OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

edwards wrote:
youxiaojie wrote:
johan666 wrote:

You guy can try TFTP to flash your softbricked router.
The idea is during power-up, the bootloader will initial the lan port and listen for tftp message for a short period of time.
Once it received tftp command it will stop the bootup and then you can use tftp client to send firmware to the router.
Windows and Linux also included tftp client.
For details, go to openwrt documents or search over the internet.

I have tried this way,does not work.also only transmitted pocket without received pockets.Realy,on some time when powered on, the connexion shows 100Mb and then disconnected and then 10Mb.However there is no received pocker at all,that is to say ,I can not ping to 192.168.1.1 and tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wr703n.bin

As I mentioned before, May 29 firmware break wired connection.
But wifi should work properly.
Thus turn wifi on via ttl connection and then flash over wifi is possible. wink

Thanks to your guide though don't I try TTL. But in my opion,your tftp should take effect.When booting, the uboot partition is activated first,and the tftp/tftpd is an internal services integrated in uboot.The mtd command does not rewrite uboot or cfe.The May 29th version has the problem and to be activated after the uboot produce.Therefore I agree to you on the tftp flashing.I am not sure is any other ip address assigned to the lan port during the initialisation?By the way,I ask you three questions:
1 .what is the difference between "sysupdate" and "mtd" because I saw your details choose "sysupdate" insteads of "mtd".
2. can i config wifi ip address,dns,gateway in ttl failsafe? (convinence for me to download firmwares from downloads.openwrt.org directly)
and 3. need  I boot to failsafe by press reset button repeatly? (a way shown in howtos)

thanks

edwards wrote:

I know.
But my situation is different from you guys.
eth port is fine, but wifi won't start automatically after bootup in those May.29 builds.

I have just finished compile r32030, trying on it.

johan666 wrote:
edwards wrote:

I know.
But my situation is different from you guys.
eth port is fine, but wifi won't start automatically after bootup in those May.29 builds.

I have just finished compile r32030, trying on it.

you are luncky~ because you can easily login:) Is it caused by the pcb board version?

(Last edited by youxiaojie on 3 Jun 2012, 11:41)

youxiaojie wrote:
edwards wrote:
youxiaojie wrote:

I have tried this way,does not work.also only transmitted pocket without received pockets.Realy,on some time when powered on, the connexion shows 100Mb and then disconnected and then 10Mb.However there is no received pocker at all,that is to say ,I can not ping to 192.168.1.1 and tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wr703n.bin

Thanks to your guide though don't I try TTL. But in my opion,your tftp should take effect.When booting, the uboot partition is activated first,and the tftp/tftpd is an internal services integrated in uboot.The mtd command does not rewrite uboot or cfe.The May 29th version has the problem and to be activated after the uboot produce.Therefore I agree to you on the tftp flashing.I am not sure is any other ip address assigned to the lan port during the initialisation?By the way,I ask you three questions:
1 .what is the difference between "sysupdate" and "mtd" because I saw your details choose "sysupdate" insteads of "mtd".
2. can i config wifi ip address,dns,gateway in ttl failsafe? (convinence for me to download firmwares from downloads.openwrt.org directly)
and 3. need  I boot to failsafe by press reset button repeatly? (a way shown in howtos)

thanks

1. Both command is ok. The config is not broken thus I use sysupgrade -v.
2. I think you can. You need to edit /etc/config/wireless or other settings and reboot to take effect. (uci and wifi not work in ttl failsafe...)
    When wifi up, ssh via wifi is possible and you are able to do lots of things.
3. No need.

These are my steps for "ap" mode:
1. Use another network to download firmware to my mac.
2. Got wifi work then ssh to 703n via wifi.
3. Set up apache http server on my mac(192.168.1.232).
4. `wget http://192.168.1.232/openwrt.bin `

Or steps for "sta" mode:
1. Connect 703n to an AP which is connected to Internet
2. Connect you computer to that AP.
3. SSH to 703n. (Port forwarding on AP may needed)
4. Download firmware directly from openwrt.org

(Last edited by edwards on 3 Jun 2012, 12:59)

love your style I will subscribe for your feed please keep posting!

sound level

edwards wrote:

Or steps for "sta" mode:
1. Connect 703n to an AP which is connected to Internet
2. Connect you computer to that AP.
3. SSH to 703n. (Port forwarding on AP may needed)
4. Download firmware directly from openwrt.org

If just wifi is working,
try connect through wifi, then excuite "ifup lan"
see if the eth port can bring up.

