OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT builds (CC) fully featured for various routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Oct 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

almereyda wrote:

Thanks mk13139 for this lovely bootstrap'ed OpenWRT build.

I'm still running it on my WR1043ND v2, as the Barrier Breaker Builds [1] don't contain LuCI, where even post-install wouldn't work.

Unfortunately it seems my LAN is capped to 100mbit/s.
I've found a Forums post two days ago, but I cannot remember the search terms anymore.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Would there be steps to debug this?

Thanks for any consideration,

Jon

[1] http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … 043nd.v2.x

The trunk builds you referring to don't contain LuCI indeed (as with all snapshot builds), however my build should contain LuCI. Are you sure you've flashed the correct build?

Which LAN speed are you talking about? WAN->LAN or LAN->LAN.
As for the first, this is correct since OpenWRT uses software NAT and TP-Link's firmware hardware NAT (which is obviously faster).

mk13139 wrote:
Desert wrote:

Edit:
I tried a reset but its still gone. is this really a bug or did i miss some Changes to the Trunk Builds?

You are correct, these entries are now listed under Network -> Interfaces -> LAN -> DHCP server -> IPV6

Found it! Thank You! smile

Just so you know, IPv6 static leases can be configured along with the DHCPv4 ones the usual Static Leases area.

FYI, for anyone, like me who upgraded and lost ext root the following tidbit from the wiki is important.

On Barrier Breaker, block-mount will create a file /etc/.extroot-uuid on extroot filled with uuid of mtd partition rootfs. At boot time when trying to do extroot, block-mount would try to check the actual uuid with the content of .extroot-uuid. If they did not match, extroot would fail. So if you want to continue use extroot after flashing a new firmwre, /etc/.extroot-uuid needs to be deleted first.

Transmission stops after a while

Thanks mk13139 for this great compilation! It has almost everything I need.

I'm quite new to to OpenWrt, but I managed to install a BB version in a spare Comtrend AR-5381u with USB support, Samba and Transmision. It's working ok.

Then I decided to try a better router and bought a used TP-Link WR1043ND v1.9.
After installing Backfire 10.03 and upgraded to AA 12.09, finally I installed your latest version r39450.

I had a problem with Transmission client. After being working for some minutes I get the following error in the web interface:
"Transmission error: Could not connect to the server. You may need to reload the page to reconnect."
I have then to restart Transmission to continue.
It's similar to this https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewto … mp;t=10931
According to the info provided in that link I tried changing the start script adding EVENT_NOEPOLL='0' without success.

Any clue?
Thanks for your help.

emepe wrote:

I'm quite new to to OpenWrt, but I managed to install a BB version in a spare Comtrend AR-5381u with USB support, Samba and Transmision. It's working ok.

After installing Backfire 10.03 and upgraded to AA 12.09, finally I installed your latest version r39450.

I had a problem with Transmission client. After being working for some minutes I get the following error in the web interface:
"Transmission error: Could not connect to the server. You may need to reload the page to reconnect."
According to the info provided in that link I tried changing the start script adding EVENT_NOEPOLL='0' without success.

Any clue?
Thanks for your help.

This is probably due to the fact that this router has only 32mb ram, which runs out when using Transmission.
I suggest you to make a swap partition on your external hard drive and move the OpenWRT swap file over there.

Please read this guide: http://redacacia.me/2013/04/08/openwrt- … otfs-swap/
For you it is only necessary to move the swap file, however this guide also describes moving rootfs to the external drive which allows you to use the drive for installing additional packages.

mk13139 wrote:
emepe wrote:

Any clue?
Thanks for your help.

This is probably due to the fact that this router has only 32mb ram, which runs out when using Transmission.
I suggest you to make a swap partition on your external hard drive and move the OpenWRT swap file over there.

For you it is only necessary to move the swap file, however this guide also describes moving rootfs to the external drive which allows you to use the drive for installing additional packages.

Thanks!
Now it's working. I've created a Swap partition.

I wonder if anyone can help me get StrongSwan installed??

