OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Trendnet TEW-632BRP, TEW-652BRP, DLink DIR-615 C1, CC WLN2206 working!

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello forum,

I have flashed several trunks to my Dir-615-C1 but was not able to customize those builds due to packages I'm trying to install are too big. So I was wondering if these could be built into a flash build without becoming too large to flash?

Packages I have: uShare, libdlna, Palantir, RTPproxy, and libdvbpsi. (there's no room for a webui with the trunk I started with but I think I can still configure it with WinSCP?) These were opkg installed on fratzicu's build: http://cid-28edcbba0b0ec4b1.skydrive.li … uashfs.uni  One problem it seems to helped was the local graphics and menu navigation over HD streamed video but it still isn't without fault and application is beta test s/w on my home entertainment system.

Packages I would like to include in a flash build in addition to the ones above are: mrd6 and Freeswitch-mod-local-stream. And the webui if possible, in the order of preference if one is inclined to try.

These packages are mostly A/V streaming packages and may be over-kill but I'm testing a beta application that is not supported so I'm not sure which one to go with without multiple flashes to narrow it down. I'm not using any IPv4 to v6 tunneling, bittorent, or even wireless with this router if that helps any.

I'm thinking that once these are added to the necessary packages, it will not fit within a safe flash uni, is that correct?

I have been trying last night and this morning (Merry Christmas smile) to get OpenWRT running on my C1 DIR-615.  I am able to get it to take the image from the web interface, but then the router goes into a mode where the power light is solid and green, the globe is flashing and amber, and the port i'm connected to is solid and green.  At this point, I can always get to the recovery interface.  I don't have to pull power or hold the reset....it is already in the state where you can use the recover interface.

From the recover interface, I try to put OpenWRT on with the 00 before the hardware ID and without and I get nothing, it just goes back to the state I explained above.  I was able to get R14959 working once (was hoping to get the newer one) but I took it off and cannot get back to it.  Putting the original D-Link firmware back on is easy and always works.  It also saves my settings (root password and all).  I'm guessing this is a separate flash that I didn't overwrite?

Any thoughts?  I'm just trying to get the router to the point where it is stable.  I'm sick of having to reboot just to get an IP assigned to my laptop.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I might try to stick the trendnet firmware on to see where I can get.

Gaston wrote:

I have been trying last night and this morning (Merry Christmas smile) to get OpenWRT running on my C1 DIR-615.  I am able to get it to take the image from the web interface, but then the router goes into a mode where the power light is solid and green, the globe is flashing and amber, and the port i'm connected to is solid and green.  At this point, I can always get to the recovery interface.  I don't have to pull power or hold the reset....it is already in the state where you can use the recover interface.

From the recover interface, I try to put OpenWRT on with the 00 before the hardware ID and without and I get nothing, it just goes back to the state I explained above.  I was able to get R14959 working once (was hoping to get the newer one) but I took it off and cannot get back to it.  Putting the original D-Link firmware back on is easy and always works.  It also saves my settings (root password and all).  I'm guessing this is a separate flash that I didn't overwrite?

Any thoughts?  I'm just trying to get the router to the point where it is stable.  I'm sick of having to reboot just to get an IP assigned to my laptop.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I might try to stick the trendnet firmware on to see where I can get.

I haven't seen anyone mention a similar scenario but when I flash from the recovery splash screen, the progress stops at 100% and the power light stops blinking...I never get the confirmation that I successfully flashed openwrt. At that point I disconnect power to router and cable modem, reset my PC to obtain DHCP IP address, restart the cable modem, then reconnect power to my router. It reboots with openwrt and sends DHCP IP addresses with no problem.

The newer trunks do not have a webui in the flash, so I telnet in the new IP from the PC Command Prompt (telnet 192.168.1.1, enter) and then opkg update/opkg install luci-admin-full/opkg install luci-fastindex/opkg install luci-theme-openwrt (or luci-theme-openwrtlight for retaining more flash space for packages). I install these as a minimum to get a webui then I start testing different packages by using the opkg install <pkg> -test (to see if the package will install due to limited flash left and install based on test results and trial and error).

