OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi,

I flashed successfully my rt-16 router, thanks a lot VeNoM for yours builds. It works very good, except the WiFi with a very low transmit rate. And it does not support 802.11n. Is there any solution to improve it ?

I am a new openwrt user for rt-n16 as well. Thanks everyone for the great work. I just want to post some of my experience regarding the wireless network config, hopefully it will help.

To be specifc: I flashed my rt-n16 router from tomatousb to http://openwrt.razvi.ro/barrier_braker_asus_rt-n16_svn_r35893/openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx

After some basic configuration, everything was up and running. Although the Luci config page shows only 802.11bg mode, it did connect at 802.11n speed for me. However it was only at 150mbps.

I did some research, finally enabled 40mhz channel width, and got it working at 300mbps. I had to do:

wlc down
wl -i wl0 chanspec 6l ( set to channel 6l for example )
wlc up

You can type 'wl -i wl0 chanspecs' to see all available channels, 40mhz width ones are 1l, 2l, 3l, ... , 5u, 6u 7u etc.

I am not sure if there is a way to do this cleanly through uci. If someone knows how to do that, please post. I ended up putting the above commands in the "custom startup" section using Luci.

BTW to get 300mbps, you have to use WPA2 PSK encryption, and the laptop (client) need to support that.

I am still on BB 35318 on my RT-N16. I have posted before that my Guest WIFI goes walkies after a few days. It all looks fine in the GUI but no scanner can see the second network or sign onto it. Nobody has offered any ideas so far.

Yesterday I needed to get into my modem downstream of the Asus. Could not connect. Looked in my logs, I get the line stats out of the modem every five minutes, and it had stopped working about 24 hours previously. Bounced the modem - no change. Ran traceroute to the modem to see that the first hop was my ISP! Rebooted the Asus and now I can talk to the modem again *and* the guest WIFI is back. The router had been up for over 60 days. Looks to me if something fills up and silently stops working. Because the SNAT rule to allow the LAN to get to the modem never got entered  whilst I was trying to get to the modem - ie it's counter never increased.  The guest WIFI usually stops being visible after a few days.

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12906 is resolved now, so b43 may be used now without losing wired connection.

I wondering, E2000 and E3000 have support for failsafe mode? If yes, what's working method for getting it boot into failsafe mode?

Maybe dns is not working. Try pinging 173.194.70.138 (google.com)

Hi ping google.com does not work..

try to ping 8.8.8.8

ping 8.8.8.8 is good (returned 56 bytes)

I might be wrong but doesn't that ping the router?

Also just to clear things up when i flashed i just used the "openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx" file from the build.

i did not compile anything and from the looks of it all of my kmods and other files were installed.
Should i have tried to compile the whole package or did i flash right (cause i don't know how to use the image builder and have very little experience in linux).

thanks maurer,
however i am new to openwrt
After reading the material and trying different things
I must not understand it cause i still can not get a connection

Can you ping google *by ip address*?

What appears to be broken is the part of the router that translates google.com into 173.194.70.138 if pinging the first fails and the second works then you have a DNS problem.

What is your WAN side connection type? What does the GUI say is the DNS? Status - Network - WAN

Hmmm...
Type: dhcp
Address: 192.168.1.64
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS 1: 192.168.1.254
Connected: 4h 29m 47s

Shouldn't i have a 2nd dns that says 8.8.8.8?

That's your WAN address? It's a private address range. Of  course some ISPs do that. I am using PPPoE and I am not sure where one sets which DNS servers to use as I seem to get the two my ISP puts out and I cannot see where one could override them. Sorry I can't be more help.

well no.
thats not actually what my wan addy is but that is what my n16 is saying it is

figured it out today... What i had to do was assign a different default IP address to the router, since i already had one device with the ip address of 192.168.1.1 (even though the device was disconnected and not powered on) after that DCHP took care of the rest.

Sorry, posts 294 to 300 are missing from our archive.