OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I was trying just that:)

Here's the result http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjust … vn_r29617/. I wanted to compile it myself to use jffs.
What version should I install ? openwrt-brcm4716-jffs2-128k.trx or openwrt-brcm4716-jffs2-64k.trx ? RT-N16 has 32MB of flash memory.

(Last edited by VeNoM on 19 Jan 2012, 14:20)

i recommend  openwrt-brcm4716-squashfs.trx

I need jffs.
I found this http://todayguesswhat.blogspot.com/2011 … am-vs.html

The ASUS RT-N16 on the other hand has 32 MB of flash. Even with the full-blown VPN 2.6 Tomato bundle installed, there is still some 25MB available for potential JFFS2 use. There is also a special area in the flash memory known as the NVRAM segment. This is essentially the very last segment in the flash memory and is at minimum one “erase block” in size. Although the erase block size is typically 64KB (or 128KB as is the case with the RT-N16), the actual NVRAM is programmatically restricted to 32KB.

I compiled another version with luci included and many other packages like multiwan, openvpn, tinyproxy, radvd, wol. I installed it (openwrt-brcm4716-jffs2-128k.trx) and it runs smooth.

http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjust … vn_r29617/

(Last edited by VeNoM on 20 Jan 2012, 10:01)

How's the wireless throughput with the latest trunk build...?

Thanks.

WiFi N works, but you have to edit /etc/config/wireless (option hwmode)

config 'wifi-device' 'wl0'
        option 'type' 'broadcom'
        option 'channel' '7'
        option 'txpower' '12'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'

Or edit the LuCI interface file /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/admin_network/wifi.lua and add mode:value("11gn", "802.11g+n"), see below.

if hwtype == "broadcom" then
        tp = s:taboption("general",
                (#tx_power_list > 0) and ListValue or Value,
                "txpower", translate("Transmit Power"), "dBm")

tp.rmempty = true
        tp.default = tx_power_cur

function tp.cfgvalue(...)
                return txpower_current(Value.cfgvalue(...), tx_power_list)
        end

for _, p in ipairs(tx_power_list) do
                tp:value(p.driver_dbm, "%i dBm (%i mW)"
                        %{ p.display_dbm, p.display_mw })
        end

mode = s:taboption("advanced", ListValue, "hwmode", translate("Mode"))
        mode:value("11bg", "802.11b+g")
        mode:value("11gn", "802.11g+n")
        mode:value("11b", "802.11b")
        mode:value("11g", "802.11g")
        mode:value("11gst", "802.11g + Turbo")

I downloaded at 6MB/s from a local NAS server to a WinXP laptop that showed 130 Mbps.

maurer, if I will have some free time I will compile all packages.

There are still small problems, you have to replace in /usr/lib/opkg.status Architecture: brcm4716 to Architecture: brcm47xx so that LuCI will parse the file in system/software.

(Last edited by VeNoM on 21 Jan 2012, 15:05)

Noted with thanks, both radios work on 610N v2/E3000...?

Cheers.

(Update  II)

Just build it and installed it on my RT-16N. I added aiccu ;->

Wireless Performance seems to be better than with latest AUSU Firmware.
Even that max Transmit Power is 18dBm only??

Great Job, thanks a lot. Compiled it yesterday following the latest instructions.

Some minor issues. WAN LED not active, WAN country codes not availiable, have to be added manual. 

Activation of WAN LED can be found here:

http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16 … README.txt

Do further testing over the next few days.

ipv6 (SIXXS), OK, firewall2 is also working, so everything can be configure using the LuCI Interface.

Build a new image with my personal customisation and most of the packages.

Find a few other issues.

My prefered WLAN Settings (SSID and Password) won't work.  As soon as I use an SSID and Password with fewer characters than on my DIR-600 it seems to be OK. That sounds strange to me???

