OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Files and install instructions for HooToo HT-TM02 and HT-TM04(RT5350)

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I updated my TM02 from the "factory" image to the latest snapshot version using

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin

Everything seems fine.

Thanks wingspinner!!!! Great job!

BTW, if you're going to do so, read "10-2015 - To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade" section carefully and install all necessary packages. Otherwise your USB might not work. Good luck!

scy.tulip wrote:

Everything seems fine.

BTW, if you're going to do so, read "10-2015 - To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade" section carefully and install all necessary packages. Otherwise your USB might not work. Good luck!

Because I'm a fool I just thought I'd give this a shot and upgrade, without even reading 10-2015. I opted to retain configuration settings. Now I am unable to ssh or telnet into the hootoo. The main router which the hootoo is attached to (via ethernet) reports that it is reachable at 192.168.1.76, however no response. Any advice as to what to do next to regain access?

EDIT: Silly me. Instead of resetting the device by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds whilst booted I was trying to enter failsafe mode, as instructed on the openwrt wiki page. I've just reset the configuration by pressing for 30 seconds and now have telnet access.

Now to install these packages...

(Last edited by pkilfeather1 on 29 Apr 2015, 23:06)

pkilfeather1 wrote:
scy.tulip wrote:

Everything seems fine.

Because I'm a fool I just thought I'd give this a shot and upgrade, without even reading 10-2015. I opted to retain configuration settings. Now I am unable to ssh or telnet into the hootoo. The main router which the hootoo is attached to (via ethernet) reports that it is reachable at 192.168.1.76, however no response. Any advice as to what to do next to regain access?

EDIT: Silly me. Instead of resetting the device by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds whilst booted I was trying to enter failsafe mode, as instructed on the openwrt wiki page. I've just reset the configuration by pressing for 30 seconds and now have telnet access.

Now to install these packages...

After the reset or the new install, the device IP address may be changed to 192.168.1.1. This might conflict with your upstream router. Try telneting 192.168.1.1. If you cannot access your OpenWrt, try changing your upstream router's IP temporarily.

Attention: the upgrade doesn't come with Luci. You need telnet first!

Yes thanks for your help I was able to telnet in, set a password then install everything listed in 10-2015 via opkg. Turns out I think I actually prefer installing through opkg instead of luci - much faster!

I am experimenting with using transmission or perhaps minidlna and would like more space on the hootoo. I have been able to partition my external drive so that one partition acts as a swap, while another acts as an extroot overlay and the third is for my data. My question is, how can I safely shutdown the hootoo/unmount the drive when it is being used as an overlay? The file system is ext4.

Thanks for your help guys

Hi All,

Many thanks everyone for sharing solutions. That is a great help!
I currently have 2 x HT-TM2's. One with original firmware and one with openWRT. I wanted to use the original one when travelling. I notice that quite often wifi is weak and available only by  hotel room door or window. This is where I would place HT - TM2 with battery and create my own SSID. I noted that for some reason sensitivity on Hootoo firmware is lower than on OpenWRT - 9 SSIDs vs 15 SSIDs respectively. Is there any mod that could improve reception? I quite like simplicity and reliability of Hootoo firmware and the only thing I would like to improve is router ability to receive weaker signals.

OpenWRT is fantastic piece of firmware but i have a few problems with it. I have been trying to auto mount various usb stics and hdds (ntfs, ext4, exfat) but with no success. I installed all packages as suggested by Wingspinner except  kmod-app-samba as Luci throws an error. Not sure if that's the reason usb drives are not being detected?

The other day I rebooted my HT-TM02 and found out that not only all settings but also all packages were gone. Since then I updated firmware to latest OpenWRT and all seems to be ok so far. But for argument's sake can I go back to Winspinner's OpenWRT just by flashing the below file in Luci?

https://github.com/wingspinner/HooToo-T … 945-ws.bin

Many thanks everyone.

pkilfeather1 wrote:

I have been able to partition my external drive so that one partition acts as a swap, while another acts as an extroot overlay and the third is for my data.

Since you are using ext4, you don't need to create a swap partition to add swap memory. You can use a swap file on your data partition instead. I provide instructions in my previous post.

