OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Chadster766 wrote:
Anon28435 wrote:

The 802.11ac standard is only useful if you have a fiber to home connection and the desire to use a wifi dongle on your devices.

Your smartphones/tablets will not benefit from the 802.11ac functionality. Your laptop will need a external usb wifi adapter. You desktop should just be wired anyways. Should we mention the size of the currently available 802.11ac usb dongles?

I was happy to receive my Archer C7 V2 today, I found the installation of OpenWRT very easy and painless. I have OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r41553, is my version the most up to date? The listing was confusing as the dates were all the same.

I couldn't seem to install some features I wanted due to some kernel version complaint.

Wireless AC is very useful for local LAN Applications and file transfers. Especially with file servers, media servers or NAS.


Exactly. I only have a 50/50Mbps, but having 1Gbps wireless let's me stream untouched BluRays to devices in my home. Anon is....meh.

dstruktNine wrote:

Exactly. I only have a 50/50Mbps, but having 1Gbps wireless let's me stream untouched BluRays to devices in my home. Anon is....meh.

Like I stated in my previous post,
There will always be obscure usage of any technology.
You will find very few PCs with blu-ray capabilities.
Most people just download their 1080p content.

The main thing I was wondering is if I have the most up to date OpenWRT for this device, seems like nobody knows, I will stop wasting my time following this thread.

(Last edited by Anon28435 on 11 Jul 2014, 02:30)

Anon28435 wrote:
dstruktNine wrote:

Exactly. I only have a 50/50Mbps, but having 1Gbps wireless let's me stream untouched BluRays to devices in my home. Anon is....meh.

Like I stated in my previous post,
There will always be obscure usage of any technology.
You will find very few PCs with blu-ray capabilities.
Most people just download their 1080p content.

The main thing I was wondering is if I have the most up to date OpenWRT for this device, seems like nobody knows, I will stop wasting my time following this thread.

BluRay drives can be had for like 40 bucks and streaming content from PCs (not just BluRays) is far from obscure.

@Anon28435 yes you have the latest build as of 10-07-2014 now stop spitting out your dummy mardy bum!

wen changes are made to openwrt you can keep track of them here https://dev.openwrt.org/timeline

(Last edited by tapper on 11 Jul 2014, 02:55)

Anon28435 wrote:

There will always be obscure uses of technology. Most people do not transfer files within their LAN very frequently(if at all.) The people that do may not benefit from 802.11ac enough to merit the cost.

i'm not commenting just to be negative or start/continue an argument, just noting my perceptions:

this is a very expensive router (i paid $295USD), it's probably a safe bet that anyone who can merit the cost of this router is going to want to take advantage of the extreme speeds - thus already having fiber internet or a NAS with large files (for example windows 8 shows you your wireless usage in the past 60 days, and my desktop is currently showing 1.77TiB)

regarding dongles, ac adoption is actually quite large already for example: my laptop has three stream ac, my intel nuc has dual stream ac, my desktop has dual stream ac, and my phone has ac.

so i am very excited for openwrt to become functional & stable enough for this router, to take advantage of it's many features and improve performance (e.g forcing 40mhz)

(Last edited by thanksguys1337 on 11 Jul 2014, 10:59)

tapper wrote:

@Anon28435 yes you have the latest build as of 10-07-2014

wen changes are made to openwrt you can keep track of them here https://dev.openwrt.org/timeline

Thanks, Glad I checked back.

thanksguys1337 wrote:

this is a very expensive router (i paid $295USD), it's probably a safe bet that anyone who can merit the cost of this router is going to want to take advantage of the extreme speeds

I paid only $94.99 but I agree, most the people purchasing this router will want the 802.11ac. I purchased it more of a future investment for when fiber to home or comparable becomes available to me. With openwrt I should be able to tether my 4g net to my router, a big plus.

