OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I am unable to get 802.11n working correctly with the latest build from trunk. I only seem to be able to use b/g and sadly with a maximum speed of 18 mbps on my rt-n16.  Is this a know limitation?

It also seems i'm limited to 100mbps on the Ethernet Lan ports.

(Last edited by ronsumeer!! on 1 Jul 2013, 01:47)

Quick Question -- I just installed Barrier Breaker r36828 (squash).  Working good.  Does this support 802.11r ?  The advanced options in the wireless settings show various  802.11b+g options.

We have a bunch of RT-N16's at our warehouse (running ddwrt) and just got a few wireless voip phones.  Every time they switch to another router it takes about 4-8 seconds to establish a new connection.  I read that OpenWRT had 802.11r support so I figured I would give it a shot on my home router first.  With only 1 router I don't really have a way to test the handover and I'd rather not sabotage the routers at work, so I figured I would  simply ask.

(Last edited by dennispaulbaker on 3 Jul 2013, 09:48)

OpenWrt supports hostapd's 802.11r capabilities but since this platform uses the prorietary broadcom wireless stack there is no OpenWrt-side support for this.

if i understand correctly, wifi adapter is controlled by package broadcom-wl.
but the file /lib/wifi/broadcom.sh contains strange line:

#append if_up "ifconfig $ifname up" ";$N"

why it is commented out?
until i uncommented that line, i observed the strange behavior of the router:
1. i enabled wifi
2. wifi works
3. i run "/etc/init.d/network reload" (which also runs from luci with "luci-reload network")
4. wifi does not work ("ip a sh wl0" shows that wl0 is down)
5. i run "/etc/init.d/network reload" again
6. wifi works ("ip a sh wl0" shows that wl0 is up)
and so on.

once i uncommented line, wifi began to work after each call to the "/etc/init.d/network reload" .

patch:

diff --git a/package/broadcom-wl/files/lib/wifi/broadcom.sh b/package/broadcom-wl/files/lib/wifi/broadcom.sh
index 0e41f04..e2c3088 100644
--- a/package/broadcom-wl/files/lib/wifi/broadcom.sh
+++ b/package/broadcom-wl/files/lib/wifi/broadcom.sh
@@ -300,7 +300,7 @@ enable_broadcom() {
                append vif_post_up "enabled 1" "$N"

config_get ifname "$vif" ifname
-               #append if_up "ifconfig $ifname up" ";$N"
+               append if_up "ifconfig $ifname up" ";$N"

local net_cfg
                net_cfg="$(find_net_config "$vif")"

(Last edited by sash-kan on 4 Jul 2013, 20:14)

jow wrote:

OpenWrt supports hostapd's 802.11r capabilities but since this platform uses the prorietary broadcom wireless stack there is no OpenWrt-side support for this.

So does that mean that it is supported for other routers, just not the Asus RT-N16?

Is there a router or chipset that you would recommend the works best with hostapd's 802.11r implementation?

it seems, from the commit 216525 (svn r36987), the lan network is broken.
the same for asus.rt-n66u

Noticed that myself too.  Had unsuccessful build r37052 & r37076.  Similar issues with DHCP.  reverted to r36985...

Does this version supports vlan id which is over 16? According to wiki

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network/switch

The number of the VLAN is specified on the option vlan line. The VID (VLAN ID) associated with a VLAN is by default the same as the number of the VLAN. This is overridden by using an option pvid line so, for example, that VLAN 1 could use VID 100.

Also some articles mentioned below parameters:

enable_vlan: 1
        enable_vlan4k: 0

But I can't make it work

Downloaded and flashed the r36828 build onto an RT-N16. WAN, LAN and wireless all came up and worked. Long term though I want the WAN to run from a 3g/4g dongle and to use the SD card on the card as extended storage. I also want to run some serial devices (FTDI, PL2303 etc)  as well as an OpenVPN client. So, I'm going to need some extra packages.

Tried to install some of the stuff needed to mount the USB drive and was given dependency errors by ipkg, example below...

Installing kmod-usb-serial (3.8.13-1) to root...
Downloading [url]http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm47xx/packages/kmod-usb-serial_3.8.13-1_brcm47xx.ipk.[/url]
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial:
 *     kernel (= 3.8.13-1-83f9d1ba115ccf300173e20538e0a85c) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial.

I've tried a search on the forum but found nothing obvious on dependencies in this circumstance. Can I work around this and get those packages to install?

