OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@IdiotProof I probably have been in part to blame for the perception about AP + STA being a chipset as opposed to OpenWRT issue.  klaberte has straightened me out, thankfully, that it's an OpenWRT design issue, which maybe in it's time was an OK solution for a home based bridge.

@klaberte GL.iNet is a business, and I do not expect them to give any of this away.   Alfie is a very nice player, but I would not ask him to do such.  That said, I am considering buying a device pretty much for hotel use where I will use multiple devices and use the client based tools in other places.

Your right, there is just not enough interest in this.

IdiotProof wrote:

Just so you don't get the wrong idea, I do understand that AP+STA does not work correctly with OpenWrt on the TM02 (it does work by using no encryption on the STA side however).  I now know that AP+AP works (though is useless to me) and I still would like to see if going from AP+AP to AP+STA by scanning may work in some way.  However, getting encryption working on both sides, seems to be the problem with AP+STA, so I plan to move on from here to use the USB2Wifi adapter when it arrives.

When you get the usb2wifi adapter (which one, btw?), please let us know how well it works for you.  As mentioned above, it works well (enough) for RangerZ, not so well for me.  But if you really have no ethernet device in your bag, you are going to have to have a dependable way to reconfigure your travel router via wireless.   You could go back to the stock hootoo OEM firmware, which does this out of the box (using the hootoo app), but what is the fun of that?!  Also, almost no chance OpenVPN will ever work.

Given the price and the popularity of the HooToo on amazon.com, I think a lot of future readers will eventually find this thread.  It will be good once we perfect a solid answer of how to set things up for the road warrior.  Please keep sharing your test results.

As for me, I have pretty much decided to focus on the 6414 for the reasons I listed above.  I'll probably buy two and use the double-stick tape option, or stick with one and accept using the wired laptop configuration each time.  I'm waiting to get my external antenna gl-inet, which is on a boat from Hong Kong at present.

I wonder if someone can help me with this one:

I need to overwrite the bootloader partition, mtd0 (u-boot).  It turns out that when I restored my TM03 to factory firmware the bootloader was still the original one, probably due to how I installed OpenWRT in the first place.  So I've installed OpenWRT on the TM02 using the factory bin image from http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hootoo/tripmate-nano and then the 15.05 sysupgrade image figuring that's what most people would do.  This overwrote the bootloader with the OpenWRT release and now I can't get the factory firmware to reload properly.  If I could get the original bootloader back on mtd0 that might do the trick.

It throws errors when trying to write.
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# mtd -f write Bootloader.bin u-boot
Could not open mtd device: u-boot
Can't open device for writing!

wingspinner posted these steps which are the ones I want to try next but don't know how to make the mtd partition writeable.
1. Shutdown the squashFS and run out of a ramdisk
2. Using mtd write "Bootloader.bin" to the u-boot MTD partition

Anyone know how?

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 19 Sep 2015, 22:32)

Quick update on what happened when I scanned for a connection (started with LAN (AP / WPA2) and WAN (AP / unencrypted), then scanned for a new SSID to connect to the WAN as STA - as described previously.  When I got back in, I found only the one wireless interface which I had scanned for (STA) - the LAN AP was gone, and the remaining interface had associated with the wan in the firewall rules which I think I configured before the commit.  Gonna leave that alone for now since the USB2Wifi adapter seems like it will work for me.

@klaberte, I now have a wired ethernet adapter for my tablet so can access the TM02 much more easily, and I also received an Edimax EW-7811Un (which I think is the same one Ranger Z uses).  Followed the instructions from Ranger Z here, only needed to install kmod-rtl8192cu, and reset.  This worked, however the adapter has issues and is being sent back (outside 10ft from the AP, there is massive packet loss even on a PC).

The good news is that I was able to use the Edimax + USB thumbdrive with a USB 2.0 hub (had seen there were problems with that setup noted before).  When plugged into the USB hub, the Edimax was seen as a new radio (radio2) and therefore had to be reconfigured - the Edimax was present as radio1 when installed directly in the TM02's USB port.  I was able to access the thumbdrive normally when connected to the hub with the Edimax also connected.  No idea about performance with that setup and a non-defective Edimax however.  The USB hub I used is a "Ableconn USB2HUB2B USB 2.0 2-Port Compact Hub (Black)" from Amazon.