damn, My 703n's tpout pad is out of broad:(shit~

(Last edited by youxiaojie on 8 Jun 2012, 04:09)

youxiaojie wrote:

damn, My 703n's tpout pad is out of broad:(shit~

You can always solder a wire to the connected component (resister or capacitor) pin.  You should use a thin wire, as thin as you can handle, as you already found out.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 8 Jun 2012, 05:56)

youxiaojie wrote:

have tried this way,does not work.also only transmitted pocket without received pockets.Realy,on some time when powered on, the connexion shows 100Mb and then disconnected and then 10Mb.However there is no received pocker at all,that is to say ,I can not ping to 192.168.1.1 and tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wr703n.bin

TFTF address of router under Uboot is 192.168.1.100
Your TFTP server must be 192.168.1.111

Solder serial lines and attach to a TTL converter or nokia usb cable

Follow these directions

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=36594

You dont have to use the original firmware as outlined in these posts, you can use

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin

I have finished moding my wr703n,add ttl to usb connector and succeessfully enter the failsafe mod by ttl.however,I did not find the file "/etc/config/wireless",moreover,the /etc/config seems to be readable only.I try to vi a new wireless,reslutlessness.need help:)

Hi all, first of all this forum made me to use a lot from my router. I have a question that, I need to bridge my internet that comes from USB with Ethernet. Basically I managed to connect my tablet to 703n but I cannot route the internet to Ethernet device. What should I change in the network settings? Using the wi-fi from there as well would be awesome.

Thanks,

(new member here--please be gentle!)  I got my TL-WR703N today, and proceeded to flash it with these instructions.  But now I cannot connect to it--it does not appear as an available wireless connection, and I'm not sure how to get to the web interface via ethernet. When I connect via ethernet, I get assigned 192.168.1.122 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1, but when I try to navigate to 192.168.1.1, the connection is refused.

It appears that I can get the router into failsafe mode by pushing the reset button when the LED begins blinking (it starts blinking quickly, which would indicate that openwrt is working), but I still cannot connect via wireless, and the connection is refused when I connect via ethernet.

Did I do something wrong?  How can I debrick my router?

UPDATE:  I *can* telnet to it, but now what?
UPDATE2:  I've set the root password, so I can SSH now.  But how do I get the rest of it working?
UPDATE3:  Got it working, thanks to reading some more of the documentation.  Feel free to ignore this post now!

(Last edited by Mohonri on 26 Jun 2012, 04:32)

Mohonri wrote:

(new member here--please be gentle!)  I got my TL-WR703N today, and proceeded to flash it with these instructions.  But now I cannot connect to it--it does not appear as an available wireless connection, and I'm not sure how to get to the web interface via ethernet. When I connect via ethernet, I get assigned 192.168.1.122 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1, but when I try to navigate to 192.168.1.1, the connection is refused.

It appears that I can get the router into failsafe mode by pushing the reset button when the LED begins blinking (it starts blinking quickly, which would indicate that openwrt is working), but I still cannot connect via wireless, and the connection is refused when I connect via ethernet.

Did I do something wrong?  How can I debrick my router?

UPDATE:  I *can* telnet to it, but now what?
UPDATE2:  I've set the root password, so I can SSH now.  But how do I get the rest of it working?

Do "ipkg update", "ipkg install luci".  Then you can use web interface to config.

twinclouds wrote:

Do "ipkg update", "ipkg install luci".  Then you can use web interface to config.

It appears the only way I can ssh is via a direct ethernet connection between my computer and the router. In which case it can't connect to the internet to get the package.  At the moment, my laptop is connected to the TL-WR703n via wireless, and the TL-WR703n is connected to my main router via ethernet.  The TL-WR703n appears to be acting like a transparent access point--I can't connect to it via any sort of IP address.

Am I missing something?

Mohonri wrote:
twinclouds wrote:

It appears the only way I can ssh is via a direct ethernet connection between my computer and the router. In which case it can't connect to the internet to get the package.  At the moment, my laptop is connected to the TL-WR703n via wireless, and the TL-WR703n is connected to my main router via ethernet.  The TL-WR703n appears to be acting like a transparent access point--I can't connect to it via any sort of IP address.

Am I missing something?

I think what your setup is normal.  Your router should be your gateway to the outside world. If you do a "ping google.com" can you get anything?  If not, you should take a look at your /etc/config/network file.  What does it say?  BTW, what is your ip address your notebook connected to and what is your router's address?

twinclouds wrote:

I think what your setup is normal.  Your router should be your gateway to the outside world. If you do a "ping google.com" can you get anything?  If not, you should take a look at your /etc/config/network file.  What does it say?  BTW, what is your ip address your notebook connected to and what is your router's address?