Thanks for your help

robbiew wrote:

kernel (= 3.8.13-1-83f9d1ba115ccf300173e20538e0a85c)

if you look at the output of the
# opkg list-installed | grep kernel
you will see that you have installed the package slightly different version.
this is not surprising: in the directory snapshots/trunk packages to be recompiled constantly.

try "--force-depends".

i found that asus-rt-n16 (hw ver a1) buttons have different gpio numbers.

in file package/kernel/broadcom-diag/src/diag.c:
reset - 8
ses (aka wps) - 5

but actually:
reset - 6
ses (aka wps) - 8

patch:

diff --git a/package/kernel/broadcom-diag/src/diag.c b/package/kernel/broadcom-diag/src/diag.c
index ccbaee2..df64618 100644
--- a/package/kernel/broadcom-diag/src/diag.c
+++ b/package/kernel/broadcom-diag/src/diag.c
@@ -613,8 +613,8 @@ static struct platform_t __initdata platforms[] = {
        [RTN16] = {
                .name           = "ASUS RT-N16",
                .buttons        = {
-                       { .name = "reset",      .gpio = 1 << 8 },
-                       { .name = "ses",        .gpio = 1 << 5 },
+                       { .name = "reset",      .gpio = 1 << 6 },
+                       { .name = "ses",        .gpio = 1 << 8 },
                },
                .leds           = {
                        { .name = "power",      .gpio = 1 << 1, .polarity = REVERSE },

Installed latest trunk on wrt610n v2. Router bricked. No lan. But wifi OK.
Got in with serial. Configured wireless as client, connected to my home wifi and wget VeNoM's build to /tmp, cut 32 bytes from begining, mtd to linux and working again.
Building 36985 with broadcom-wl... Tried building with -j 5 but got errors

Edit 05 sep:
Now latest trunk works with wrt610n v2 802.11g (no 802.11n)

Edit 06 sep:
Building is a bi*ch.. Tried Image builder.. got errors with kmod-switch (package renamed to kmod-swconfig).
Sorted it out with make image PROFILE=Broadcom-wl PACKAGES="-kmod-switch kmod-swconfig"
Image created and started testing.
Haven't got 802.11n. I don't know why..

Edit 08 sep:
Found interesting info on 802.11n:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28758&p=2

Got 300 mbps on 5GHz and no link on 2.4GHz

(Last edited by bochen415 on 8 Sep 2013, 20:23)

Successful build r37864

Low latency kernel 3.10.9, with beta alsa patches scheduled for release in 3.12.  No buffer underruns (a bug since kernel release 3.5) with MPD (custom 0.17.3 build) on UAC2 DAC (Audiogd 11.32)

Happy Happy!!

Hi,
I already asked in a different thread, but I don't know if that was the right one. I have a Asus RT N-16 flashed with an self build image from trunk (I took target profile and target system recommendation from the wiki page for Asus RT N-16) . The whole device works quite well, except that 802.11n mode is not working. I am using the closed source broadcom drivers. With the "wl" utility I was able to set only 54 MBps. It seems there is no option to set wireless n speed. If I do "wl -i wl0 rate -1" which should set the rate automatically it stays with 54 MBps. Is there anybody who got 300 Mpbs working on this device? I have chosen the driver to be able to get 300 MBps, but if it is not possible then I will use the open soure variant to get at least 150 Mbps.

I also rebuild an image yesterday from trunk and flashed it to my RT-N-16. The wifi worked completely fine. I was able to get 300 MBps with it. So it seems it was just a short time when this issue happened in trunk.

right guys, I spent all the evening playing around with this on my Asus RT-N16:
- VeNoM built (r38252) does not work - the router does not start
- the official openwrt snapshot does work (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … uashfs.trx)

Then, I tried different wifi configuration and measured speed between 2 clients - one of ethernet other one on wifi:
- b43 - stable but I couldn't get anything above 1.0 Mbyte/s
- brcmsmac - great latency, very stable but I couldn't get anything above 2.5Mbyte/s (with enabled encryption this was around 1.8)
- brcm-wl - my client failed to associate with it

Using my old d-link 615 the same test was just below 7 Mbyte/s.

Anyone else has a better result? What driver, what config?

(Last edited by gregd72002 on 12 Oct 2013, 01:16)

gregd72002 wrote:

- brcmsmac - great latency, very stable but I couldn't get anything above 2.5Mbyte/s (with enabled encryption this was around 1.8)

May you please describe how to set up brcmsmac on trunk? (I asking because "wireless" config probably will be different from b43 and wl.)

third_eye46 wrote:

I also rebuild an image yesterday from trunk and flashed it to my RT-N-16. The wifi worked completely fine. I was able to get 300 MBps with it. So it seems it was just a short time when this issue happened in trunk.

What revision did you use ?

RussianNeuroMancer wrote:
gregd72002 wrote:

May you please describe how to set up brcmsmac on trunk? (I asking because "wireless" config probably will be different from b43 and wl.)

wireless config is pretty the same as b43, the type is mac80211 but you need to remove b43 module and install brcmsmac instead.

See:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/so … om.bcm47xx