OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

redfox1977 wrote:

What is the processing status of the firmware?
Can I flash the Firmware under "http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … a-xp-mamba"?

I'm curious what that is too, but I wouldn't try to flash it.  It's 1,383,433 bytes; my current firmware build is 15,859,712 bytes.

(Last edited by fluxsmith on 28 Jun 2014, 14:51)

fluxsmith wrote:

I'm curious what that is too,

It's SDK files

DISTRIB_ID="OpenWrt"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="Bleeding Edge"
DISTRIB_REVISION="r41281"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="barrier_breaker"
DISTRIB_TARGET="mvebu/generic"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r41281"
DISTRIB_TAINTS=""

(Last edited by gufus on 29 Jun 2014, 00:37)

Hey guys. I am a bit new to this, but I was able to get nyt's image based on AA running on my router. However, it doesn't have a GUI to login to, and as far as I can tell has none of the required packages installed. However, the package repository it points to doesn't exist. Any tips as to what package repo I should use?

thomastaylor312 wrote:

Hey guys. I am a bit new to this, but I was able to get nyt's image based on AA running on my router. However, it doesn't have a GUI to login to, and as far as I can tell has none of the required packages installed. However, the package repository it points to doesn't exist. Any tips as to what package repo I should use?

Read this! IMPORTANT
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 64#p235564

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 68#p235268

IMHO

If your going to start playing around with unknown *.img better get a USB to TTL adaptor. You could brick it.

(Last edited by gufus on 29 Jun 2014, 06:10)

gufus wrote:
thomastaylor312 wrote:

Read this! IMPORTANT

IMHO

If your going to start playing around with unknown *.img better get a USB to TTL adaptor. You could brick it.

After bricking my router 3 times over the last two months and restoring it that many times with my USB to TTL adapter I am taking a break and staying on the Linksys stock firmware till things shake out on the openwrt front for this router. I ended up bricking it the first time because I attempted to flash BB from AA and I did not know any better. The recommendation is to flash back to Linksys stock and then flash to a different openwrt img. The last two times it bricked after some period of working well because I installed some mvebu packages (the 9.1 armadaxp openwrt packages referenced in the AA build don't exist yet).  Taking a break now, too much work restoring it through it's serial interface!

gufus wrote:
thomastaylor312 wrote:

Read this! IMPORTANT

IMHO

Thanks! So far it is working great and I haven't had any problems. I was planning on getting a USB to TTL adaptor just in case things do go south. I still wanted to try seeing if there was a way to install some packages though.

Is AA being worked on?

Also, I heard there was a mailing list to get updates on the development of openwrt on the 1900AC; where do I sign up?

sids73 wrote:

The last two times it bricked after some period of working well because I installed some mvebu packages (the 9.1 armadaxp openwrt packages referenced in the AA build don't exist yet).

Hmmm...

Thx for the tip smile

sids73 wrote:

..I ended up bricking it the first time because I attempted to flash BB from AA and I did not know any better. The recommendation is to flash back to Linksys stock and then flash to a different openwrt img...

It doesn't matter. I've been flashing in all sorts of directions-- from the official firmware, to the "official" OpenWRT releases to custom builds of both AA and BB.

There are two primary issues that occur when flashing a new image:
* A flash that doesn't flash correctly
* Hosed UBIFS volume.

I'm not sure what causes the first for me-- after flashing and attempting to boot I get a complaint about an invalid kernel image. Immediately reflashing the same image will almost always work... seems something randomly hosed during the flashing process.

Note too, I *only* flash from uboot....

I've also has a couple of occurrences where flashing the primary hoses the secondary.

The only time I've seen a hosed UBIFS volume is when I'm booting an image drastically different from the previous boot-- such as booting from AA to BB (I keep AA on the primary, BB on the secondary partitions).

Which is why I've modified their pre-init scripts to detect that, reformat the partition and restored from a backup (which is a pain under AA-- seems BB is much better at dealing with changes directly to the overlay partition then AA is. Oh well).

thomastaylor312 wrote:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 01#p235601

Heres what I did (going from memory, so might be off):

Edit the feeds.conf.default file at the top level directory-- comment out their line, luci line and uncomment the one next to it.

Run: ./scripts/feeds update -a
Run: ./scripts/feeds install -a

Run: make menuconfig
Select the luci options you are interested in
Run: make

I think I also removed feeds/packages and let it rebuild... probably nuked something they had patched. YMMV.

Hello all, I am new to this community (but not to open source or modding) but have jumped on the opportunity to snatch myself a new router and as you have guessed it is the wrt1900ac! I'm currently running the stock firmware but coming from an asus rt-n56u with a custom firmware it lacks many features hmm Now I understand that there are 2 prebuilt openwrt firmwares the first being AA and the second BB. Base on performance/reliability/features which one should I flash?

The WiFi is a problem. Last I heard there weren't any FOSS drivers available. So best keep that in mind.

jalyst wrote:
nyt wrote:
jalyst wrote:

So nyt, it's now over 2wks???
"Also, you should see some good news in 2-3 weeks, so sit tight."

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 14#p235214

I'm not Belkin, and it hasn't happened yet.  I'll be sure to post when it does.

I appreciate that, but you seemed confident that something substantial would happen in 2-3wks*, not so confident now?

dfarning wrote:

In more related good news...