(Last edited by Anon28435 on 11 Jul 2014, 19:21)

Only $95 but then a "cheap" router in my view is $10 so it's still expensive.

As stated above though even the fibre argument doesn't hold water. You can get 150Mbps or more without fibre.

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 12 Jul 2014, 17:18)

qasdfdsaq wrote:

As stated above though even the fibre argument doesn't hold water. You can get 150Mbps or more without fibre.

The problem is the price.
With Fiber2Home you can get 1Gbps for about what I pay Comcast for my 25mbps connection. If I wanted greater than 150Mbps I would be paying more to Comcast then my router cost each month. Faster download speeds are not really worth what Comcast charges. I would never use century link and in most areas without fiber, it is the exact same situation with another cable internet provider.

(Last edited by Anon28435 on 13 Jul 2014, 00:05)

As some of us are watching this thread with baited breath for development news, it would be nice if it stayed on-topic (re the last few posts).  I run my own Barrier Breaker build based on Belkin's patches.  It runs stable for days, then I start having periodic internet outages.  I'm seeing this in my log:

Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.err kernel: [535868.126352] INFO: rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 0}  (t=6000 jiffies g=1360855 c=1360854 q=2542)
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.136006] CPU: 0 PID: 2576 Comm: collectd Tainted: P             3.10.32 #25
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.143334] Backtrace:
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.145886] Function entered at [<c001a158>] from [<c001a4b0>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.151821]  r6:c04e18b8 r5:000009ee r4:c04db6f8 r3:00000000
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.157630] Function entered at [<c001a498>] from [<c01f5ce0>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.163565] Function entered at [<c01f5cbc>] from [<c006f058>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.169500] Function entered at [<c006ee28>] from [<c0031300>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.175435] Function entered at [<c00312b8>] from [<c005d098>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.181368]  r7:cdd7da40 r6:c0512e20 r5:0001e75c r4:dac4146b
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.187181] Function entered at [<c005cec0>] from [<c004541c>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.193119] Function entered at [<c0045374>] from [<c0045bf4>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.199055]  r7:00000001 r6:c08cc458 r5:0001e75c r4:dac4123b
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.204866] Function entered at [<c0045abc>] from [<c034e34c>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.210801] Function entered at [<c034e300>] from [<c006a024>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.216735]  r4:cf803c80 r3:c034e300
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.220429] Function entered at [<c0069fb0>] from [<c0066964>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.226363]  r8:cdd7da40 r7:cdd7da74 r6:00000000 r5:00000010 r4:00000010
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.226363] r3:c0069fb0
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.234373] Function entered at [<c0066930>] from [<c0017574>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.240307]  r4:c04dbbb0 r3:00000060
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.244003] Function entered at [<c00174f0>] from [<c000855c>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.249937]  r6:c052bde4 r5:00000013 r4:c02f3e9c r3:cf802400
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.255744] Function entered at [<c00084ec>] from [<c0008ce0>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.261680] Exception stack(0xcdd7da40 to 0xcdd7da88)
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.266837] da40: 00000618 009b5d3b 36b1cbf1 009b5d37 cdd7daf0 cf9ca800 c047b00c c02f3e38
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.275126] da60: c43ce920 00000000 00000000 cdd7da9c 00000610 cdd7da88 c02f3e58 c02f3e9c
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.283411] da80: 00000013 ffffffff
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.286996] Function entered at [<c02f3e38>] from [<c0366b6c>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.292930]  r5:cf9ca800 r4:cdd7daf0
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.296626] Function entered at [<c0366b2c>] from [<c0378648>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.302560]  r7:00000000 r6:c3452240 r5:cf9ca800 r4:c43ce868
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.308368] Function entered at [<c0378248>] from [<c0379414>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.314303] Function entered at [<c0379314>] from [<c038b45c>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.320238] Function entered at [<c038b3dc>] from [<c038c1c8>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.326172]  r7:cf87d200 r6:cdd7dd0c r5:cde89200 r4:c2e22880
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.331981] Function entered at [<c038c0bc>] from [<c03798c0>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.337915]  r8:c0379314 r7:00000000 r6:c3452d80 r5:00000f40 r4:cde4e7c0
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.337915] r3:cdd7dd0c
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.345924] Function entered at [<c0379758>] from [<c038dd90>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.351858]  r8:00000000 r7:00000014 r6:c0379758 r5:c3452d80 r4:cde4e7c0
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.358722] Function entered at [<c038dd38>] from [<c0379750>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.364656]  r6:c3452d80 r5:cde89200 r4:c3452d80 r3:c0379724
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.370464] Function entered at [<c0379724>] from [<c038d7bc>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.376398]  r4:cf87d200 r3:c0379724
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.380093] Function entered at [<c038d6b0>] from [<c038dbfc>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.386027]  r8:00000000 r7:cde89200 r6:cdd7de10 r5:cdd7dee4 r4:00000000
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.392890] Function entered at [<c038d944>] from [<c0356f2c>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.398824] Function entered at [<c0356eac>] from [<c0358f08>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.404758]  r7:0000000c r6:b6c1ee38 r5:00000014 r4:cf54eb40
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.410568] Function entered at [<c0358e4c>] from [<c0009020>]
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.416503]  r9:cdd7c000 r8:c00091a4 r7:00000122 r6:00000000 r5:0000000c
Sat Jul 12 22:45:57 2014 kern.warn kernel: [535868.416503] r4:b6c1ee38