I've actually made some progress!  Here's how my network is set up:  the main router is 10.7.1.1.  The TL-WR703n gets assigned 10.7.1.113, but I only know that from looking at the DHCP client list for the main router.  I can ssh to the TL-WR703n from both my laptop (which is connected via wireless to the "OpenWrt 2" access point) and from my desktop (which is on the same ethernet switch with the TL-WR703n). The laptop has been assigned 10.7.1.134.

To get to this point, I had to unplug the WR703n's ethernet cable, connect from the laptop via ssh over wireless, and edit /etc/config/network to make the 'lan' interface use DHCP.  Prior to that I could only ssh to 192.168.1.1, which only worked if the ethernet cable was *not* plugged into the WR703n.

here's the current /etc/config/network:

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        # option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
        # option netmask '255.255.255.0'

I've installed luci, and it's accessible from both the wired and wireless networks.  My concern right now is that I don't know of a way to get the IP address of the WR703n without access to the upstream router.  In other words, if I go to a place where I have no access to the upstream DHCP server, I won't know what IP address to use in order to get to the WR703n.  What I'd like to do is configure it like a traditional home router, where the upstream router sees a single device, and the WR703n handles DHCP and NAT for devices connected via wireless.

Good.  I think you are fine now.
As for the ip address of your 703n, why don't you try to do an "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" from your command window on your notebook first to see if you can fine out which is your notebook's address and maybe also the 703n's address.  If not you can use a free program called "Advanced IP Scanner" from www.radmin.com (or similar ones).  Set the scan address range to be the entire subnet that the notebook is on and it should tell you all of the ip addressed on the subnet being used including the one used by 703n.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 26 Jun 2012, 07:33)

Hello

Is it possible to broadcast dvb-t channel(s) over network (USB tuner based on IT9135 chipset) using this router and openwrt ?

(Last edited by bdkacz_ on 26 Jun 2012, 20:16)

Hi. Anyone got wr703n working with 3G dongle (Huawei K3765). Alternatively I believe it's possible to flash with mr3020 or other. I have Luci working ok so maybe flash using would be straight forward??

(Last edited by PeterN on 3 Jul 2012, 21:26)

i can't make work my 3g usb modems with 703N.

There are two 3g modems:
1. Novatel MC990D
2. Alcatel X228L

and Tp-Link 703N with the latest openwrt firmware on board.

For Novatel MC990D modem i have the following messages in dmesg output if modem plugged-in after 703N already booted:

[  231.550000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[  231.700000] usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 5 but max is 0
[  231.710000] usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 0
[  238.140000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[  238.420000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[  238.570000] usb 1-1: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 5 but max is 0
[  238.580000] usb 1-1: config 1 has no interface number 0
[  238.640000] usb 1-1: string descriptor 0 read error: -71
[  238.680000] usb 1-1: can't set config #1, error -71
[  238.680000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[  238.910000] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

For Alcatel X228L:
[  151.630000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[  158.190000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[  158.480000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[  158.750000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[  159.040000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
[  159.200000] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

Both of modems has flash storage but i don't know how to disable it. AT^UDIAG=0 command which i use for huawei modems returns ERROR.

PeterN wrote:

Hi. Anyone got wr703n working with 3G dongle (Huawei K3765). Alternatively I believe it's possible to flash with mr3020 or other. I have Luci working ok so maybe flash using would be straight forward??

My Huawei K3765 is working properly with mr3020 (OpenWrt image made by Obsy - http://eko.one.pl)

bdkacz_ wrote:

Is it possible to broadcast dvb-t channel(s) over network (USB tuner based on IT9135 chipset) using this router and openwrt ?

the mumuDVB project should do that  http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mumudvb

with this how to, http://mumudvb.braice.net/mumudrupal/node/36 written for the Linksys NSLU2 it should be possible to install it on WR703n which has better speccs. maybe additional space is needed.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

(Last edited by cave on 22 Jul 2012, 18:32)

finally i changed my usb 3g modems to huawei E1820.

i'm able to connect to 3g network but after 2-3 minutes modem disconnects:

[   10.150000] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[   10.200000] USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[   10.210000] option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   10.210000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[   10.220000] option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   10.220000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[   10.230000] option 1-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   10.240000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
[   10.240000] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[   10.250000] option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
[   14.400000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
[  167.500000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[  167.510000] option: option_instat_callback: error -143
[  167.510000] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected fr
om ttyUSB0
[  167.520000] option 1-1:1.0: device disconnected
[  167.530000] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected fr
om ttyUSB1
[  167.530000] option 1-1:1.1: device disconnected
[  167.540000] option1 ttyUSB2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected fr
om ttyUSB2
[  167.540000] option 1-1:1.2: device disconnected
[  167.830000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[  167.990000] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

what can be wrong?

I haven't update the 703n firmware for some time.  Does the latest trunk firmware work alright now?