-squashfs.uni dated 14-12-2009 and I get the redirect on /luci and "Not found"..

(Last edited by m0Fo on 15 Dec 2009, 17:09)

nevermind this, but help me out with this matter.. my WAN port is dead after a storm.. and I can use the router now only as a switch.. I read a lot on the forums and I found out that one can swap the port mappings by using vlans, so that my WAN port will be replaced by one of the LAN ports..

I've tried to setup the network using settings like these:

config 'switch' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan0' '0 2 3 4 5*'
        option 'vlan1' '1 5'

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.0'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'macaddr' ''
        option 'ip6addr' ''
        option 'gateway' ''
        option 'ip6gw' ''
        option 'dns' ''

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'macaddr' ''
        option 'ipaddr' '93.114.172.51'
        option 'ip6addr' ''
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.224'
        option 'gateway' '93.114.172.33'
        option 'ip6gw' ''
        option 'dns' ' 86.107.69.1 86.107.69.2'

but I had no succes, after the settings got saved I couldn't even ssh on the router.. and I started asking myself.. maybe the TRENDNET TEW-632BRP router does not support vlans?

Help guys.. I really need this sad

Howto write UNI openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni file to my dir-615? Via webinerface doesn't work.

I did use the DLINK web interface, but if the Dlink firmware is later than 3.10, a "00" needs to be added before "AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-02" towards the tail of the firmware file. 

The following perl would do that:

perl -i  -pe  ' s{AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-02}{00$&}'  openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni

Otherwise, one can load it into a hex editor and add the 00 by hand.  The size of the file should end up as 3866650 bytes.

mmsd: What about periodically auto reboot in DIR-615 C?

stanv:  I do not know the cause, but the DIR-615 C1 reboots itself periodically.  it can stay up for 1-6 hours at a time.  It could be a hardware issue--there is a watchdog on the chip that will reboot if there are problems.  So far, have not been able to capture any log information before the connection drops.

I can't upload OpenWRT firmware, even with zeros and correct size:

> ls -la openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni                           
-rw-r--r-- 1 stanv stanv 3866650 Dec 16 19:06 openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni

> grep '00AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-02' openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni
Binary file openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni matches

At DLINK site stated: Firmware    3.10    4/20/2009  ____ Revision Info:    Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading. Please read release notes before upgrading. _____

Aech time I get: The uploaded firmware file may not be correct. You may have uploaded a file that is not intended for this device, or the uploaded file may be corrupted.
Even via recovery mode nothing happens. (Firmware Upgrade System)

Also, I can't upload for example official FIRMAWARE: dir615_revC_firmware_301.bin, same message: Upload Failed. The uploaded firmware file may not be correct.

Please HELP!!!

(Last edited by stanv on 16 Dec 2009, 20:58)

stanv wrote:

I can't upload OpenWRT firmware, even with zeros and correct size:

> ls -la openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni                           
-rw-r--r-- 1 stanv stanv 3866650 Dec 16 19:06 openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni

> grep '00AP81-AR9130-RT-070614-02' openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni
Binary file openwrt-ar71xx-dir-615c1-squashfs.uni matches

At DLINK site stated: Firmware    3.10    4/20/2009  ____ Revision Info:    Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading. Please read release notes before upgrading. _____

Aech time I get: The uploaded firmware file may not be correct. You may have uploaded a file that is not intended for this device, or the uploaded file may be corrupted.
Even via recovery mode nothing happens. (Firmware Upgrade System)

Also, I can't upload for example official FIRMAWARE: dir615_revC_firmware_301.bin, same message: Upload Failed. The uploaded firmware file may not be correct.

Please HELP!!!

SOLVED!! DO NOT USE FIREFOX FOR UPLOAD FIRMARE VIA RECOVERY MODE!

I noticed there's a Dec 17 firmware release on the trunk. Is LUCI fixed in there?

Also, is it possible for someone to please get a "clean boot" build added to the builds so folks like me who don't have a build environment can install packages like LUCI independently?

Personally I am interested to try the Gargoyle interface, but with the pre-built firmware loaded it's impossible since there is not enough space to add packages...