The few times I've been able to determine what was previously running under the PID referenced, it's been netifd.  I'm wondering if any has had similar issues and knows of any resolution?

Thank you.

Anon28435 wrote:
qasdfdsaq wrote:

As stated above though even the fibre argument doesn't hold water. You can get 150Mbps or more without fibre.

The problem is the price.
With Fiber2Home you can get 1Gbps for about what I pay Comcast for my 25mbps connection. If I wanted greater than 150Mbps I would be paying more to Comcast then my router cost each month. Faster download speeds are not really worth what Comcast charges. I would never use century link and in most areas without fiber, it is the exact same situation with another cable internet provider.

I'm not sure what your point is. The world (and community of Openwrt users) is not restricted to your home or your internet connection.

You might have to pay Comcast more than $90 a month for 150Mbps but I can get it for $30.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Read the post above yours,
then read this.

I'm done with this thread/account, good luck with qasdfdsaq he seems to thrive on making pointless posts.

(Last edited by Anon28435 on 14 Jul 2014, 00:04)

Anon28435 wrote:
qasdfdsaq wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Read the post above yours,
then read this.

I'm done with this thread/account, good luck with qasdfdsaq he seems to thrive on making pointless posts.

Honestly out of the past few pages your posts seem to be the most pointless ones. Why bother arguing over our choice of router? We chose to buy it, we're choosing to run OpenWRT, it has no effect on you.

fluxsmith wrote:

The few times I've been able to determine what was previously running under the PID referenced, it's been netifd.  I'm wondering if any has had similar issues and knows of any resolution?

I was constantly running into CPU stalls on BB, which is why I dropped back to AA. I wasn't able to track it down, but it seemed to correlate to excessive network usage (Mostly internal transfers of large files, or hour+ external downloads at my ~40mbps internet limit).

Drakia wrote:

Honestly out of the past few pages your posts seem to be the most pointless ones. Why bother arguing over our choice of router? We chose to buy it, we're choosing to run OpenWRT, it has no effect on you.

Agreed, dude seems to think any use case outside of his own is obscure, argues with everyone, then pulls out the netiquette card. Nice.

Drakia wrote:

I was constantly running into CPU stalls on BB, which is why I dropped back to AA. I wasn't able to track it down, but it seemed to correlate to excessive network usage (Mostly internal transfers of large files, or hour+ external downloads at my ~40mbps internet limit).