To verify that the device is using swap memory, you can issue the following command.

root@OpenWrt:~# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         29024        27820         1204           92         2804
-/+ buffers:              25016         4008
Swap:        65532            0        65532

Note that my TM02 has 65Mb of swap available but is currently not using any of it. This is with dropbear, minidlna, nfs and uhttpd running. If the applications you are running are memory hungry, swap will be required. However, using lots of swap will slow down your system.

pkilfeather1 wrote:

My question is, how can I safely shutdown the hootoo/unmount the drive when it is being used as an overlay? The file system is ext4.

You can ssh or telnet into your TM02 and use the halt command. However, since your are using  ext4 and ext4 is a journaling file system, you should be able to remove power without any data corruption. This is one of the advantages of using ext4 versus any of the FAT file systems.

newuser25 wrote:

OpenWRT is fantastic piece of firmware but i have a few problems with it. I have been trying to auto mount various usb stics and hdds (ntfs, ext4, exfat) but with no success. I installed all packages as suggested by Wingspinner except  kmod-app-samba as Luci throws an error. Not sure if that's the reason usb drives are not being detected?

• Did you install kmod-fs-ext4?

• What is the output of lsmod | grep ext4?

• Is your ext4 stick listed in /etc/config/fstab?

vernonjvs wrote:
pkilfeather1 wrote:

I have been able to partition my external drive so that one partition acts as a swap, while another acts as an extroot overlay and the third is for my data.

Since you are using ext4, you don't need to create a swap partition to add swap memory. You can use a swap file on your data partition instead. I provide instructions in my previous post.

To verify that the device is using swap memory, you can issue the following command.

root@OpenWrt:~# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         29024        27820         1204           92         2804
-/+ buffers:              25016         4008
Swap:        65532            0        65532

Note that my TM02 has 65Mb of swap available but is currently not using any of it. This is with dropbear, minidlna, nfs and uhttpd running. If the applications you are running are memory hungry, swap will be required. However, using lots of swap will slow down your system.

pkilfeather1 wrote:

My question is, how can I safely shutdown the hootoo/unmount the drive when it is being used as an overlay? The file system is ext4.

You can ssh or telnet into your TM02 and use the halt command. However, since your are using  ext4 and ext4 is a journaling file system, you should be able to remove power without any data corruption. This is one of the advantages of using ext4 versus any of the FAT file systems.

Wow; thank you for your help - I will be sure to try that when I get home.

The package in question was Transmission. After about 1 minute of downloading, the package would freeze and restart. In retrospect, I did not ever try running it without a swap partition, so could the swap-induced slowdown have led to the package freezing, by any chance?

Such a helpful forum.

pkilfeather1 wrote:

Yes thanks for your help I was able to telnet in, set a password then install everything listed in 10-2015 via opkg. Turns out I think I actually prefer installing through opkg instead of luci - much faster!

I am experimenting with using transmission or perhaps minidlna and would like more space on the hootoo. I have been able to partition my external drive so that one partition acts as a swap, while another acts as an extroot overlay and the third is for my data. My question is, how can I safely shutdown the hootoo/unmount the drive when it is being used as an overlay? The file system is ext4.

Thanks for your help guys

Try "poweroff" or "halt", although they work as reboot..... There's no "shutdown" in OpenWrt.

Before unmount, use "sync" to make sure all cache data is written back.

(Last edited by scy.tulip on 30 Apr 2015, 17:23)

newuser25 wrote:

Hi All,

I currently have 2 x HT-TM2's. One with original firmware and one with openWRT. I wanted to use the original one when travelling. I notice that quite often wifi is weak and available only by  hotel room door or window. This is where I would place HT - TM2 with battery and create my own SSID. I noted that for some reason sensitivity on Hootoo firmware is lower than on OpenWRT - 9 SSIDs vs 15 SSIDs respectively. Is there any mod that could improve reception? I quite like simplicity and reliability of Hootoo firmware and the only thing I would like to improve is router ability to receive weaker signals.

The other day I rebooted my HT-TM02 and found out that not only all settings but also all packages were gone. Since then I updated firmware to latest OpenWRT and all seems to be ok so far. But for argument's sake can I go back to Winspinner's OpenWRT just by flashing the below file in Luci?

Many thanks everyone.

Hi,

I suffered the same "reset" problem when I tried installing some kernel modules.

I found the system would automatically reset itself if something crashed. Check the log message frequently after you installed a new package and avoid it next time if it crashed.

One possible solution is to save a backup after your configuration. So you can restore the settings quickly after the occasional "cleanup". Good luck.