@RangerZ, I was able to get the Edimax working with your instructions in the other thread (thanks), and I think once I have a working adapter I should be good to go.

Getting closer to a TM02 with AP+STA working as an Openwrt client!

(Last edited by IdiotProof on 21 Sep 2015, 06:21)

RangerZ wrote:

I can not explain why my unit works and  most others are problems.  Mine are 1-2 years old.  There are at least 2 other micro size adapters, but I have not checked to see if these are compatible.
http://support.netgear.com/product/WNA1000M
http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde … TEW-648UBM

The Edimax discussed here is very popular with the Raspberry Pi community, although I have seen others describe random issues that people write-off to manufacturing quality control.

From this link it seems that there are other re-badged versions, including at least one of the devices quoted here by RangerZ.

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#supported-rtl8192cu

I'm inclined to buy one of these other devices and see how they compare.  Also, the desire to add a second radio to an openwrt device should not be only a hootoo issue (or even a travel router issue).  Perhaps we should start poking around outside of this thread.

FYI: There is a bug in openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r42649.bin, the file used to flash OpenWRT onto TM01/2/3 routers via the HooToo firmware upgrade.  The backup created by the script would have a bad Rootfs.bin as a result.

USERMTD="$MTDPRE/mtd7"
ROOTFSMTD="$MTDPRE/mtd7"  <-- should be mtd8!!!

I don't know if wingspinner is still around to correct this.  It could prevent someone from restoring to factory firmware if they didn't create their own backup before running the conversion to OpenWRT.  Of course that is once a reliable process to restore from the backup is developed.

I bought this one, will report back on how it works (decided I want an ext antenna):
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N … B002SZEOLG
Atheros based:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN722N

Update: This works, just had to install the following:
kmod-ath
kmod-ath9k-common
kmod-ath9k-htc

Copied the settings from wifi detect into /etc/config/wireless and I was in business. 

Also works though the Ableconn USB2 hub.

(Last edited by IdiotProof on 24 Sep 2015, 07:19)

Good day everyone and thanks for all the info and work on tripmate.
I got the tripmate ht-tm01 and followed the instruction on this thread to install openwrt into it. It was successful however I tried to update it and bricked it. I have gotten all the files and serial console to unbrick it but don't know how to attach it to the board or what to do from there. Will greatly appreciate it if a detailed tutorial or a picture of where the cables are to be attached to. Also, I'm a supernoob with limited knowledge in this field ; it's actually a hobby. However, I so love the device and also brought the tripmate ht-tm02.

I hope to run a WIFI cyber cafe with the device, will it be possible?

(Last edited by sleopantro on 23 Sep 2015, 12:17)

sleopantro wrote:

I got the tripmate ht-tm01 and followed the instruction on this thread to install openwrt into it. It was successful however I tried to update it and bricked it. I have gotten all the files and serial console to unbrick it but don't know how to attach it to the board or what to do from there. Will greatly appreciate it if a detailed tutorial or a picture of where the cables are to be attached to. Also, I'm a supernoob with limited knowledge in this field ; it's actually a hobby. However, I so love the device and also brought the tripmate ht-tm02.

You don't need a serial connection to reload the firmware, you can tftp the firmware.bin image onto the router in "recovery" mode.

This works on TM02 and TM03, should work on TM01.

You need
- A tftp server running on 10.10.10.3.
- Copy the firmware.bin file to Kernal.bin (yes, actual spelling and capitalized) in the tftp server default directory.
- Ethernet connection.
- Running tcpdump on the workstation interface helps.
- Paper clip.

Power off the router, connect everything (via switch or direct), start tftpd, start tcpdump on your network interface, usually eth0.

Press and hold router reset pin with paper clip.  While holding reset then press and hold router power button.  Wifi LED should light up then go out again, 3-5 seconds.  Continue holding reset and release power.  Watch tcpdump output, after another 10-15 seconds you should see 10.10.10.123 looking for tftp on 10.10.10.3. Now you can release the reset pin. If tftp is running the Kernal.bin file will upload right away and you'll see the upload in tcpdump.