Overall RT-N16 is very stable and performance like WAN, LAN and WIFI is excellent and as expected with my provider. 
WLAN Power is limited to 18dBm (63 mW) in LuCI and not 20dBm(100 mW)  like on my DIR-600.

Still building additional packages, like freeradius2 and samba stuff.  But not tested yet.

My build environment is a fixed USB disk and Oracle Virtual Box. Using an external drive in Virtual Box gives an performance increase.

F41SIXXS

(Last edited by f41SIXXS on 21 Feb 2012, 19:59)

Sorry, are these latest trunk builds working for E3000/610Nv2 too...? The thread title seems to imply that they are the same, but the last few posts seem to be concerned about RT-N16 only. And AFAIK the N16 only works in the 2.4GHz band...?

Thanks in advance.

I own a RT-N16 so I can say that this model works, I personally tested it. RT-N16 also works in 5 Ghz band.
All are based on Broadcom hardware so they should work.

sorry VenoM - I also own a RT-N16 and IT DOESN'T HAVE 5 GHz RADIO - maybe your's is a SPECIAL model smile
A few weeks ago Asus released RT-n66U with 5GHz support.
Only E3000/610Nv2 should report about 5GHz support on Openwrt - but as george reports in his readme - the second radio doesn't work yet.

2012-01-01
    got my hands over Belkin F7D4301. It features two w11's so, hopefully, I will get
    second radio working for the 4716'ths at some point;

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that it supports 5Ghz smile, apparently not.

ASUS made an interesting choice for their component selection. The RT-N16 is powered by a Broadcom BCM4718 Intensi-fi XLR 802.11n Simultaneous Dual-Band (2.4/5 GHz) Router System-on-Chip. This chip combines the baseband, MAC, 533 MHz CPU and radio modules and includes the USB support found on the RT-N16.

Although the BCM4718 has a 5 GHz radio, ASUS didn't put the circuitry in to support it.

Hi Guys
I've got wrt610n v2 with dd-wrt on it.
I'd like to flash http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjust … uashfs.bin
@VeNoM (or some different image you would recommend?)

What method should I use?
I've read some FAQs and HowTos and googling a bit but still I'm not sure what method should I follow (please keep in mind there's dd-wrt on my box now).

Please give me few lines of instructions...

I need a writable filesystem, so I use jffs.
You should look here http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/filesystems to see the differences. It is better to use squashfs if you have no linux knowledge.
I had dd-wrt on my router and I used recovery mode to install openwrt.

(Last edited by VeNoM on 25 Jan 2012, 08:39)

I have some experience with linux- I had started with Debian Potato some time ago smile
But no experience with mtd devices... therefore I want to do carefully something I don't understand.
When you say "recovery mode" you mean boot and use tftp? What about "firmware upgrade" option in web interface? Will it do?

Yes, tftp. I suppose that firmware upgrade on dd-wrt's interface should be ok.

Thanks.
This happened to be really easy with web interface. Network works quite well. No 802.11a radio though.
I'm going to have a look inside and I'll report back any interesting things if you wish.
Hey, I was waiting almost 2 years for this moment! dd-wrt was doing the job quite well, maybe sometimes radio was hanging during big load but the lack of flexibility in it was so frustrating.

regards

Thanks to everybody who commented and clarified about the spectrum issue. It's baffling why Asus didn't implement both channels.

Well it's not as baffling as it seems - It's probably done to save some cost, and perhaps not to jeopardize the sales of the higher end and higher priced products too...? : )

Off-topic: Is there any other model which can operate on both bands simultaneously at the same price range of the E3000/610Nv2...?

Cheers, and Happy CNY if anybody is a Chinese : )

yes, it is - if prefer this same Broadcom BCM4718 you have Belkin Play Max F7D4301nv.
If you want better openwrt support then buy Atheros based devices like D-link DIR-825 (only revB1/B2!!!) or Netgear WNDR3700v1/v2 (not v3 !!!) or  WNDR3800