(Last edited by scy.tulip on 30 Apr 2015, 17:37)

In addition, one more benefit of the OpenWrt is

IT SUPPORTS USB HUB!!!!!

HooTooJunkie wrote:

@newuser25
Hi newbie (I'm one too) big_smile
The file openwrt-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-factory-r44945-ws.bin
is only when you convert the original HooToo firmware install into the first OpenWRT install on the TM02.

Wingspinner explained it to me, in the link below, when I wanted to upgrade my OpenWRT installation to the newer one, and didn't realize I needed to use a sysupgrade file to do that.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 26#p270226

The squashfs-factory file is actually called 'factory' because it was able to be used in the original HooToo's 'Firmware Update' option that came with the HooToo.   It made that original firmware think it was flashing another 'Factory' image to the TM02, but actually had the first OpenWRT installation on it, instead.

This is Wingspinner's post on instructions of...
How To put back the original HooToo TM02 Firmware
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 71#p252671

When you first installed OpenWRT into one of your TM02 nano routers,
Wingspinner instructed that a USB flash drive be used.
There was a set of files that were written to it, where the original code from SunValleyTek (HooToo) was placed in a folder (HT_FLASH directory).
That's where the ALL.bin file you need, is located for this purpose.

It's all explained in the instructions on re-installing the original firmware, above.

I've also found the sensitivity, and power-out, using the original HooToo factory firmware is weaker than the OpenWRT, and kept the OpenWRT on two(2) of my three(3) TM02 Nano routers, because it's able to be adjusted (power output) within the OpenWRT settings, and gives more advantages.

The latest OpenWRT build has better stability and more options available, than the original HooToo 'factory' firmware, and opens up more features of the RaLink RT5350F chip.

I may even change the third TM02 to use OpenWRT, once I get all the packages I need to do what I wanted with these routers.

I was able to install the OpenWRT video packages onto it, and have gotten it to 'see' my LogiTech WebCam when connected to the TM02 USB port.

Now I need to find-out how to access this using the iPad 'generic IP Camera' App I found, so I can view the streamed video image with it.

It's all very exciting with OpenWRT installed on it....and it gives more options not available before, using the original firmware.

newuser25 wrote:

Hi All,

Many thanks everyone.

vernonjvs wrote:
newuser25 wrote:

I also had an issue with the samba app for LuCI..!
When I did the package installs (opkg) the first time, ...it found, and loaded the kmod-app-samba, but I had an error saying no memory left, when I tried also installing miniDLNA, and it said there were too many packages on the ROM hmm ...causing me to lose everything I had installed, when I rebooted..!  (Even all the configs for the opkg.conf, and network changes I made)

When I started over again, the second time I tried loading the kmod-app-samba it didn't find it, and 'opkg install kmod-app-samba' returned an error that it's unavailable.

Does this happen some times if OpenWRT is updating the packages?
Or did my ROM memory being full cause it to not see it the second time I installed all the packages?

I had to issue a 'firstboot' command in the serial console, because every time I tried modifying the network config file and rebooted to be able to get online thru my routers Ethernet port again, it would lose the new config I changed, using the 'vi' command. smile

It took me a while to realize I needed to try the 'firstboot' command again, before continuing.

I also wanted to create a miniDLNA server on 1 of the 3 TM02 routers I have, and bridge all of them to my main home router. 
So, one will be a webCam, one will be the DLNA server, and the 3rd, I don't know yet, but it's a spare.  smile

----

Anyway...I want to also report, to everyone here,...
I successfully installed the video drivers and packages, including the MJPG-Streamer and the LuCI control of it...and now have the TM02 locally streaming a 1280x720 30FPS video stream to my iPad2 Generic WebCam App. big_smile ...it's wild..!

I got info on how to initialize the video stream to the iPad App from ...
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/webcam

Where it said to simply enter the URL of ...

http://192.168.1.1:8080/?action=stream

...so I put that into the login section of the webCam iPad App...and to my amazement, it worked to view the video stream.  big_smile

Is there a WebCam server that can create a public IP for this, that will work in OpenWRT, on the TM02?
Or is this part of my main home router (WRT54G v8) firmware that needs to do it?

What I'd like to ultimately do, is have one TM02 act as a webCam server, ...
...and one act as a DLNA server,
all connected to my main home router, thru WiFi, or Ethernet...
...able to be accessed on a public IP address.