Doesn't sound like your router is bricked but maybe the step you omitted was disconnecting power after flashing openwrt, unless I'm the one skipping steps...I'm new at this too but these steps I've done repeatedly trying to find a package and trunk that fits my needs.

Thanks for the help armchair smile  I guess I should have added that when I do the recover console, it stops at 54% and takes me to a page not found.  I looked through the code but didn't find any sort of redirect code, so I'm not sure why it's doing that.  I am using IE.  I was wondering why it didn't get to 100%, but even with the D-Link firmware, it only goes to 54% and then it boots and is correct.  On that note, it isn't bricked, because I am always able to get back to the D-Link firmware...it's just being odd.

So just to add to what I was doing.  I put the firmware on the router.  Give it some time to complete (since it doesn't get to 100% but that still works with the standard DLink firmware).  Pull the power and make sure that the interface is set to DHCP.  Then I get nothing.  Set the IP static back to 192.168.0.2, and I get the Recovery Interface.

Mine D-615 dies at 50%-60% as well. Can't go back to original d-link firmware, but the newer builds seem to work all right, albeit without luci and telnet - they preserve all my previous settings, so don't really need gui. Also, if I go back to the older revisions, I get my luci back.  I also tried to install new revisions using [ mtd -r xxx.uni firmware ] - after some time, it crashes with "Failed to erase block" message. I think it might be possible we triggered a one-time write protection - smth like post # 5 at http://open-wrt.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22835.

(Last edited by maksym on 25 Dec 2009, 05:38)

Can't believe the procedure for getting the missing WIFI and Luci running on D-615 is so simple - just make sure your router is connected to Internet, telnet to it and follow steps 6-10 on https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=21425.

maksym wrote:

Can't believe the procedure for getting the missing WIFI and Luci running on D-615 is so simple - just make sure your router is connected to Internet, telnet to it and follow steps 6-10 on https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=21425.

I notice that you didn't recommend the first 5 steps. Is that because "making room" by removing packages actually makes less room or am I doing something wrong myself.

FWIW, since I found "making room" with trunk builds to be problematic, I'm no longer using that approach. I'd like to build my own and see if I can make some room of my own by building a customized build but I suspect with so little flash ram, there's not much wiggle room to add a lot of packages or customize by sacrificing some applications.

armchair wrote:

I notice that you didn't recommend the first 5 steps. Is that because "making room" by removing packages actually makes less room or am I doing something wrong myself.

Nah, I did not uninstall ppp because luci and wifi fitted as is - at least I did not get any error or "no space" messages.

I just meant the procedure of installing the packages through console from the web, including luci and wifi, is really simple - literally plug-and-play experience, no hunting for dependencies / configuring stuff needed. This is something that scared me before as I used to manage all the packages through luci's gui.

Anyways, after the install, I noticed Luci runs slow at times, though this might be a side effect of something else. I did not try to investigate it since after playing too much with config through ssh I feel comfortable enough to do without luci, so  removed it all together.

Also, if you are running D-615 with one of the later revisions, you might want to adjust some settings to get WiFi working properly, see posts #1-#3 at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22959.

maksym wrote:
armchair wrote:

Nah, I did not uninstall ppp because luci and wifi fitted as is - at least I did not get any error or "no space" messages.

I just meant the procedure of installing the packages through console from the web, including luci and wifi, is really simple - literally plug-and-play experience, no hunting for dependencies / configuring stuff needed. This is something that scared me before as I used to manage all the packages through luci's gui.

Anyways, after the install, I noticed Luci runs slow at times, though this might be a side effect of something else. I did not try to investigate it since after playing too much with config through ssh I feel comfortable enough to do without luci, so  removed it all together.

Also, if you are running D-615 with one of the later revisions, you might want to adjust some settings to get WiFi working properly, see posts #1-#3 at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22959.

