OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

mmmdonuts wrote:

Wetransfer sent. Good luck!

Thanks!
It is running again. Leds are flashing.
Some settings are different from the original:
* Lan port is working, but there is no wifi
* The LAN port gives me a ip-address: 192.168.1.186. Gateway is 192.168.1.1. (So DHCP is working fine)
* On 192.168.1.1 I do not find a router home-page.
Any idea where I can find the router home-page now?

TIA
JDZ

(Last edited by jdz01 on 27 Sep 2015, 08:14)

jdz01 wrote:

Thanks!
It is running again. Leds are flashing.
Some settings are different from the original:
* Lan port is working, but there is no wifi
* The LAN port gives me a ip-address: 192.168.1.186. Gateway is 192.168.1.1. (So DHCP is working fine)
Any idea where I can find the router home-page now?

TIA
JDZ

What you listed seems correct except for LuCI home page which should have also started on reboot.  The default config (reset settings) only has the LAN port active and wifi must be activated and configured.

When you say settings are different from original, were you trying to get back to HooToo firmware or OpenWRT? Since you have a flash programmer it should be fairly easy for you to go with either firmware as long as you had both images.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 27 Sep 2015, 15:31)

mmmdonuts wrote:
jdz01 wrote:

What you listed seems correct except for LuCI home page which should have also started on reboot.  The default config (reset settings) only has the LAN port active and wifi must be activated and configured.

Oops... my pc has a VMWare Network adapter installed, on 192.168.1.1... It was a problem in the past but I forgot (wondering no more people have this problem). Changed the ip-adres of the VMWare adapter... and there she was... LUCI.
Got it all working now. Easy as pie.
These 5 Euro's for the JTag adapter/cable were well spent.

JDZ01

I saw posts in another (related) thread indicating someone was trying to use this on the HT-TM01. They had some problems, and there was no follow-up to indicate they'd gotten it to work eventually. So I'll just ask this: Does this support the HT-TM01?

jdz01 wrote:

JDZ01

Can you share which JTAG adapter you're using?

mmmdonuts wrote:
jdz01 wrote:

JDZ01

Can you share which JTAG adapter you're using?

CH341A-programmer-USB-motherboard-routing-BIOS-LCD-FLASH-2425-burner
SOIC8-SOP8-Chip-IC-Test-Clip-Adapter-Board-Kabel-BIOS-24-25-93-Programmer-DL

(Last edited by jdz01 on 28 Sep 2015, 17:57)

howtoo set HooToo WRT as wifi-lan converter for printer in wifi network?

Hello, glad I got my Hootoo running again. I am new to OpenWrt.
In our office we have a Lan-printer, without wifi. In the room however there is only wifi. It should be possible to setup the HooToo-WRT as a wivi -> lan converter for my printer.
Can someone please give me some instructions how too setup my Hootoo. What basic settings? What packages to download?
TIA
JDZ01

Are you asking to build a wireless bridge between your primary router's wifi and the HooToo, and then use the HooToo's LAN to connect to your network printer?

If so search the wiki for wireless bridge.  Not sure if you will need relayd if you only want to connect for the LAN based printer.  You will if you want other wireless devices to connect to your HooToo.

RangerZ wrote:

Are you asking to build a wireless bridge between your primary router's wifi and the HooToo, and then use the HooToo's LAN to connect to your network printer?

Well, I connected the printer to HooToo's LAN. But the printer now gets an IP address from HooToo. I cannot reach the printer from my PC now.
How too setup HooToo(WRT) so that the printer get's its IP-address from the (wifi-)router's DHCP server, in the same range as where my PC is?

Edit - installed the relay-options, and created a realy-bridge. The printer now gets an IP-address from the home-network (wifi router) . e.g. 192.168.178.108. Also the Hootoo gets an own Ip-address: 192.168.178.113
I can ping printer ánd Hootoo. But the printer-driver-installer does not find the printer. Firewall-problem???

(Last edited by jdz01 on 29 Sep 2015, 10:28)

You did not answer the part about if you need the HooToo to run as an AP for OTHER wireless clients.  If the answer is no, search for dumb ap, and try that config (with out using relayd), but use the wireless to scan and connect to your main router.

I never tried to connect a printer.  Do not know the issues.

jdz01 wrote:

Well, I connected the printer to HooToo's LAN. But the printer now gets an IP address from HooToo. I cannot reach the printer from my PC now.
How too setup HooToo(WRT) so that the printer get's its IP-address from the (wifi-)router's DHCP server, in the same range as where my PC is?