It can take another 3-5 minutes for the firmware to install.  Let it sit for a while, up to 10 minutes, then power cycle the router.  It should boot up on default config for OpenWRT.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 23 Sep 2015, 13:45)

Maybe it is a little stupid question.
I bricked my Hootoo. I am able to program (ICP) the flash. But... I lost my stock-firmware backup.
What to do???

e.g.
- how can I flash the firmware from the HooToo website? File is too large now.
- how can I flash the WRT-firmware by ICP??? (files are [too?] small).

TIA
JDZ

jdz01 wrote:

Maybe it is a little stupid question.
I bricked my Hootoo. I am able to program (ICP) the flash. But... I lost my stock-firmware backup.
What to do???

e.g.
- how can I flash the firmware from the HooToo website? File is too large now.
- how can I flash the WRT-firmware by ICP??? (files are [too?] small).

TIA
JDZ

How did you brick it?

Are you sure it's dead or can you tell if at least the bootloader is still there?  If it still has a working bootloader you should be able to reflash the firmware partition using the firmware.bin file from the OpenWRT factory upgrade image like "openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r42649.bin".  The firmware.bin is in the tar.gz data portion of that file.

The HooToo factory firmware files are incomplete and don't have all of the mtd partitions you would need to reflash.  Those only include Bootloader, Kernel and RootFS partitions.  Even the backup files created by the OpenWRT "factory" bin image above are not usable and missing the RootFS partition due to a bug.

mmmdonuts wrote:

How did you brick it?

Hi, totally sure I bricked it sad  Cause I was playing with jtag, without knowledge. Got some cheap Jtag. Pressed 'erase' - wow it worked sad:(:(
So no bootloader here anymore. Nothing here anymore.
Maybe someone can make a jtag backup of the whole flash, and share this with me....???

(Last edited by jdz01 on 25 Sep 2015, 21:07)

jdz01 wrote:

Hi, totally sure I bricked it sad  Cause I was playing with jtag, without knowledge. Got some cheap Jtag. Pressed 'erase' - wow it worked sad:(:(
So no bootloader here anymore. Nothing here anymore.
Maybe someone can make a jtag backup of the whole flash, and share this with me....???

I don't know enough about JTAG and flash to say if a raw dump of the mtd is all you would need to restore the router.  If that would work then it's only 8MB uncompressed.  Shouldn't be a problem to get a copy loaded somewhere.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 25 Sep 2015, 22:17)

mmmdonuts wrote:
sleopantro wrote:

You don't need a serial connection to reload the firmware, you can tftp the firmware.bin image onto the router in "recovery" mode.

You need
- Copy the firmware.bin file to Kernal.bin (yes, actual spelling and capitalized) in the tftp server default directory.
- Ethernet connection.
- Paper clip.

Power off the router, connect everything (via switch or direct), start tftpd, start tcpdump on your network interface, usually eth0.

Press and hold router reset pin with paper clip.  While holding reset then press and hold router power button.  Wifi LED should light up then go out again, 3-5 seconds.  Continue holding reset and release power.  Watch tcpdump output, after another 10-15 seconds you should see 10.10.10.123 looking for tftp on 10.10.10.3. Now you can release the reset pin. If tftp is running the Kernal.bin file will upload right away and you'll see the upload in tcpdump.

It can take another 3-5 minutes for the firmware to install.  Let it sit for a while, up to 10 minutes, then power cycle the router.  It should boot up on default config for OpenWRT.

thanks for the response. unfortunately, it didn't work and i think i have messed it up more.
everything worked smoothly until the watching the tcpdump output. never saw the "10.10.10.123 looking for tftp on 10.10.10.3. however, i noticed that the tftp server uploaded the Kernal file but didn't  see the upload in tcp dump. however,when i terminated he tcpdump it showed a number of sent and received bytes.

reviewing all the steps, i noticed i used a hootoo bin named fw-WiFiDGRJ-HooToo-TM01-2.000.022 which i changed to Kernal.bin instead of openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r42649 file. when i repeated the process i got no response from the tftp server. however, the tcpdump still showed no activity but could send and received bytes.
tried to telnet in but got connection timed out. checked the tftp log and got the below

Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 1343 [25/09 21:00:41.525]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [25/09 21:00:41.528]
File <Kernal.bin> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [25/09 21:00:41.528]
Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 2702 [25/09 21:00:42.285]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [25/09 21:00:42.287]
File <Kernal.bin> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [25/09 21:00:42.288]

it just keeps repeating that.
would really appreciate ant input on this

sleopantro wrote:

thanks for the response. unfortunately, it didn't work and i think i have messed it up more.
everything worked smoothly until the watching the tcpdump output. never saw the "10.10.10.123 looking for tftp on 10.10.10.3. however, i noticed that the tftp server uploaded the Kernal file but didn't  see the upload in tcp dump. however,when i terminated he tcpdump it showed a number of sent and received bytes.

reviewing all the steps, i noticed i used a hootoo bin named fw-WiFiDGRJ-HooToo-TM01-2.000.022 which i changed to Kernal.bin instead of openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r42649 file. when i repeated the process i got no response from the tftp server. however, the tcpdump still showed no activity but could send and received bytes.
tried to telnet in but got connection timed out. checked the tftp log and got the below

Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 1343 [25/09 21:00:41.525]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [25/09 21:00:41.528]
File <Kernal.bin> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [25/09 21:00:41.528]
Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 2702 [25/09 21:00:42.285]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [25/09 21:00:42.287]
File <Kernal.bin> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [25/09 21:00:42.288]

it just keeps repeating that.
would really appreciate ant input on this

A couple of things.
- Make sure the file to be uploaded is in the correct tftp root directory on the server.  It looks like it might not be.
- You need to extract the firmware.bin file (then rename to Kernal.bin) from the openwrt squashfs-factory.bin file.  The file is a script with a data "payload" in tar.gz format.  Near the top there is a SKIP value.  Further down you'll find this:

#Split out the firmware payload
/usr/bin/tail -n +$SKIP $0 > "$HTUSB/$USBDIR/$FIRMGZ"

You have to create the tar.gz file, for example:
tail -n +166 openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r42649.bin > openwrt.tar.gz

Then extract the files (unzip and untar):
tar -xvzf openwrt.tar.gz

From this you'll get the uboot.bin and firmware.bin files.

I'm not sure why tcpdump did not show your network activity, that's all it does and why I use it to monitor the transfer.  It was easy to identify the tftp client and server IP addresses needed by using the tool.  The sent/received bytes report is from the tcpdump utility reporting on the interface when you terminated the program, not tftp.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 26 Sep 2015, 00:19)

mmmdonuts wrote:

You need
- Ethernet connection.
- Paper clip.

Thanks a lot for this great information. How or where do you got this procedure ?
I follow your instructions and was able to unbrick my TM03 using the Tftpd64 under Windows 10.

Remark: Previously I had already OpenWRT on my TM03, but brick it with installing wrong firmware.

(Last edited by goddy99 on 26 Sep 2015, 12:27)

mmmdonuts wrote:

I don't know enough about JTAG and flash to say if a raw dump of the mtd is all you would need to restore the router.  If that would work then it's only 8MB uncompressed.  Shouldn't be a problem to get a copy loaded somewhere.

I think it is the only opportunity for me... With my (cheap China USB) jtag I cán write my flash memory, so it should work... But I cannot find an 8MB 'raw dump' on the web. Maybe somebody here can help me out. Would be very nice.

jdz01 wrote:

I think it is the only opportunity for me... With my (cheap China USB) jtag I cán write my flash memory, so it should work... But I cannot find an 8MB 'raw dump' on the web. Maybe somebody here can help me out. Would be very nice.

I have a TM02 running the current 15.05 build. If you want an mtd image in its default state (post reset) let me know.  I could upload it somewhere.

mmmdonuts wrote:

I have a TM02 running the current 15.05 build. If you want an mtd image in its default state (post reset) let me know.  I could upload it somewhere.

Would be very very nice.

This forum does not seem to have PM. Maybe you can sent me a wetransfer via jdzveilingatgmail.com
TIA

goddy99 wrote:

Thanks a lot for this great information. How or where do you got this procedure ?
I follow your instructions and was able to unbrick my TM03 using the Tftpd64 under Windows 10.

Remark: Previously I had already OpenWRT on my TM03, but brick it with installing wrong firmware.

You're welcome.  It took digging, research, trial and error, some desperation and a little experience unbricking other routers. 