Yes, I also found opkg update and install quite useful and it even explains issues with package install/configurations better than Luci's error codes. I found it a comfortable environment as well. If I were more comfortable with script setups and editing, I would have no use for Luci either. Unfortunately, I still need a user interface to configure ports for forwarded packets. I would welcome any advice on that. If I ever get to the point where I can build my own f/w, I may save my configuration and rebuild another and transfer the scripts on a custom build w/o a webui.

But I wonder if I'm the only one experiencing a loss of flash space by removing packages to "make more room" for others as the poster described? For example, I removed the ones mentioned in the post and some others because I was trying to make even more room to customize and ran into a space problem sooner rather than later when trying opkg install after opkg remove. IMO or experience, I'm not realizing a gain in flash space by removing or even trying to force an overwrite of the unwanted package. I'm under the impression that if I want to customize in this manner, it would require a build rather than modifying a pre-built trunk. Am I right on this theory or am I doing something wrong?

maksym, I find your posts useful and think it could help newcomers. I do not not intend to question the validity of your source, I was only intending to use the reference as an opportunity to ask my question. And to direct my question to the forum members with knowledge and experience to guide me.

maksym wrote:

Mine D-615 dies at 50%-60% as well. Can't go back to original d-link firmware, but the newer builds seem to work all right, albeit without luci and telnet - they preserve all my previous settings, so don't really need gui. Also, if I go back to the older revisions, I get my luci back.  I also tried to install new revisions using [ mtd -r xxx.uni firmware ] - after some time, it crashes with "Failed to erase block" message. I think it might be possible we triggered a one-time write protection - smth like post # 5 at http://open-wrt.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22835.

When you say that you have been able to get newer builds to work, can you tell me which newer build?  Did you compile yourself or use a pre-compiled?  Thanks smile

Gaston, I am using r18719 that I picked up from the snapshots directory at http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/.

Also, somebody reported compiling and using r18957 :  https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 450#p99450

Gaston wrote:
maksym wrote:

When you say that you have been able to get newer builds to work, can you tell me which newer build?  Did you compile yourself or use a pre-compiled?  Thanks smile

maksym wrote:

Gaston, I am using r18719 that I picked up from the snapshots directory at http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/.

Also, somebody reported compiling and using r18957 :  https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 450#p99450

I got my DIR-615 on Black Friday because I bricked my Linksys WRT54G by flashing a new Tomato firmware over WiFi (I did that before several times without any problem). I picked DIR-615 because it was so cheap ($20) for an N-300 router. I did not do a research on it before I went to the store. Later I found out that DIR-615 (like other routers from D-Link) does not work well with VoIP. I just could not make a call using Linksys PAP2T through DIR-615 router even if I put in DMZ. For unknown reason, the original DIR-615 firmwares (v3.10 & 3.11NA) block port 5060 and there is noway I could open it. That brings me to this forum as the only alternative DIR-615 firmware available to date. To make the story short, last Monday I compiled OpenWRT firmware using r18957 following steps in https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=81494
which appeared to be very simple. I am a novice and have no previous experience at all with openwrt. I have a running Ubuntu machine to start with, anyway. It took a while though for me to find where the .uni file is located, which is in bin/ directory. Last night I flashed the DIR-615 and played with LUCI for the configuration. However, SSH did not allow me to login after I set a password from LUCI. The password should be set through telnet while the password is still blank if you want to have an SSH root access. So far so good with r18957, and I am going to test it with VoIP, hopefully during the New Year's break.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten access point isolation/wireless isolation working. I have tried on my Dlink with no luck, all computers connected wirelessly can still see each other. Anyone know if this is a bug or just something that is not supported by ath9k driver at this point?

WiFi connection seems to be ok without encryption. However, if I set the encryption (WEP, WPA or WPA2), it does not show as an encrypted AP from a client PC, and if I try to connect, WiFi will crash. Does somebody experience the same problem? I compiled the firmware using r18957.