Edit - installed the relay-options, and created a realy-bridge. The printer now gets an IP-address from the home-network (wifi router) . e.g. 192.168.178.108. Also the Hootoo gets an own Ip-address: 192.168.178.113
I can ping printer ánd Hootoo. But the printer-driver-installer does not find the printer. Firewall-problem???

Your best bet would be to give both the AP and printer static IP addresses.  Printers on DHCP without "robust" naming services become problematic.  Pick IPs from your static pool (below 100?) and set both devices.  You might have to manually enter the printer IP when installing the driver or allow it to scan the network.  Every printer driver setup has its own quirks.

...slight edit...

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 29 Sep 2015, 15:19)

Actually ALWAYS make sure you have a fixed static LAN IP on the HooToo, and DO NOT rely on the primary router to assign this, even statically based upon MAC.  If you need to access your device off the LAN for service, it will not have an IP and appear inaccessible.

I agree with mmmdonuts on the printer too.

RangerZ wrote:

You did not answer the part about if you need the HooToo to run as an AP for OTHER wireless clients.  If the answer is no, search for dumb ap, and try that config (with out using relayd), but use the wireless to scan and connect to your main router.

There are no other wireless clients.
But I do not understand what you mean with 'dump ap'.
Thanks
JDZ01

jdz01 wrote:

There are no other wireless clients.
But I do not understand what you mean with 'dump ap'.
Thanks
JDZ01

Some call it station mode.  The AP is strictly a wireless client connecting to the wifi router to establish a bridge in order to extend the network for wired nodes.  No other wireless clients can associate with the HooToo in this mode. You assign it a LAN IP for admin access and all traffic is allowed through the ethernet port(s).

I believe relayd allows for it to be an AP/repeater to extend both wired and wireless traffic.  Sometimes good, not always needed, and can cause other problems.

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 29 Sep 2015, 18:33)

mmmdonuts wrote:
sleopantro wrote:

wish i could be in the same boat as goddy99.
if i should follow your instructions i would need to use a linux workstation. that might take a while because i am currently on windows and quite busy. i utilized windump and i don't know if that could be the problem. i tried it again and got this

Connection received from 10.10.10.123 on port 1723 [26/09 22:17:33.888]
Read request for file <Kernal.bin>. Mode octet [26/09 22:17:33.888]
OACK: <timeout=5,> [26/09 22:17:33.888]
Using local port 54722 [26/09 22:17:33.888]
<Kernal.bin>: sent 6801 blks, 3482036 bytes in 4 s. 0 blk resent [26/09 22:17:37.960]

that's from the log of tftpd64 but the router refuses to work: still shows a solid blue.
i currently have a tripmate th-02, could i use it to get the tripmate th-01 to boot in any possible way?

It looks like tftp is working now so the next step is to get the correct files for Kernal.bin.

You don't need linux.  If you don't have cygwin you can download MobaXterm, it has all the tools you need to do the above, with the exception of tcpdump but windump should suffice.  MobaX is a lightweight portable install.  Make sure the windump is using the network adapter in promiscuous mode, it could be why you don't see activity.  Tcpdump/windump are not needed unless you want to monitor what the router is doing.  But since you are able to see the tftp upload it should work once you have the right files.

Thank you thank you thank you.
Finally got it back to default openwrt and was able to telnet into it. Wish I could express my appreciation ; was about to dispose of it as a power bank to a friend.
Thanks again.

otorskchy002 wrote:

I saw posts in another (related) thread indicating someone was trying to use this on the HT-TM01. They had some problems, and there was no follow-up to indicate they'd gotten it to work eventually. So I'll just ask this: Does this support the HT-TM01?

Yes, it works on the TM01 if you follow the instructions to the letter.
However, let me inform you at which point I bricked the unit.
After installing openwrt factory-r42649.bin file and log into Luci, you will notice that Lucia does not have the "Bridge" menu option. Also, a certain package required for samba service would be missing. like he said on page one, do not try and upgrade with the systemgrade.bin.

mmmdonuts wrote:

Some call it station mode.  The AP is strictly a wireless client connecting to the wifi router to establish a bridge in order to extend the network for wired nodes.  No other wireless clients can associate with the HooToo in this mode. You assign it a LAN IP for admin access and all traffic is allowed through the ethernet port(s).

What if you want to reverse it? Tripmate ht-tm02 connected to a PC via ethernet, same PC connected to a router. Aim is to enable Internet access to the tripmate via the Internet connected PC?

sleopantro wrote:

What if you want to reverse it? Tripmate ht-tm02 connected to a PC via ethernet, same PC connected to a router. Aim is to enable Internet access to the tripmate via the Internet connected PC?