I was previously on another build but the package was missing off the list so after trying to figure it out for a bit i decided to upgrade. Upgrading didn't go well at all and i was forced to install from scratch, which is when i came across this fairly new addition to the community releases for WNDR3800's.

I've configured OpenVPN, no problems there, but still can't find StrongSwan, not using the default repo. I assume we can change the package sources but i can't find out how.

I have spotted StrongSwan in the downloads section but it is build/version dependant.

Oh, the reason for trying to get StrongSwan installed and configured when OVPN works is that i can't connect to my VPN using OVPN when connected to works guest WLAN and have had success previously with IPSec.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alternative, may i request that StrongSwan is included in the next release?

Aside from this personal request/requirement this build is impressive. Still trying to tweak 40mhz WIFI, seems slow compared to previous configs...... probably my settings though.

Wriggerz wrote:

I wonder if anyone can help me get StrongSwan installed??

I was previously on another build but the package was missing off the list so after trying to figure it out for a bit i decided to upgrade. Upgrading didn't go well at all and i was forced to install from scratch, which is when i came across this fairly new addition to the community releases for WNDR3800's.

I've configured OpenVPN, no problems there, but still can't find StrongSwan, not using the default repo. I assume we can change the package sources but i can't find out how.

I have spotted StrongSwan in the downloads section but it is build/version dependant.

Oh, the reason for trying to get StrongSwan installed and configured when OVPN works is that i can't connect to my VPN using OVPN when connected to works guest WLAN and have had success previously with IPSec.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alternative, may i request that StrongSwan is included in the next release?

Aside from this personal request/requirement this build is impressive. Still trying to tweak 40mhz WIFI, seems slow compared to previous configs...... probably my settings though.

Because this is a trunk build, all packages will have a checksum mismatch regarding to the kernel. This is no problem however, you will have to install the desired package via command line, using the following commands:

opkg update
opkg install yourpackagename --force-depends

However, I doubt you'll have enough space on the rootfs in order to install adittional packages.
You could expand your rootfs using a USB stick and additionally add a swap partition to it in order to gain more stability.

--edit---
You probably do have enough space on rootfs. You have 16mb flash, which is enough, where as the TL-WR1043ND only has 8mb.
For this reason I cannot add Strongswan to the build, images for other routers would be too large for the flash...

(Last edited by mk13139 on 12 Feb 2014, 15:13)

mk13139 wrote:

The trunk builds you referring to don't contain LuCI indeed (as with all snapshot builds), however my build should contain LuCI. Are you sure you've flashed the correct build?

Which LAN speed are you talking about? WAN->LAN or LAN->LAN.
As for the first, this is correct since OpenWRT uses software NAT and TP-Link's firmware hardware NAT (which is obviously faster).

Hi, I am using your build happily with LuCI. No problem with that, sorry if I didn't point that out clearly.

Speed issues are between LAN-LAN interfaces, despite them correctly being detected as 1000MBit/s links. It's a pity I'm not in posession of this other thread anymore where it has been discussed earlier.

Hi mk13139,

Thanks for the quick response.

So i tried this last night:

opkg update
opkg install strongswan-full -force-depends

But it didn't work, responding with the below:

Unknown package 'strongswan-full'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package strongswan-full.

When i run:

opkg list

I can see a full list of packages but none of them relate to strongswan.

Is it possible to change the package source or install from another source using a command? I see in the Software section of LUCI that it points to a package list specific to your build, can you add Strongswan to the list for me to download?

Sorry for all the questions buddy.

Hello mk13139,

is there a possibility in the next build to be included mini dlna server?

BR

I just wanted to thank you mk13139 for these builds

Just flashed my WNDR3800  and feels like having a new router

I wolud like to install your build.

My router is TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1 with Gargoyle 1.6.0 installed.

What should I do in order to install your build?

Thanks in advance!!!

DTM wrote:

Hello mk13139,

is there a possibility in the next build to be included mini dlna server?

BR

Hello DTM,

Maybe, i'll look into it! But for now, you can add it yourself using:

opkg update
opkg install yourpackagename --force-depends

@jorge_ferreiro
You just need to flash the sysupgrade file, without preserving config/settings.