I use the 1-2-2010 snapshot firware for dir615c. I installed the ath9k package.
1.My WIFI is easy to be dead after several hours.
2.If I set encryption to WPA, my Computer can not find the router. If WPA2, my roomate's computer can not find the router. Without encryption, everyone can find it.

Betta wrote:

WiFi connection seems to be ok without encryption. However, if I set the encryption (WEP, WPA or WPA2), it does not show as an encrypted AP from a client PC, and if I try to connect, WiFi will crash. Does somebody experience the same problem? I compiled the firmware using r18957.

(Last edited by bitbear on 4 Jan 2010, 06:42)

bitbear wrote:

I use the 1-2-2010 snapshot firware for dir615c. I installed the ath9k package.
1.My WIFI is easy to be dead after several hours.
2.If I set encryption to WPA, my Computer can not find the router. If WPA2, my roomate's computer can not find the router. Without encryption, everyone can find it.

Betta wrote:

I remembered these posts here when I came across this comment yesterday (see last sentence of post and quote at bottom). It seems with the memory space limitation, one can either focus on a build with either wired or wireless application but there may not be enough memory to customize. I haven't tried this but it seems libopenssl should be built into a custom build, if it fits. Or maybe it will fit as an add-on package to the trunk snapshot?

Edit: After I posted this I came across another thread started by foxtroop11 that may have part of the solution and hopefully it will lead to a future fix: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=23037

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok … er_routers (this is the site I found the quote and I would would emphasize the last sentence of the quote below)

I took a look at Gargoyle using a AR71XX snapshot but the one I chose ended up with an incompatible note stating the gargoyle package was found but was not compatible with my snapshot (I don't know if using the last stable release would have worked or not, I gave up). I think I found another note stating my 32 bit processor on my Linux station was not going to work as a build station so I'll use the snapshots for now. The quote below is from the Gargoyle site and states the need for libopenssl... Maybe this will help someone here...

"Before you begin installation on a broadcom router you should verify that you have ~800kb of free space available, or ~2.0Mb on an atheros router. That's how much space gargoyle, along with all of it's dependencies requires. Atheros requires so much more space because it requires libopenssl (which is HUGE) to enable WPA wireless encryption."

(Last edited by armchair on 8 Jan 2010, 07:52)

Hello, and happy new year.

I would like to answer to some of your discussions:

1) the updating procedure (at least with my .uni files) from the emergency webui (the one with the DLINK DIR text) sometimes doesn't work with all the browsers. It works best with internet explorer. ALso, when you make the flash, the emergency router ip is from the class 192.168.10.x, and the updated firmware gives you by dhcp an IP from the class 192.168.1.x. So this could be a problem for the browser, it can't acess the page anymore after the flash. Also, if you have a static IP, you can't connect anymore to the router. Best, you have to set the IP to be taken automatically, and repair it after flashing to take the new class IP.

2) Now I use the r12615 firmware from my sites I shared, It is very stable, but it hasn't n speed. Also, the last firmwares I compiled should work, but it is a problem with the settings backup-restore which doesn't work, so I am too lousy to manually reintroduce them, so I stick with the older firmware.

3)when you select too many packages, obviously the firmware image becomes too large for the 4 mb available. You have to select only the packaes you need most. Also, I think the 400 mHz processor of the device couldn't handle many running programs. In our era, the mb space is not a problem, so I can't understand why they made the space so little - 4 mb, and only 16 mb of ram. But I guess to discourage the slow working with more packages. Who knows? I guess the next gneration routers would have better processors - 1 ghz, more space, etc, and n and gbit speed.

I reccommend you to compile a new image for your needs, but containing only networking tools, not many applications. I invite you to use my compiled firmwares, and comment them where you find space.

Dedicated website:
http://sites.google.com/site/fratzicu/n … kazer18880

Complete set of compiled firmware images and compiled packages:
http://cid-28edcbba0b0ec4b1.skydrive.li … EW-632-BRP
From here you can also download and install the packages directly, even with opkg install:
http://www.wuala.com/fratzicu/Public/Op … EW-632-BRP

Good luck, guys and girls!

Please help I'm stuck.