TIA

I have r18794 working with luCI. When I built the firmware I had to ensure that in menuconfig all relevant luci packages were selected (check in Luci -> Components, Libraries, Themes, Translations):

luci-admin-core
luci-admin-full
luci-app-ddns
luci-app-firewall
luci-app-ntpc
luci-app-qos
luci-cbi
luci-core
luci-http
luci-i18n-english
luci-ipkg
luci-lmo
luci-lucid
luci-nixio
luci-px5g
luci-sgi-cgi
luci-sys
luci-theme-base
luci-theme-openwrt
luci-uci
luci-uvl
luci-web

travisdane wrote:

I have r18794 working with luCI. When I built the firmware I had to ensure that in menuconfig all relevant luci packages were selected (check in Luci -> Components, Libraries, Themes, Translations):

luci-admin-core
luci-admin-full
luci-app-ddns
luci-app-firewall
luci-app-ntpc
luci-app-qos
luci-cbi
luci-core
luci-http
luci-i18n-english
luci-ipkg
luci-lmo
luci-lucid
luci-nixio
luci-px5g
luci-sgi-cgi
luci-sys
luci-theme-base
luci-theme-openwrt
luci-uci
luci-uvl
luci-web

I used prebuild from: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

# opkg list | grep luci
luci-core - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-http - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-lmo - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-lucid - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-nixio - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-px5g - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-sgi-cgi - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-sys - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-theme-base - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-theme-openwrt - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-uci - 0.9+svn5622-1
luci-web - 0.9+svn5622-1

In prebuild r18794 luci doesn't work out form box.

I have DLINK DIR-615 C

dmesg:
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'ath9k_rate_control'
phy0: Atheros AR9100 MAC/BB Rev:0 AR2122 RF Rev:a2 mem=0xb80c0000, irq=2
cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US

Bitrates (non-HT):
                        * 1.0 Mbps
                        * 2.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
                        * 5.5 Mbps (short preamble supported)
                        * 11.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
                        * 6.0 Mbps
                        * 9.0 Mbps
                        * 12.0 Mbps
                        * 18.0 Mbps
                        * 24.0 Mbps
                        * 36.0 Mbps
                        * 48.0 Mbps
                        * 54.0 Mbps

kmod-ath9k_2.6.30.10+2009-12-05-8_ar71xx.ipk

Is it possible turn N mode ?

stanv wrote:

I have DLINK DIR-615 C

dmesg:
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'ath9k_rate_control'
phy0: Atheros AR9100 MAC/BB Rev:0 AR2122 RF Rev:a2 mem=0xb80c0000, irq=2
cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US

Bitrates (non-HT):
                        * 1.0 Mbps
                        * 2.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
                        * 5.5 Mbps (short preamble supported)
                        * 11.0 Mbps (short preamble supported)
                        * 6.0 Mbps
                        * 9.0 Mbps
                        * 12.0 Mbps
                        * 18.0 Mbps
                        * 24.0 Mbps
                        * 36.0 Mbps
                        * 48.0 Mbps
                        * 54.0 Mbps

kmod-ath9k_2.6.30.10+2009-12-05-8_ar71xx.ipk

Is it possible turn N mode ?

Interesting... the build I am using for most of my experimentation is 16722 on a DIR-615C1 until I can find a better alternative. I connect it in routed-client mode to my main router DIR-628, and the main router shows that the link with the DIR-615 client is established as an N at around 80-120 Mbs depending on changing local conditions (SNR).

Compiled Kamikaze r18880

Today I compiled Kamikaze r18880 for Trendnet TEW-632BRP. It contains uhub, n2n, ctorrent, cifs and webif2.

The announcement is on the website:
http://sites.google.com/site/fratzicu/n … kazer18880

Complete set of compiled firmware images and compiled packages:
http://cid-28edcbba0b0ec4b1.skydrive.li … EW-632-BRP
From here you can also download and install the packages directly, even with opkg install:
http://www.wuala.com/fratzicu/Public/Op … EW-632-BRP

Hope it helps. Happy holidays!

(Last edited by fratzicu on 22 Dec 2009, 03:20)