OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Does anyone happen to know if MiniDLNA is working? OpenWRT can see the USB but says there is nothing on it. i have connected it to the USB 3.0 port and the USB is NTSF formatted.

I am new to OpenWRT (The closest experience i have had the anything Linux related is Mac and iOS) so i'm not sure if the reason why MiniDNLA isnt working is because i didnt set it up correctly or because of the custom firmware.

P.S. Thank-you Chadster766 for all of your hard work!

(Last edited by MacMaster144 on 12 Oct 2014, 01:00)

Can I flash official firmware after flashing AttitudeAdjustment V1 ?

Thanks.

@barisahmet

Yes, you can and you SHOULD flash the original firmware before any other firmware.

nitroshift

@macmaster144 Minidlna works for me to the point of scanning the media. I can even see sda1. Bottom line: no, not yet

(Last edited by falserunes on 8 Sep 2014, 15:09)

@nitroshift thanks, is there any tutorial or wiki page for that? I am newbie and I want to back to official firmware. Thanks!

barisahmet wrote:

@nitroshift thanks, is there any tutorial or wiki page for that? I am newbie and I want to back to official firmware. Thanks!

How to update from OpenWrt to Belkin/Linksys

Login to the WRT1900AC web UI
Select the 'System' Tab, and then 'Backup / Flash Firmware' tab
In the 'Flash new firmware image' section click the 'choose file' button and select your firmware
Click 'flash image'

https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT

@dobetter thanks, but I want to flash official firmware, not McWRT. Can I just flash official image like that? I dont wanna do something wrong.

edit: Tried it and succesfully flashed back to the official firmware, and my official firmware configuration persists. Thank you.

(Last edited by barisahmet on 8 Sep 2014, 15:59)

OpenWrt trunk doesn't support the wireless yet, but everything else is working and keeps your settings across flashing there and back if you choose so.

Not entirely sure why anyone would buy a $300.00 wireless router and not use the wireless.......

BANG UP JOB CHADSTER !

Tx very much for your hard work !

With https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT does this allow the wireless functionality or is that still locked to the fact Marvell wont release there drivers?

Kaloz wrote:

OpenWrt trunk doesn't support the wireless yet, but everything else is working and keeps your settings across flashing there and back if you choose so.

@Kaloz,

I tried contacting you to get a better understanding of things to come form OpenWrt core with respect to this router. Given the state of the open source wireless driver, is it safe to assume that core OpenWrt developers have sort of shelved the idea of working on enhancing support? I really feel bad about how Marvell has f*cked the opensource community but is there nothing that can be done with the currently available opensource driver?

Thanks,
chhatc

Another way to turn the WPS light off is to click on System | LED Configuration and then Add a new configuration, name it WPS and then select the tlc59116:wps_white LED, then check the default configuration and trigger set for none. Save and Apply and this should turn off the WPS LED then.

This does not work however for the esata light unfortunately

I believe esata led is tied to one of the OpenWRT initial mount points because it lights up right after the power LED.

MacMaster144 wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if MiniDLNA is working? OpenWRT can see the USB but says there is nothing on it. i have connected it to the USB 3.0 port and the USB is NTSF formatted.

I am new to OpenWRT (The closest experience i have had the anything Linus related is Mac and iOS) so i'm not sure if the reason why MiniDNLA isnt working is because i didnt set it up correctly or because of the custom firmware.

P.S. Thank-you Chadster766 for all of your hard work!

It works.

Format your FLASH drive in "ext3" don't forget to change your mount point too.

nitroshift wrote:

I believe esata led is tied to one of the OpenWRT initial mount points because it lights up right after the power LED.

Because the power led and the esata led turn on exactly at the same time. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the below patches. Its as though gpio was set the same for both the power and esata leds.

attitude_adjustment/target/linux/armadaxp/patches-3.2/1009-register_gpio_power_led.patch
attitude_adjustment/target/linux/armadaxp/patches-3.2/1011-armadaxp-power-led-driver.patch

On my router the esata LED lights up after the power LED and just before the LAN LEDs.

People, please take precautions. Chadster766, despite his work, based his McWRT on the driver leaked from Marvell.
Yes, it was published with a GPL licence file but only for a very brief moment, removed right after, and the repository contained a document clearly marked as CONFIDENTIAL (the version history). I think it would be easy for Marvell to say it was stolen somehow, and that its release was in no way official. From a legal standpoint, I believe McWRT is risked.

Edit: OK, that's bs --> in Linksys GPL code center now

(Last edited by Boris2 on 12 Sep 2014, 18:33)

Boris2 wrote:

People, please take precautions. Chadster766, despite his work, based his McWRT on the driver leaked from Marvell.
Yes, it was published with a GPL licence file but only for a very brief moment, removed right after, and the repository contained a document clearly marked as CONFIDENTIAL (the version history). I think it would be easy for Marvell to say it was stolen somehow, and that its release was in no way official. From a legal standpoint, I believe McWRT is risked.

It's still published.  Dunno where you're getting this info.

It's in the file WRT1900AC_FW_v1.1.8.161917_SP2.tar

http://support.linksys.com/en-us/gplcodecenter

Yep..

gufus wrote:

Yep..

It sure is in that Linksys GPL. Its nice to have confirmation smile

nyt wrote:
Boris2 wrote:

It was removed for quite a time after first being posted (That's why I mirror'd it on GitHub). But I think at this point it's pretty safe to use it.

Even if Linksys were to revoke the GPL status of it, I believe the most they could do to Chadster would be a C&D asking him to take down his firmware builds/source. It's not really a "risky" firmware to be using for an end-user.

Also, having done a bit of quick research into the GPL. Even if they were to try to rescind the GPL coverage on it, the fact they posted that specific copy, and I was able to grab it, means that I now have a perpetual copy of that code under GPL, they can never revoke that from me (Woo, GPL). I then passed it on to Chadster (And anyone else who used my Repo). So yeah... Not much they could do, if anything it'd all lead back to me in the end anyways smile

(Last edited by Drakia on 10 Sep 2014, 03:21)

Drakia wrote:
nyt wrote:
Boris2 wrote:

It was removed for quite a time after first being posted (That's why I mirror'd it on GitHub). But I think at this point it's pretty safe to use it.

Even if Linksys were to revoke the GPL status of it, I believe the most they could do to Chadster would be a C&D asking him to take down his firmware builds/source. It's not really a "risky" firmware to be using for an end-user.

Also, having done a bit of quick research into the GPL. Even if they were to try to rescind the GPL coverage on it, the fact they posted that specific copy, and I was able to grab it, means that I now have a perpetual copy of that code under GPL, they can never revoke that from me (Woo, GPL). I then passed it on to Chadster (And anyone else who used my Repo). So yeah... Not much they could do, if anything it'd all lead back to me in the end anyways smile

If Marvell, OpenWRT or Belkin were to ask me to do that I would without hesitation.

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 10 Sep 2014, 03:24)

I flashed the image today, set a root password, and started configuring. When I changed the IP address of the router and it rebooted, I was unable to log in. I don't know if I made a typo in setting the password or what, but now I'm unable to log in as root.

Is there any way to reset the root password on the router when you don't know it? Any help would be appreciated.

Other than that, I'm loving the firmware!

@russt

Press the reset button on the router.