I am new here, but I am a Linux hacker and now have a bunch of Archer C2's that I need modified. I booted the C2 with a modified 2.6.36 kernel I created myself. Maybe this is not a big deal but I figured I would post my steps since this information does not seem to be readily available here.
For the kernel I unpacked GPL_ArcherC2v1.tar.gz and followed the README to build the kernel.
./Makefile.prep make kernel_build
After that was successful, I modified the Linux code and config and built the kernel again. The interesting kernel file is "linux.7z".
Then I used teslamint's patch to patch openwrt/master. I am only interested in the "mktplinkfw2" tool at this point. After building this tool, I created a boot image with:
./mktplinkfw2 -B ArcherC2 -k /tmp/linux.7z -r /tmp/rootfs.squashfs \ -E 0x8000c150 -L 0x80000000 -o /tmp/uImage
I retrieved the entry point (0x8000c150) by disassembling the Linux ELF image:
mipsel-linux-objdump -Dr /tmp/vmlinux | grep '<kernel_entry>'
To boot my new image (uImage), I aborted the boot sequence (pressing '4' over serial). Then used the following U-Boot commands (appropriate for my network):
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.1 setenv serverip 192.168.1.100 tftpboot 0x82000000 uImage bootm 0x82000000
Note that I am booting directly from memory. There is no need to wear down the flash for testing.
Now I am ready to actually debug/port drivers and start getting OpenWRT flying on this thing. Many thanks to teslamint for posting the WIP patch. Since I am totally unfamiliar with the OpenWRT tools, that really saved me a lot of work.