OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

hiperco, did you install the firewall package? Try to do "/etc/init.d/firewall stop" to turn it off and test it. If that works, then edit the firewall config to open the port mjpg-streamer is listening on.

Disabling the firewall didn't help.  Getting desperate here!

I want to try it with it set as an AP, sop see if that helps.  Can someone describe to to convert the default configuration of this build into an AP?  I quickly get confused about how the ports are supposed to be configured.

EDIT:  Are there good alternatives to MJPG-streamer that I could try?

(Last edited by hiperco on 13 Mar 2015, 15:21)

Went from bad to worse, broke the network and can't get back in via Luci. 

-Have command line access through serial. 
-Tried the "firstboot" command, but still can't get network going (no luci?)
-Do have TFTP , but not sure how to leverage this to restore what I need.

Any advice is appreciated!

Was able to flash a sysupgrade image via tftp, and then manually configure eth0 for wired access.  Was then able to upgrade the packages and install luci, but luci doesn't seem to be running.  I did start uHTTPd.

OK, got it working!  Needed to flash the latest sysupgrade from the trunk, then downloaded the packages (including Luci) after fixing the path to the packages.  (Is it normal for the packages path to be incorrect on the latest build?  How often does this get updated?)

Was then able to install mjpg-streamer and get it working smile  (Was connected through eth0 to the network for this test, with no wifi turned on).

TravelingMan wrote:

OK. Moving slowly ahead - I'm now able to access the internet via wifi lan/cabled wan (the problem was caused by a vlan issue), but am unable to install the current trunk OpenVPN package due to a kernel dependency.

Update - Installed latest trunk release and packages (3 Feb 2015 openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin). So far so good - at least for the OpenVPN functionality that I need. I haven't tried the USB port functionality or added any packages other than Wingspinner's base packages plus wget, unzip and openvpn-openssl. I'll update if I detect any interesting or funky behaviour with the build over time. If all works well, I'll stay with this build until a stable version of CC is released.

Please can you post you config files to make this is a normal AP router.

trumee wrote:

Please can you post you config files to make this is a normal AP router.

Guys, so many of these questions are answered in the wiki. One of the many great things about OpenWRT is that the config files are pretty much hardware independent. The same AP config setup on most other plattforms will work on a RAMIPS platform. Just make sure you keep your device names consistent.

Routed AP setup is here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedap

I've discovered that the board is compatible with in-circuit programming of the flash chip which makes for easy debricking,  upgrading of uboot, or reverting back to the HooToo firmware. I use the "flashrom" app along with the TIAO Tumpa (USB Multi-Protocol Adapter) http://www.diygadget.com/tiao-usb-multi … rial.html, and one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141377097279?_t … EBIDX%3AIT   I've found this to be much quicker and easier than TFTP.

Can you elaborate on the details of doing this?  Do you have to pause the processor somehow?  what connections to programmer, etc  thanks

Hi Guys,

So much progress has been made by the OpenWRT team I decided it was time to provide some new "factory" upgrade images on my Github repository https://github.com/wingspinner/HooToo-T … 02-OpenWRT. If you are planning to convert a new TM02 to OpenWRT I suggest you use the newer images rather than the old one (which is still there). Please read the readme files there for more info. Instructions in the first post of this thread have been updated.

Also, I've generated and stored the entire packages repository for r44945 on the github site so that it will continue to be available as the trunk moves to future revisions. Best way to use that is to clone it to your local system and reset your repository url's to point to it.

Lastly, for advanced users who have the capability to build your own images, I've added a tool to generate HooToo compatible "factory" images. It requires a sysupgrade image and uboot image as input. Again, read the readme on github for usage info. At some point I'd like to integrate this into the OpenWRT build tool. If someone wants to take my work and convert it from a shell script to a c program compatible with the OpenWRT builder I wouldn't mind at all! I've published it under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

One more thing... I just received an HT-TM04. It's a great little box! It's pretty similar to the TM02 (as all RT5350 based devices are) and I'll have some "factory" images for it soon. Just need to verify GPIO's and such.

Enjoy!

Ron Curry
wingspinner

(Last edited by wingspinner on 24 Mar 2015, 18:15)

I've verified that the TM02 images work just fine on the TM04 with no modifications. LED and switches are mapped identically. I used the MMC and SD kernel modules and the SD card works fine as well. As far as I can tell it's fully compatible with the TM02 and everything works fine. Have at it!