Same experience here, and same conclusion. AA is beta-ish, BB is alpha-ish at best. Like everyone else, I'm sitting tight for the next code drop.

Drakia wrote:
Anon28435 wrote:
qasdfdsaq wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Read the post above yours,
then read this.

I'm done with this thread/account, good luck with qasdfdsaq he seems to thrive on making pointless posts.

Honestly out of the past few pages your posts seem to be the most pointless ones. Why bother arguing over our choice of router? We chose to buy it, we're choosing to run OpenWRT, it has no effect on you.

Good riddance I say.

I was constantly running into CPU stalls on BB, which is why I dropped back to AA. I wasn't able to track it down, but it seemed to correlate to excessive network usage (Mostly internal transfers of large files, or hour+ external downloads at my ~40mbps internet limit).

A lot of people have noted BB introduces a lot of bugs, there's been some big changes to the wireless drivers and wireless architecture pulled from upstream. Now that BB's reached RC stage, I'd expect the devs are concentrating on fixing bugs instead of new features.

phazen18 wrote:
Drakia wrote:

Honestly out of the past few pages your posts seem to be the most pointless ones. Why bother arguing over our choice of router? We chose to buy it, we're choosing to run OpenWRT, it has no effect on you.

Agreed, dude seems to think any use case outside of his own is obscure, argues with everyone, then pulls out the netiquette card. Nice.

Drakia wrote:

I was constantly running into CPU stalls on BB, which is why I dropped back to AA. I wasn't able to track it down, but it seemed to correlate to excessive network usage (Mostly internal transfers of large files, or hour+ external downloads at my ~40mbps internet limit).

Same experience here, and same conclusion. AA is beta-ish, BB is alpha-ish at best. Like everyone else, I'm sitting tight for the next code drop.

Surprisingly, BB's RC1 was just released today, having seemingly skipped all betas.

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 14 Jul 2014, 07:11)

Anon28435 wrote:
qasdfdsaq wrote:

1) There are many non-FTTH connections that reach speeds of 150Mbps or above. 802.11n can deliver this at close range but only AC can maintain this speed across multiple rooms.

That varies largely on your hardware. I can get my wifi even across the street from my home I get through many walls just fine. The currently available 802.11ac routers usually have excellent 802.11n antennas/range.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

DOCSIS 3.1 HFC is slated to deliver close to 1Gbps without fibre to the home within 3-4 years, as is G.Fast

802.11ac will be much more mature and this router will have support when that finally happens.
I only pay for 25mbps speeds as I consider the sweet spot. Slow enough I don't need to buy/lease a docsis 3 modem, fast enough I can play games/watch hd content with no lag. Downloading things at 3MiBps is good enough for me(for now.)

qasdfdsaq wrote:

2) Internet is not the only use for a wireless network. Many people use it to transfer data across the LAN,including to/from a NAS drive.

There will always be obscure uses of technology. Most people do not transfer files within their LAN very frequently(if at all.) The people that do may not benefit from 802.11ac enough to merit the cost.
I use netdrive on my laptop to allow streaming of content from my pc to my laptop. I experience no lag and would get no benefit from 802.11ac.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

3) Smartphones and tablets *will* benefit from 802.11ac. Laptops do not need an external adapter. 50% of the smartphones, laptops, and tablets in my home have 802.11ac built in. Most laptops can easily be upgraded with an internal 802.11ac adapter which will outperform any USB adapter.

Some of the newest devices do support 802.11ac, however I cannot think of a benefit to having 1gbps speeds on a smartphone/tablet. I think even if they have the capability, the interoperability issues and lack of usefulness continue to make 802.11ac of little benefit to smartdevice users. Smartdevice apps are usually designed to be bandwidth conservative anyways, further reducing the usefulness.