@Wriggerz
That's strange, the package source is just the default trunk one... Are you sure strongswan is not listed?
I'll look into it when I have some more time!

mk13139 wrote:

@Wriggerz
That's strange, the package source is just the default trunk one... Are you sure strongswan is not listed?
I'll look into it when I have some more time!

Strongswan compilation seems to be currently broken in ar71xx, so it can't be found in the snapshot packages directory:
http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/broken … es/ar71xx/

Thanks for the update hnyman, it would be good to know if/when this is fixed.

I have started to attempt to install racoon/ipsec but having some difficulty, addressing those difficulties elsewhere ATM.

Hi MK13139,

Thanks for your OpenWRT BB build r39755.

Installed on WR1043ND V1.8 and working perfectly.

Nice job.
Regards

Hi MK13139,

Eventhough, 40 MHZ mode is forced and looking at the associated stations on status, some seems to be connected at 40MHz;

inSSIDer indicates only 20 MHZ in use.

Speed is not going over 135 Mbit/s.

Is this a normal behaviour or should I change something in OpenWRT config? Is it posible to reach 300 Mbit/s ?

Using OpenWRT BB build r39755 on WR1043ND V1.8

Associated Stations

MAC     Network         Signal          Noise                      RX Rate                                                  TX Rate

4       Master "XXXXX" -44 dBm    -95 dBm    65.0 Mbit/s, MCS 7, 20MHz    65.0 Mbit/s, MCS 7, 20MHz

5       Master "XXXXX" -67 dBm    -95 dBm    11.0 Mbit/s, MCS 0, 20MHz    54.0 Mbit/s, MCS 0, 20MHz

6      Master "XXXXX"  -69 dBm    -95 dBm    135.0 Mbit/s, MCS 7, 40MHz    150.0 Mbit/s, MCS 7, 40MHz

7      Master "XXXXX"  -50 dBm    -95 dBm    54.0 Mbit/s, MCS 0, 20MHz    54.0 Mbit/s, MCS 0, 20MHz

8      Master "XXXXX"    -65 dBm    -95 dBm    108.0 Mbit/s, MCS 5, 40MHz    6.5 Mbit/s, MCS 0, 20MHz

Thanks in advance
Regards
Jorge Ferreiro

Hello Jorge,

300mbps is only the possible theoretical speed, which in practice is unlikely to reach due to interferrence.
You can try to move your device close to the router and see if the speeds go up.

As for inSSIDer, the device you're testing on has actually a 40mhz wifi card?

Hello mk13139,

Thanks for your answer.

I will try side by side with one of the devices and keep you posted.

Regarding inSSIDer, yes It is the device on line 8. I will move it near and try again.

Thanks
Regards
Jorge

Hello,

I'm trying to add rtsp conntrack support

I installed it via :
install kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp --force-depends

but it still doesn't work.

May it be linked with the kernel dependency issue ?

Thanks

Regards

Yeah, you have to flash a newer image..

I just flashed the latest image (r39755, Feb 26th), but I get the same dependency error.

Anyway it seems the module is loaded well

[ 1523.780000] nf_conntrack_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
[ 1523.790000] nf_nat_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
[ 1556.450000] nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

I am looking at the conntrack helper assignment in iptables.

binoix wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to add rtsp conntrack support

I installed it via :
install kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp --force-depends

but it still doesn't work.

May it be linked with the kernel dependency issue ?

Thanks

Regards

New build is up!
Please try the new build wink.

@DTM, adding MiniDLNA support is not possible, since most of the routers I compile for only have 8mb flash. The image would exceed the flash size.
I removed Tranmission support also, because some routers have too little resources and would crash when running Transmission.
However, when a external drive is added to the router it is possible to move the rootfs and swapfile to the drive, in order to install additional packages such as Transmission and MiniDLNA.

In this build, I also added support for the TP-Link Archer C7 and the TP-Link TL-WR740N.

(Last edited by mk13139 on 10 Mar 2014, 09:44)

Sorry, posts 101 to 100 are missing from our archive.