For other wireless clients to connect?  That would be a basic AP only (dumb AP) config.  The station mode I described before was for the wireless bridge jdz01 wants.  The dumb AP mode RangerZ described is the one you want though putting the PC in the middle to share internet would be a security risk.

Most travel routers support a wireless client/AP/router mode (WISP) though I don't know how well OpenWRT handles that and throughput would be reduced somewhat.

Then you have AP/repeater which RangerZ mentioned needing relayd to configure.

Is the PC in the middle because you're using a mobile hotspot?

mmmdonuts wrote:
sleopantro wrote:

For other wireless clients to connect?  That would be a basic AP only (dumb AP) config.  The station mode I described before was for the wireless bridge jdz01 wants.  The dumb AP mode RangerZ described is the one you want though putting the PC in the middle to share internet would be a security risk.

Most travel routers support a wireless client/AP/router mode (WISP) though I don't know how well OpenWRT handles that and throughput would be reduced somewhat.

Then you have AP/repeater which RangerZ mentioned needing relayd to configure.

Is the PC in the middle because you're using a mobile hotspot?

Exactly.  Considering I just restored the router I want to install packages into it with the PC in the middle.

Hi all! I need some help here. I have an HT-TM02 that was not working properly and was totally smashed during flash update, so factory flashing is no longer available. I got the serial console soldered and I can access it through putty but I am having trouble setting the tftp server.
When the router is booted I press I in order to access the menu, than I need z to access the prompt, but I seem unable to go any further. I have a flood of "ArpTimeoutCheck" each time I try tftp... any hint?

mmmdonuts wrote:

The TM02+OpenWRT bootloader combination is a little different in that it invokes tftp almost immediately after holding the reset pin and applying power.  I don't know if the delay on the TM03 is due to the hardware (battery) or the bootloader since mine never had the OpenWRT u-boot.  Another difference is that the HooToo factory bootloader runs tftp on 10.10.10.128 (client) and 10.10.10.254 (server) looking for "kernel" and "rootfs" files. The above steps are a merger of the two assuming the running bootloader is OpenWRT u-boot image.

I managed to get to this point on my TM02, can someone explain me how to get the kernel and rootfs file either from the original hootoo firmware or from the open wrt? Thanks for the suggestions I am now seeing the outputs both on the serial console and on the tftp server log. I am on windows, if this can be of some help...
---- Edit
ok, I got the tail working, untarred, renamed firmware.bin as kernel and uboot.bin as rootfs ...  got them uploaded, I'll report if I managed to get anything alive!

(Last edited by liladude on 3 Oct 2015, 20:31)

sleopantro wrote:

Exactly.  Considering I just restored the router I want to install packages into it with the PC in the middle.

Oh, to install.  In that case change the TM02 LAN (wired) interface type to DHCP client in the router admin, LuCI.  It will save and restart with the new IP as long as it can reach a DHCP server through the PC interface.  It should be able to download and install packages after that. 

I don't have LuCI open right now so I can't remember the actual navigation...

(Last edited by mmmdonuts on 3 Oct 2015, 21:01)

liladude wrote:

I managed to get to this point on my TM02, can someone explain me how to get the kernel and rootfs file either from the original hootoo firmware or from the open wrt? Thanks for the suggestions I am now seeing the outputs both on the serial console and on the tftp server log. I am on windows, if this can be of some help...
---- Edit
ok, I got the tail working, untarred, renamed firmware.bin as kernel and uboot.bin as rootfs ...  got them uploaded, I'll report if I managed to get anything alive!

In my experience with the TM03 I only allowed it to upload "kernel" and not "rootfs".  There is no rootfs image in the OpenWRT factory bin and it wouldn't work when I tried to allow both files to upload.  I pretty much pulled the plug after kernel uploaded and the router started looking for "rootfs", then rebooted the router for it to start on OpenWRT. 

To restore to original HooToo firmware you need more of the mtd partitions.  The original mtd4-mtd8 to be uploaded as a single file - "kernel".

mmmdonuts wrote:

Oh, to install.  In that case change the TM02 LAN (wired) interface type to DHCP client in the router admin, LuCI.  It will save and restart with the new IP as long as it can reach a DHCP server through the PC interface.  It should be able to download and install packages after that. 

I don't have LuCI open right now so I can't remember the actual navigation...

Thanks for your response and continuous help. Recall that I just restored the firmware.bin. It doesn't have Lucia and would need to access the Internet to install it.
Or do you suggest I install the full openwrt file using the same method?

Sorry, posts 351 to 350 are missing from our archive.