John Crispin as done a series of commits related to WRT1900AC. ( https://dev.openwrt.org/timeline )

Last I checked the mail-list, Belkin's submissions were almost 100% naks...
Admittedly I haven't checked the latest big dump (usually ~1/mth IIRC) they did a few days back IIRC.
Hopefully the success rate has improved dramatically, for their sake...

*If this project is to get more traction & not be dead (comparatively speaking), we know what that substantial thing MUST be

delayed, hoping for end of July.

Yes we are...
I got a mail from Belkin, saying the release is on its way, but no date yet.

Boris2 wrote:

Yes we are...
I got a mail from Belkin, saying the release is on its way, but no date yet.

Let's hope its a source code release and not a binary release.

Chadster766 wrote:

Let's hope its a source code release and not a binary release.

"full source code" is explicitly stated in the email.

Boris2 wrote:

Yes we are...
I got a mail from Belkin, saying the release is on its way

On a slow boat from china...

Right?

(sorry couldn't resist)

The 802.11ac standard is only useful if you have a fiber to home connection and the desire to use a wifi dongle on your devices.

Your smartphones/tablets will not benefit from the 802.11ac functionality. Your laptop will need a external usb wifi adapter. You desktop should just be wired anyways. Should we mention the size of the currently available 802.11ac usb dongles?

I was happy to receive my Archer C7 V2 today, I found the installation of OpenWRT very easy and painless. I have OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r41553, is my version the most up to date? The listing was confusing as the dates were all the same.

I couldn't seem to install some features I wanted due to some kernel version complaint.

(Last edited by Anon28435 on 10 Jul 2014, 03:01)

Anon28435 wrote:

The 802.11ac standard is only useful if you have a fiber to home connection and the desire to use a wifi dongle on your devices.

Your smartphones/tablets will not benefit from the 802.11ac functionality. Your laptop will need a external usb wifi adapter. You desktop should just be wired anyways. Should we mention the size of the currently available 802.11ac usb dongles?

Incorrect.

1) There are many non-FTTH connections that reach speeds of 150Mbps or above. 802.11n can deliver this at close range but only AC can maintain this speed across multiple rooms. DOCSIS 3.1 HFC is slated to deliver close to 1Gbps without fibre to the home within 3-4 years, as is G.Fast

2) Internet is not the only use for a wireless network. Many people use it to transfer data across the LAN,including to/from a NAS drive.

3) Smartphones and tablets *will* benefit from 802.11ac. Laptops do not need an external adapter. 50% of the smartphones, laptops, and tablets in my home have 802.11ac built in. Most laptops can easily be upgraded with an internal 802.11ac adapter which will outperform any USB adapter.

4) The size of currently available 802.11ac dongles aren't much different to the size of standard 802.11n dongles. You don't get micro ones yet, but micro dongles of any standard suck balls anyway.

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 10 Jul 2014, 12:25)

Anon28435 wrote:

I was happy to receive my Archer C7 V2 today, I found the installation of OpenWRT very easy and painless. I have OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r41553, is my version the most up to date? The listing was confusing as the dates were all the same.

I couldn't seem to install some features I wanted due to some kernel version complaint.

Wireless AC is very useful for local LAN Applications and file transfers. Especially with file servers, media servers or NAS.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

1) There are many non-FTTH connections that reach speeds of 150Mbps or above. 802.11n can deliver this at close range but only AC can maintain this speed across multiple rooms.

That varies largely on your hardware. I can get my wifi even across the street from my home I get through many walls just fine. The currently available 802.11ac routers usually have excellent 802.11n antennas/range.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

DOCSIS 3.1 HFC is slated to deliver close to 1Gbps without fibre to the home within 3-4 years, as is G.Fast

802.11ac will be much more mature and this router will have support when that finally happens.
I only pay for 25mbps speeds as I consider the sweet spot. Slow enough I don't need to buy/lease a docsis 3 modem, fast enough I can play games/watch hd content with no lag. Downloading things at 3MiBps is good enough for me(for now.)

qasdfdsaq wrote:

2) Internet is not the only use for a wireless network. Many people use it to transfer data across the LAN,including to/from a NAS drive.

There will always be obscure uses of technology. Most people do not transfer files within their LAN very frequently(if at all.) The people that do may not benefit from 802.11ac enough to merit the cost.
I use netdrive on my laptop to allow streaming of content from my pc to my laptop. I experience no lag and would get no benefit from 802.11ac.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

3) Smartphones and tablets *will* benefit from 802.11ac. Laptops do not need an external adapter. 50% of the smartphones, laptops, and tablets in my home have 802.11ac built in. Most laptops can easily be upgraded with an internal 802.11ac adapter which will outperform any USB adapter.

Some of the newest devices do support 802.11ac, however I cannot think of a benefit to having 1gbps speeds on a smartphone/tablet. I think even if they have the capability, the interoperability issues and lack of usefulness continue to make 802.11ac of little benefit to smartdevice users. Smartdevice apps are usually designed to be bandwidth conservative anyways, further reducing the usefulness.

As a person that doesn't buy the newest electronics the day they come out,  none of my devices have support for 802.11ac.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

4) The size of currently available 802.11ac dongles aren't much different to the size of standard 802.11n dongles. You don't get micro ones yet, but micro dongles of any standard suck balls anyway.

For now, for most consumers I firmly believe it is better that they just wait for 802.11ac to mature a little bit more.
I am happy to have my archer c7 v2 running OpenWRT and consider the lack of 802.11ac a non-issue(for now.)