I have a TM03 I wanted to restore to factory after trashing it and then loading OpenWRT using the same tftp steps.  Luckily the original bootloader from HooToo (also u-boot) was still on it and I got a TM02 to bring the TM03 back to its original state.  Then I loaded OpenWRT on the TM02 the clean way to see if I could do the same but the "squashfs-factory" bin replaces the original bootloader and I haven't been able to restore it.  No big deal.  I can keep OpenWRT on the TM02 or get a serial cable to play around with it.  Until now I did not want to crack them open for the serial connection.

The TM02+OpenWRT bootloader combination is a little different in that it invokes tftp almost immediately after holding the reset pin and applying power.  I don't know if the delay on the TM03 is due to the hardware (battery) or the bootloader since mine never had the OpenWRT u-boot.  Another difference is that the HooToo factory bootloader runs tftp on 10.10.10.128 (client) and 10.10.10.254 (server) looking for "kernel" and "rootfs" files. The above steps are a merger of the two assuming the running bootloader is OpenWRT u-boot image.

mmmdonuts wrote:

A couple of things.
- Make sure the file to be uploaded is in the correct tftp root directory on the server.  It looks like it might not be.
- You need to extract the firmware.bin file (then rename to Kernal.bin) from the openwrt squashfs-factory.bin file.  The file is a script with a data "payload" in tar.gz format.  Near the top there is a SKIP value.  Further down you'll find this:

#Split out the firmware payload
/usr/bin/tail -n +$SKIP $0 > "$HTUSB/$USBDIR/$FIRMGZ"

You have to create the tar.gz file, for example:
tail -n +166 openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r42649.bin > openwrt.tar.gz

Then extract the files (unzip and untar):
tar -xvzf openwrt.tar.gz

From this you'll get the uboot.bin and firmware.bin files.

I'm not sure why tcpdump did not show your network activity, that's all it does and why I use it to monitor the transfer.  It was easy to identify the tftp client and server IP addresses needed by using the tool.  The sent/received bytes report is from the tcpdump utility reporting on the interface when you terminated the program, not tftp.

wish i could be in the same boat as goddy99.
if i should follow your instructions i would need to use a linux workstation. that might take a while because i am currently on windows and quite busy. i utilized windump and i don't know if that could be the problem. i tried it again and got this

Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 1723 [26/09 22:17:33.888]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [26/09 22:17:33.888]
OACK: <timeout=5,> [26/09 22:17:33.888]
Using local port 54722 [26/09 22:17:33.888]
<Kernal.bin>: sent 6801 blks, 3482036 bytes in 4 s. 0 blk resent [26/09 22:17:37.960]

that's from the log of tftpd64 but the router refuses to work: still shows a solid blue.
i currently have a tripmate th-02, could i use it to get the tripmate th-01 to boot in any possible way?

(Last edited by sleopantro on 26 Sep 2015, 23:31)

sleopantro wrote:

wish i could be in the same boat as goddy99.
if i should follow your instructions i would need to use a linux workstation. that might take a while because i am currently on windows and quite busy. i utilized windump and i don't know if that could be the problem. i tried it again and got this

Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 1723 [26/09 22:17:33.888]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [26/09 22:17:33.888]
OACK: <timeout=5,> [26/09 22:17:33.888]
Using local port 54722 [26/09 22:17:33.888]
<Kernal.bin>: sent 6801 blks, 3482036 bytes in 4 s. 0 blk resent [26/09 22:17:37.960]

that's from the log of tftpd64 but the router refuses to work: still shows a solid blue.
i currently have a tripmate th-02, could i use it to get the tripmate th-01 to boot in any possible way?

It looks like tftp is working now so the next step is to get the correct files for Kernal.bin.

You don't need linux.  If you don't have cygwin you can download MobaXterm, it has all the tools you need to do the above, with the exception of tcpdump but windump should suffice.  MobaX is a lightweight portable install.  Make sure the windump is using the network adapter in promiscuous mode, it could be why you don't see activity.  Tcpdump/windump are not needed unless you want to monitor what the router is doing.  But since you are able to see the tftp upload it should work once you have the right files.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 27 Sep 2015, 00:21)

jdz01 wrote:

Would be very very nice.

This forum does not seem to have PM. Maybe you can sent me a wetransfer via jdzveilingatgmail.com
TIA

Wetransfer sent. Good luck!