OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N V9.x ?

The content of this topic has been archived between 21 Aug 2014 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

that's what I did, it doesn't work. Is there any page that I can read regarding the HT40 regulatory requirements? They put a big "300 Mbps" advertisement on the router packaging (and even feature it on the product website http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/deta … TL-WR841N) why is it disallowed?

(Last edited by arthurk on 18 Jun 2014, 17:44)

It's not disallowed, it's strongly recommended against. And they put it on the box because that's what it's capable of.

I have some questions about version 9:

1. Can somebody tell me if there are some solder put in tp-link factory at TX, RX,GND, Ucc ping or they are clear as 841n v8 ?
2. What can be done not to remove to R26 resistor I mean how can it be ignored without desolder it if possible ?

Thanks. It will be great if someone attach image of pcb where are serial pins

Sorry, posts 80 to 78 are missing from our archive.

I've installed the recommended snapshot for v9 yesterday. But after installing the gui i have just 140kB left which is too less for installing eg privoxy... something like a over the network mountable filesystem would be nice but i guess its not easy to accomplish?
With this low flash memory its quite useless for me now (that low price was so damn tempting)

EDIT: stumbled upon ExRoot.. lets see

(Last edited by johndoe on 22 Jun 2014, 12:20)

Experimentator wrote:

1. Can somebody tell me if there are some solder put in tp-link factory at TX, RX,GND, Ucc ping or they are clear as 841n v8 ?
2. What can be done not to remove to R26 resistor I mean how can it be ignored without desolder it if possible ?

Maybe someone can fix the link on this page.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … 5D=wr841nd

THG wrote:
Experimentator wrote:

Maybe someone can fix the link on this page.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … 5D=wr841nd

I do not have V9 not only ask if someone have images of PCB to post it here and the wiki also smile

Experimentator wrote:

I do not have V9 not only ask if someone have images of PCB to post it here and the wiki also smile

Wiki has, but the link is broken.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Being 'stuck' at 130Mbps is probably working as designed.

Yesterday I bought a couple of units for $28, one v8.4 and one v9.0. Factory firmware allows me to connect at 300 Mbps.

I just received my router a few days ago, and I wanted to flash openwrt.
Can someone verify that this build (from the wiki) is working?
Also, I don't understand what it means to configure the internet connection. I will be using this router in a dorm room, which has an ethernet port.
Do I only need to execute the following commands? (to install LuCI)
(I changed network.wan.proto from static to dhcp, and I removed the network.wan.ipaddr config line)

uci set network.wan.proto=dhcp
uci set network.wan.netmask=255.255.255.0
uci set network.wan.gateway=74.125.115.1
uci set network.wan.dns='8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4'
uci commit network
ifup wan

(Last edited by kedarv on 2 Aug 2014, 17:10)

erkserkserks wrote:

Do you have SSH access? If not, follow these instructions: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin

Once you have SSH access, you can set the WAN DNS:
uci set network.wan.dns='8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4'

Then, you can install LuCI:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/luci.essentials

I haven't actually installed anything yet, I just want to be sure that I know everything before I do so, so I don't end up with a bricked router
Thanks for the link!

Any idea about vpnc package? It doesn't exist....

Which is the most stable release for v9 - fastest speed less bugs and all functions working ? I want to flash mine but need opinion about releases

Has anybody found a way to install Coova on WR-841N v9.0. I've installed the firmware suggested in this thread but coova-chilli is not in the packages list.

Experimentator wrote:

Which is the most stable release for v9 - fastest speed less bugs and all functions working ? I want to flash mine but need opinion about releases

Barrier breaker rc3 seems to work pretty fine for me, I have it on three V9s now. (http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … x/generic/)

nozombian wrote:
Experimentator wrote:

Barrier breaker rc3 seems to work pretty fine for me, I have it on three V9s now. (http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … x/generic/)

i am really new to custom firm ware flashing

i also having TL-WR841N V9 with latest TP link stock firmware can you guide me they way to flash latest stable bug free build

also if you test all other build can you give me small summery which is best and having good features  and stability this my 1st post do help smile

I am trying to build a custom version of OpenWrt, but "attitude" branch is missing v9, and "barrier_breaker" that is supposed to build it, I simply don't see a proper bin in the results of the build. Am I doing something totally wrong here?

Here is what I get. My guess is that openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs is the right image, but it's disheartening that it does not even mention the model, not to say version...

ls bin/ar71xx/
md5sums                                               openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.elf
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-nbg460n_550n_550nh-u-boot.bin  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.gz
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs                  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.lzma
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs-64k              openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-lzma.elf
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-gzip.bin                packages
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin                uboot-ar71xx-nbg460n_550n_550nh
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.bin

Try building without including other packages.. maybe you went over the 4mb flash size...

Thank you! I will try, I most certainly did go beyond 4Mb limit. I just did not know the build will simply remove unqualified targets.

Hey, is there a way to evaluate the size of a package before including it and doing the build? You have to admit, that missing bin file is a lousy troubleshooting message at how much I did overshoot...

Also, how is it possible that all other binaries built with the same options are significantly lower than 4Mb?

Here is another attmept with a few packages removed (originally, they were also < 4Mb):

*@*:~/Projects/router/barrier_breaker$ ls -l bin/ar71xx/
total 17504
-rw-r--r-- 1 ￿ *     729 Jan 29 20:26 md5sums
-rwxr-xr-x 1 * *  160200 Jan 27 22:23 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-nbg460n_550n_550nh-u-boot.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 * * 3014656 Jan 29 20:26 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 * * 2883588 Jan 29 20:26 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs-64k
-rw-r--r-- 1 * * 1401449 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-gzip.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 * * 1003776 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 * * 2958620 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 * * 3025124 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.elf
-rw-r--r-- 1 * * 1441792 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 * * 1048576 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.lzma
-rwxr-xr-x 1 * * 1075741 Jan 29 20:25 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-lzma.elf
drwxr-xr-x 4 * *    4096 Jan 27 22:42 packages
drwxr-xr-x 2 * *    4096 Jan 29 20:20 uboot-ar71xx-nbg460n_550n_550nh

3mb rootfs+1mb kernel = flash full...

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 29 Jan 2015, 22:23)

finally i found this topic, i made a mistake and posted a question in the wrong topic....

I want to buy the wr841nd and probably will arrive with the v9 version.
I'd like to know which problems  this router has and if they are fixed or no.
What worries me is the slower wifi (reported on the wiki), is it fixed or no? what mean slow wifi in mbs? i want use this router as wifi bridge. Thank in advise. M4rk

exactly the same situation as M4rk.
What the latest stable release for v9?
Where I can download bin file for this router?
wr841nd (v9.2)