I need to try the miniDLNA install again, on the second TM02,
if the kmod-app-samba or LuCI control of it isn't available any longer.

I encountered a similar error with kmod-app-samba when upgrading to the latest trunk image (couldn't find the package from the generic list). I installed luci-app-samba instead and... everything is working for now..

HooTooJunkie wrote:
vernonjvs wrote:
newuser25 wrote:

When I did the package installs (opkg) the first time, ...it found, and loaded the kmod-app-samba, but I had an error saying no memory left, when I tried also installing miniDLNA, and it said there were too many packages on the ROM hmm ...causing me to lose everything I had installed, when I rebooted..!  (Even all the configs for the opkg.conf, and network changes I made)

When I started over again, the second time I tried loading the kmod-app-samba it didn't find it, and 'opkg install kmod-app-samba' returned an error that it's unavailable.

Does this happen some times if OpenWRT is updating the packages?
Or did my ROM memory being full cause it to not see it the second time I installed all the packages?

I had to issue a 'firstboot' command in the serial console, because every time I tried modifying the network config file and rebooted to be able to get online thru my routers Ethernet port again, it would lose the new config I changed, using the 'vi' command. smile

It took me a while to realize I needed to try the 'firstboot' command again, before continuing.

I also wanted to create a miniDLNA server on 1 of the 3 TM02 routers I have, and bridge all of them to my main home router. 
So, one will be a webCam, one will be the DLNA server, and the 3rd, I don't know yet, but it's a spare.  smile

----

Anyway...I want to also report, to everyone here,...
I successfully installed the video drivers and packages, including the MJPG-Streamer and the LuCI control of it...and now have the TM02 locally streaming a 1280x720 30FPS video stream to my iPad2 Generic WebCam App. big_smile ...it's wild..!

I got info on how to initialize the video stream to the iPad App from ...
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/webcam

Where it said to simply enter the URL of ...

http://192.168.1.1:8080/?action=stream

...so I put that into the login section of the webCam iPad App...and to my amazement, it worked to view the video stream.  big_smile

Is there a WebCam server that can create a public IP for this, that will work in OpenWRT, on the TM02?
Or is this part of my main home router (WRT54G v8) firmware that needs to do it?

What I'd like to ultimately do, is have one TM02 act as a webCam server, ...
...and one act as a DLNA server,
all connected to my main home router, thru WiFi, or Ethernet...
...able to be accessed on a public IP address.

I need to try the miniDLNA install again, on the second TM02,
if the kmod-app-samba or LuCI control of it isn't available any longer.

Hi, if you suffer from no sufficient memory, download the .ipk package from the repository, copy it to a usb drive, and install locally by executing "opkg install xxxxx.ipk" There is just no room for files to be unzipped.

BTW, mounting a swap partition may help, and stopping the uhttpd server may help to free the memory.

(Last edited by scy.tulip on 30 Apr 2015, 18:40)

scy.tulip wrote:

IT SUPPORTS USB HUB!!!!!

That's great to know...thanks..!

Is it part of an already installed USB package, like the usb2.0 or USB tools...or extras..etc...?
Or does it need an additional package for hubs?

scy.tulip wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

Hi, if you suffer from no sufficient memory, download the .ipk package from the repository, copy it to a usb drive, and install locally by executing "opkg install xxxxx.ipk" There is just no room for files to be unzipped.

BTW, mounting a swap partition may help, and stopping the uhttpd server may help to free the memory.

Hi, thanks for that info.

Does it still apply if the memory issue was due to the 8 MB SPI flash ROM on the TM02 being FULL?
Or is this also (or only) if the 32MB Static RAM chip is full?

With my reboot issue losing all the info...
It was the 8 MB SPI flash ROM memory that was full, with too many packages being loaded to it.

Next time, I'll try a free command in the serial console, before continuing to load packages. smile

pkilfeather1 wrote:

The package in question was Transmission. After about 1 minute of downloading, the package would freeze and restart. In retrospect, I did not ever try running it without a swap partition, so could the swap-induced slowdown have led to the package freezing, by any chance?

I would think running transmission without swap would just make thinks worse. I don't know anything about transmission on the TM02, but my guess is that transmission is using so much swap memory that it is slowing your TM02 down. When you telnet or ssh into your TM02, try issuing the free command to see how much swap is being used. Once the swap memory usage gets above 11Mb for one program, things can get really slow.