As a person that doesn't buy the newest electronics the day they come out,  none of my devices have support for 802.11ac.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

4) The size of currently available 802.11ac dongles aren't much different to the size of standard 802.11n dongles. You don't get micro ones yet, but micro dongles of any standard suck balls anyway.

For now, for most consumers I firmly believe it is better that they just wait for 802.11ac to mature a little bit more.
I am happy to have my archer c7 v2 running OpenWRT and consider the lack of 802.11ac a non-issue(for now.)

I have a 1Gbps down and 100mbps up internet connection from RCS&RDS here in Romania and i could benefit those AC speeds I have a Nexus 5 and a laptop Acer V3 772G+SSD and a intel ac 7260 wireless card.

Drakia wrote:

I was constantly running into CPU stalls on BB, which is why I dropped back to AA. I wasn't able to track it down, but it seemed to correlate to excessive network usage (Mostly internal transfers of large files, or hour+ external downloads at my ~40mbps internet limit).

I don't believe it's a process-- I believe it's something in the kernel/modules that ends up in a busy loop triggered by something network related, not a specific process (the symptom is CPU stalls with processes-- often whatever processes tend to hit the CPU the most-- from me it's been cups and netatalk). If you top you'll likely see migration/0 has a huge cpu time.

And it's possibly due to volume but I think it's actually not volume related per-say, but simply that the higher volume of packets provides more opportunity for whatever gets stuck in a loop to get stuck.

Even with little to no volume BB would end up needing a daily reboot for me. See my posts higher in the thread as they contain a handful of observations  on why I'm leaning this way.

I'm pretty much done adding support, feel free to checkout trunk. Let's hope we'll get a proper wifi driver, soon (and let's hope it's a patch for mwl8k).

Kaloz wrote:

I'm pretty much done adding support, feel free to checkout trunk. Let's hope we'll get a proper wifi driver, soon (and let's hope it's a patch for mwl8k).

I hear very soon, and main hurdle is over with, but you probably know this already.

(Last edited by nyt on 14 Jul 2014, 18:38)

Hi there,

it'd be awesome if someone could help me: You're talking about "working drivers" in the near future for the wrt1900ac.
I'm very interested in an alternative firmware for this router (openvpn server, extended ddns support,...) but I'm not very familiar with openwrt.

Should I wait for this proper driver and patch combo to be built into a openwrt firmware image file? Would you recommend to WAIT for this to happen or is it possible and wise to install the latest AA or BB from the github repo and "upgrade" later without loosing all my settings?

So atm I do not own those USB-stuff-serial-things to debrick the unit in case... would I need it with "proper" patches and drivers?

Sorry for my horrible english - as far as i can tell this router is really awesome but the linksys firmware is PITA and looking for salvation (openWRT)!

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work! Thanks to all!

The "OpenWrt" way isn't compatible with the stuff in those repos. Given we are waiting for the wifi drivers, I would suggest holding your horses unless you want to replace the miniPCIe cards in the unit.

Guys please advise link to newest test version img of openwrt for this router

(Last edited by guitarman on 15 Jul 2014, 20:47)

Based on the good work of others (Kaloz), I had real hope of being able to install a true trunk build tonight.  It almost worked, I ended up with a working OS, but no wireless.
Attempting to insmod ap8x.ko yields:
ap8x: Unknown symbol dev_kfree_skb_any (err 0)

Suggestions would be appreciated!

fluxsmith wrote:

Based on the good work of others (Kaloz), I had real hope of being able to install a true trunk build tonight.  It almost worked, I ended up with a working OS, but no wireless.
Attempting to insmod ap8x.ko yields:
ap8x: Unknown symbol dev_kfree_skb_any (err 0)

Suggestions would be appreciated!

I recommend using Atttitude Adjustment V1 Release (openwrt-armadaxp--jffs2-128k.img) at least to start.
https://github.com/wrt1900ac/opensource/releases

Some 5Ghz wireless settings don't work like "N Only". 5Ghz "AN" or Mixed should work.