I have flashed my 652brp with OpenWRT using openwrt-ar71xx-tew-652brp-squashfs.uni. Luci is not working; I get a "not found" message when accessing Luci. I'm able to ssh into OpenWRT but don't know how to configure DHCP on WAN connection via CLI. See the link for info. Please help.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6920/captureqt.jpg

Also, how do I re-flash new version of OpenWRT from OpenWRT? I have tried tftp but seems like tftp server is not installed/running on the current OpenWRT.

(Last edited by mjonescalpoly on 12 Jan 2010, 23:37)

Anyone? Please.

mjonescalpoly wrote:

Please help I'm stuck.

I have flashed my 652brp with OpenWRT using openwrt-ar71xx-tew-652brp-squashfs.uni. Luci is not working; I get a "not found" message when accessing Luci. I'm able to ssh into OpenWRT but don't know how to configure DHCP on WAN connection via CLI. See the link for info. Please help.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6920/captureqt.jpg

Also, how do I re-flash new version of OpenWRT from OpenWRT? I have tried tftp but seems like tftp server is not installed/running on the current OpenWRT.

Re-flashing is not likely to fix Luci.

Have you tried: (?)
opkg update (requires Internet connection to router)
opkg install Luci-admin-full
opkg install Luci-app-firewall, then IP 192.1168.1.1 or continue loading preferred packages from telnet (not much space).

This should be the minimum to get Luci working for configuration using the trunk snapshots but sometimes for reasons I cannot explain, I have opkg install luci-fastindex while other times I don't have to. I actually prefer the telnet opkg install packages vs Luci.

The new snapshots have the f/w flash built-in to Luci, so upgrading is a snap from there but your selected packages will have to be opkg install(ed) again. Good Luck; enjoy.

Update: I edited this because I went through this exercise again.

I wouldn't recommend selecting the option to filter useless Windows DNS querries, basically, I crippled Luci to the point that I couldn't access most of the menus but got page not found instead. But I do remember the setting was still set to filter useless Windows DNS querries, so maybe I only needed to reboot to get the filter working properly without rendering Luci crippled?

Ugrading through Luci's built in flash with "keep configuration" did not retain my Qos settings; I had to reset them manually.

(Last edited by armchair on 14 Jan 2010, 07:29)

If you don't have Luci and would rather flash another f/w, go back to your recovery mode by cycling power and holding the reset button until the power indicator flashes then goto IP 192.168.10.1 or 192.168.0.1 and browse to saved location on PC for flash.

There are pre-built versions that have webui functioning; see fratzicu (above) and here's another I've tried: http://sites.google.com/a/roundsparrow. … nwrt_ap81/

Hi,
Does anybody have the DIR 615 fw modified so that it can be directly used by TEW 652BRP interface?
I am not very familiar with the usage of hexeditors and hence this request.
Thanks

dbisoi wrote:

Hi,
Does anybody have the DIR 615 fw modified so that it can be directly used by TEW 652BRP interface?
I am not very familiar with the usage of hexeditors and hence this request.
Thanks

Have you tried these: http://fs08n3.sendspace.com/dl/7eb5a633 … RP_MOD.zip

Here's one designed for your router: http://www.bitsum.com/tew632brp.php (downloads are at bottom the OP can modify/build you a custom flash for a donation)

Here's a simple/free editor (Notepad++) I found for Windows but apparently, it's compatible with Unix & MAC also: http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&site … 4b08cdf4f0

The hexid can be found by opening the file and scrolling to bottom/right but I thought that D-Link was the only model requiring the modification of the hexid? Anyway, I think the recovery flash has been modified with OpenWrt newer trunk flashes; I haven't had to modify a OpenWrt flash .uni in awhile for my DIR-615 h/w v.C1. It's actually simple to open your bin and compare or copy/paste it to another .uni or.bin if necessary.

There's also plenty of support here for OpenWrt; just ask. Good luck!

Hi Armchair,
My model is actuallu TEW 652 BRP.
thanks,
dbisoi