In the end, transmission may be too much of a memory hog to run on the TM02. I noticed that ctorrent and rtorrent seem to be pacakged for OpenWrt.

ctorrent_dnh3.3.2-6_ramips_24kec.ipk
ctorrent-nossl_dnh3.3.2-6_ramips_24kec.ipk
ctorrent-svn-nossl_r322-1_ramips_24kec.ipk
ctorrent-svn_r322-1_ramips_24kec.ipk
rtorrent_0.9.4-git-0-7343e33a6a0d279179b304a380bf011f1c8be64a_ramips_24kec.ipk
rtorrent-rpc_0.9.4-git-0-7343e33a6a0d279179b304a380bf011f1c8be64a_ramips_24kec.ipk

I know nothing about these programs but they may be more memory frugal and more suited to the limited resources of the TM02.

Good Luck!

HooTooJunkie wrote:
scy.tulip wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

Hi, thanks for that info.

Does it still apply if the memory issue was due to the 8 MB SPI flash ROM on the TM02 being FULL?
Or is this also (or only) if the 32MB Static RAM chip is full?

With my reboot issue losing all the info...
It was the 8 MB SPI flash ROM memory that was full, with too many packages being loaded to it.

Next time, I'll try a free command in the serial console, before continuing to load packages. smile

I talked about RAM. If your ROM is full......... try extroot and follow the instructions here

https://grade2linux.wordpress.com/2013/ … b_storage/

Thanks everyone!

To make usb stick work all I needed to do was to reinstall both samba packages smile
I enabled minidlna but service is not running. Also there seems to be a problem when I try to access samba shares - Permission denied- even though guest option is enabled. I reckon I am getting close to giving up...;)

Great thing is I just installed ath9k_htc package, plugged in my  TP-Link TL-WN822N  and it started working straight away! So now can receive very weak WIFI signal using TP-link and create my own local SSID (TM02). Connecting to different access points no longer resets my own SSID and locks me out of TM02. Tried different open public hotspots and hootoo seems rock solid so far.

vernonjvs wrote:
newuser25 wrote:

newuser25 wrote:

Thanks everyone!

To make usb stick work all I needed to do was to reinstall both samba packages smile

Are you saying you were able to install the luci-app-samba, ...plus, were able to also install the kmod-app-samba that didn't install for me the second time, after my crash that caused a reset of all files, and also didn't install for two others on this thread?

If so...I should try it again. big_smile

HooTooJunkie wrote:
scy.tulip wrote:

IT SUPPORTS USB HUB!!!!!

Is it part of an already installed USB package, like the usb2.0 or USB tools...or extras..etc...?

This is a list of USB modules I installed. I don't know which one exactly provide the hub support.

Remove    kmod-usb-core    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-dwc2    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-net    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-ohci    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-serial    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-serial-ftdi    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-storage    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-storage-extras    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb2    3.18.11-1

scy.tulip wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:
scy.tulip wrote:

IT SUPPORTS USB HUB!!!!!

This is a list of USB modules I installed. I don't know which one exactly provide the hub support.

Remove    kmod-usb-core    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-dwc2    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-net    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-ohci    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-serial    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-serial-ftdi    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-storage    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb-storage-extras    3.18.11-1
Remove    kmod-usb2    3.18.11-1

That's great...I have all of them installed already, except the kmod-usb-dwc2
It would be hysterical if that one has the HUB support and I left it out. smile

I google searched it, and I think it's a patch to the kmod-USB-core package.
I don't know, but it's good to have in there anyway...just in case.

scy.tulip wrote:

I talked about RAM. If your ROM is full......... try extroot and follow the instructions here

https://grade2linux.wordpress.com/2013/ … b_storage/

... thanks for this info. smile

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 1 May 2015, 03:58)

Sorry about the confusion. The package kmod-app-samba doesn't seem to exist.
The two samba packages I re - installed:

luci-app-samba
samba36-server

HooTooJunkie wrote:
newuser25 wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Are you saying you were able to install the luci-app-samba, ...plus, were able to also install the kmod-app-samba that didn't install for me the second time, after my crash that caused a reset of all files, and also didn't install for two others on this thread?

If so...I should try it again. big_smile

I don't think that dwc2 is needed for anything on the TM02 hardware.  If you're talking about plugging a 4-port USB2 hub into the router to connect more than one device, that should just work, it does for me.

(Last edited by mk24 on 1 May 2015, 19:07)