Cheers,
Ron Curry
Wingspinner

Thanks for all the contributions! 

I'd still love to hear how you programmed the flash in-circuit, I can't get this to work (it seems the host CPU will likely need to be held in reset somehow...)

To wingspinner (or anyone else who may know)

I tried flashing the latest
openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r44945-ws.bin
file from within the LuCI console, but received an error saying
"The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format"

Is it not possible to directly flash the newer r44945 image from within the r42649 LuCI console?

HooTooJunkie wrote:

To wingspinner (or anyone else who may know)

I tried flashing the latest
openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r44945-ws.bin
file from within the LuCI console, but received an error saying
"The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format"

Is it not possible to directly flash the newer r44945 image from within the r42649 LuCI console?

Please take a look at the OpenWRT documentation and the basics of upgrading OpenWRT.

A "factory" image is only used for the first-time upgrading of a device from it's original firmware to OpenWRT as described here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.flashing

After that you must use a "sysupgrade" image as described here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade

OpenWRT Documentation, search, and Google are you friends....

(Last edited by wingspinner on 28 Mar 2015, 03:23)

hiperco wrote:

Thanks for all the contributions! 

I'd still love to hear how you programmed the flash in-circuit, I can't get this to work (it seems the host CPU will likely need to be held in reset somehow...)

It's not clear what you mean by you can't get it to work?  Please explain what you have setup and what's not working.

(Last edited by wingspinner on 28 Mar 2015, 03:24)

Using the hardware referenced in your first post (Tumpa programmer and 8 pin in circuit adapter) with flashrom.  Unable to  detect chip.  An o scope shows clear signs of signal contention on Chip select etc.  I tried with the Tumpa powering the chip through the 8 pin adapter, the HooToo powering the chip, and (in desperation) with both powering the chip.   I removed the chip and read and programmed it without issue. 

So, how did you make it work in circuit?  Do you hold the processor in reset somehow?

wingspinner wrote:

Hi Guys,

So much progress has been made by the OpenWRT team I decided it was time to provide some new "factory" upgrade images on my Github repository https://github.com/wingspinner/HooToo-T … 02-OpenWRT. If you are planning to convert a new TM02 to OpenWRT I suggest you use the newer images rather than the old one (which is still there). Please read the readme files there for more info. Instructions in the first post of this thread have been updated.

Thanks for updating the repo. Please can you post the 'sysupgrade' file too. I am presently using trunk-r44915 and would like to upgrade to your release. Also, does this release include failsafe?

Great work.

Everything worked flawlessly for the install and getting the basics working on my TM04.  But I couldn't just leave it there.  I am looking to add openvpn as a client.  My goal is this will be my travel router that pipes everything back home through the VPN and out from there. 

I was able to install it by ignoring the dependencies.  Everything is configured, but during the connection phase I am getting

ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

I have been digging for a solution, but so far no luck.  Any advice from this group?

Thanks
Mike

Hi wingspinner, can you advise on in circuit programming per my posts above?  I'd appreciate it, thanks!

hiperco wrote:

Using the hardware referenced in your first post (Tumpa programmer and 8 pin in circuit adapter) with flashrom.  Unable to  detect chip.  An o scope shows clear signs of signal contention on Chip select etc.  I tried with the Tumpa powering the chip through the 8 pin adapter, the HooToo powering the chip, and (in desperation) with both powering the chip.   I removed the chip and read and programmed it without issue. 

So, how did you make it work in circuit?  Do you hold the processor in reset somehow?

It never occurred to me that anyone would try to connect a powered up external programmer to a powered-up running system at the same time... Obviously, that's not going to work. Only one device can drive the FLASH chip at a time and since you want the programmer to be doing the driving that should be the only device where power and signals are coming from.

mhendrick wrote:

Great work.

Everything worked flawlessly for the install and getting the basics working on my TM04.  But I couldn't just leave it there.  I am looking to add openvpn as a client.  My goal is this will be my travel router that pipes everything back home through the VPN and out from there. 

I was able to install it by ignoring the dependencies.  Everything is configured, but during the connection phase I am getting

ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

I have been digging for a solution, but so far no luck.  Any advice from this group?

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
Can't say for sure but likely that's a result of ignoring the dependencies. I suggest you upgrade to the latest trunk version and then install all your packages (after fixing the broken repository paths as I've noted in the first post in the updates section at the bottom of the post).

Cheers,
Ron

HooTooJunkie wrote:
trumee wrote:
wingspinner wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for updating the repo. Please can you post the 'sysupgrade' file too. I am presently using trunk-r44915 and would like to upgrade to your release. Also, does this release include failsafe?

I don't know if you saw my post, above yours,
but I put a link to the sysupgrade file in there, from the trunk.
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin

It's just the basic version though...that's all there is...for now.

Download the "sysupgrade" from the trunk, configure your device as a client and connect to your network, then install the packages you need using either lucy or the command line opkg. OpenWRT was designed for that and there is no need to build a new image every time you need to add a package.

Thanks,
I will give it a try and report back.

The reason I had to ignore the dependencies was because there was a kernel mismatch if I didn't do that and it would not install.  I found a suggestion saying that is usually not an issue.

Here are the results.  I completed the upgrade with snapshot and reinstalled all the packagaes.  This allowed a openvpn-openssl to install with no issues.  Howerver, I am still getting the error

Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)

I will keep digging and playing with the configuration.

Mike

Update:  I did get it working.  Tried a bunch of things not sure which was the right one or what combo.  But here are a couple of them

Enter mkdir -p /dev/net
Enter mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
Enter chmod 600 /dev/net/tun

I also ran the openvpn command directly from command line one time.  This is when the connection started working.
openvpn --mktun --dev tap0

(Last edited by mhendrick on 5 Apr 2015, 16:20)

Hi everyone. I need some help with my TM02. I am pretty sure I accidentally disabled all interfaces to enable on boot and now naturally I cannot access the device at all. I tried using the reset button to enter some form of failsafe mode and tried to tftp from 10.10.10.3 as wingspinner suggested, but the TM02 didn't respond at all.

I am at a complete loss for how to un-jack this mess. Can someone help me? I just need to be able to talk to it some how. I am comfortable enough with command line to get it back if I can just talk to it, but would prefer to un-jack it using LuCI (which, admittedly is how I got into this mess).

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Just wanted to add some more info that might be useful. I don't think it is wholly bricked because it does present my wireless network and let's me join (kind of... the connection keeps resetting).

(Last edited by aj1x on 7 Apr 2015, 04:27)

Hi, I managed to be locked-out in a similar manner, but was able to "reset" it by getting into the serial console and enter the firstboot command, then reboot

That's really the easiest way, other than reprogramming the flash chip, manually.

If you already tried TFTP you most likely already know how to access it's serial console.
If not...
You'll need to attach a USB to TTL Serial cable to the built-in serial console connector pins on the board to do it.

wingspinner explains where to get, and how to connect this cable to it, earlier in this thread.

I used the new Prolific chip cable, and driver, http://www.adafruit.com/products/954
but there's another cable, that's a bit more expensive. (FTDI cable) sold at adafruit or other places too.

Check it out at this link.
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBon … ug_Cables.

You'll also need Putty if you're using it with a Windows PC, to access the cable after installing the cables driver.

If you use Linux, the driver is built-in, but I don't know much about using Linux and if Putty is needed too, or if that or another method is also built-in to that OS, to access the USB to TTL serial cable.

There's also eBay, and China sellers smile
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=U … 1654562217

I wouldn't be surprised if adafruit gets them form china, and resells them at a higher cost in America. wink

The cable does look similar to the adafruit product.

I opened my adafruit cable, blue plastic end, and saw it actually has many more connection options than just the ones brought-out onto the cable connector wires.
So, for me, I was happier I got that one.

aj1x wrote:

Hi everyone. I need some help with my TM02. I am pretty sure I accidentally disabled all interfaces to enable on boot and now naturally I cannot access the device at all. I tried using the reset button to enter some form of failsafe mode and tried to tftp from 10.10.10.3 as wingspinner suggested, but the TM02 didn't respond at all.

I am at a complete loss for how to un-jack this mess. Can someone help me? I just need to be able to talk to it some how. I am comfortable enough with command line to get it back if I can just talk to it, but would prefer to un-jack it using LuCI (which, admittedly is how I got into this mess).

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Just wanted to add some more info that might be useful. I don't think it is wholly bricked because it does present my wireless network and let's me join (kind of... the connection keeps resetting).

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 7 Apr 2015, 08:51)