OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kingston Mobilelite G2 (MLWG2)

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I can confirm that telnet can be enabled on the MLWG3 by creating a file called 'mlwG3_v;telnetd; .x.x.bin' at the root level of a USB stick or SD card plugged into the device.

daveg wrote:

I can confirm that telnet can be enabled on the MLWG3 by creating a file called 'mlwG3_v;telnetd; .x.x.bin' at the root level of a USB stick or SD card plugged into the device.

Thanks. Can you post your dmesg output here?

I`ve bought a new MLWG3 and gathered some information.
https://github.com/H-LK/MLWG3

(Last edited by HLK on 12 Mar 2016, 11:20)

Hello, I just bought a new MLWG3 myself and I am curious if I can use putty or telnet to write and run my own scripts on it? I would like to insert a script which would run automatically at startup and would copy all the files from the SD card slot mounted memory card into the USB slot mounted portable hard drive. For this I need information about the two slots, so that I could check if there is something in them and to gain rights so that I could run the script automatically, without using 3rd party devices like my phone or PC.

Is this possible with what is already on it, or do I need to wait an OpenWrt release? big_smile

(Last edited by Zolti on 14 Mar 2016, 12:20)

It's probably worth moving this to a new thread.
Hopefully if will be more visible and gain new interest.

Zolti wrote:

Hello, I just bought a new MLWG3 myself and I am curious if I can use putty or telnet to write and run my own scripts on it? I would like to insert a script which would run automatically at startup and would copy all the files from the SD card slot mounted memory card into the USB slot mounted portable hard drive. For this I need information about the two slots, so that I could check if there is something in them and to gain rights so that I could run the script automatically, without using 3rd party devices like my phone or PC.

Is this possible with what is already on it, or do I need to wait an OpenWrt release? big_smile

You could write a shell script and add it to /etc_ro/inittab. USB and SD are mounted under /media. You do not need OpenWRT to do this.

(Last edited by HLK on 14 Mar 2016, 14:37)

HLK wrote:

You could write a shell script and add it to /etc_ro/inittab. USB and SD are mounted under /media. You do not need OpenWRT to do this.

Thank you, I am currently charging it, I will take a look at it when I will get off from work. I also appreciate the paths too, it really helps knowing them too. I subscribed to reader's thread, if you need help for experimenting I am willing to help you. big_smile

Poking around in things I don't understand I found this regarding fail safe on the MT7620.
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 40068.html
It indicates failsafe mode is broken on at least some MT7620 devices.  I believe that no one has got this to work on the MLWG2 and this may be part of the reason.

I've messed up my flash on my G2.  After a sysupgrade my router slowly stopped working.  Right after the flash the router would stay on but be unreachable by ethernet or WIFI.  Assigning addresses to my ethernet (192.168.0.2,192.168.1.2, etc) I would get nothing. 

When I try to power on I get the blue light on (beside the power button) for about 2 seconds and the green power light stays on for about 10 then shuts off.  Other times the blue light does not come on but the power light flashes 23 times and goes off.  I've tried to connect it to my raspberry pi via uart and once in a while I get 2 characters (sometimes an "a" with 2 dots above it, sometimes "yo" with dots above it as well).  Any combination of key presses like hold reset + power or hold power and repeated presses of reset or combinations of those give no luck.  I've checked out the git hub for the Serial Console and stuck the "1" key down on my keyboard while doing all of the above.

Long story short I think the uboot might have been flashed over.  I'm going to try to access the winbond flash chip via SPI tonight.  If I can I am going to need the uboot image.  Was wondering if anyone could help me out or maybe suggest something else I can do to bring this marvel of technology back to life!

I have just bought the device and replaced the firmware with the one given in specific documentation page for this device and it works great. However, I really would like to compile my own firmware with choosing which packages/modules to install. Is there anything specific I should do for this device (like making OpenWrt wifi available for the device) so that my compilcation actually works. I am currently diving into OpenWrt Build Documentation for the first time.

Thanks to ldpinney I was able to recover my flash. 

I am finding that my usb transfer speeds are brutaly slow though.

root@OpenWrt:/mnt/sda1# time dd if=/dev/zero of=test2 bs=512K count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
real    4m 48.21s
user    0m 0.00s
sys    3m 2.08s

Notice the system time as well.  The usb port has a Kingson Data Traveler 100 G3 which is a USB 3.0 flash stick.  In Windows I benchmark 60MB/s read and about 20MB/s write.  Now I'm getting about 100KB/s which is really slow.  I noticed that both the usb EHCI and OHCI are beings loaded to the same IRQ and memory address

[    5.940000] ehci-platform 101c0000.ehci: EHCI Host Controller
[    5.950000] ehci-platform 101c0000.ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    5.970000] ehci-platform 101c0000.ehci: irq 26, io mem 0x101c0000
[    6.000000] ehci-platform 101c0000.ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[    6.010000] usb usb1: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
[    6.010000] hub 1-0:1.0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
[    6.010000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    6.020000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[    6.030000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[    6.040000] ohci-platform: OHCI generic platform driver
[    6.050000] ohci-platform 101c1000.ohci: Generic Platform OHCI controller
[    6.070000] ohci-platform 101c1000.ohci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[    6.080000] ohci-platform 101c1000.ohci: irq 26, io mem 0x101c1000
[    6.150000] usb usb2: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
[    6.150000] hub 2-0:1.0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
[    6.150000] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    6.160000] hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected

I tried removing the OHCI driver using rmmod but no change.  Also the really high CPU usage isn't helping matters much.  Anyone have any ideas what I can do to improve this?

It was the file system.  I was using a USB key that I was using a while ago as a Ubunutu installer.  Since I had installed the kmod-fs-isofs module it picked up the first partition.  As Ext4 it flies now, doing:

root@OpenWrt:/mnt/sda1# time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=512K count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
real    0m 36.55s
user    0m 0.00s
sys    0m 1.55s

For anyone who tries to compile the firmware for this device, everything goes pretty smooth with default configuration files in Chaos Calmer (just choose 7620 based board in configuration and make defconfig). I was able to install it without even opening the device thanks to the methods described in the device page, then i followed typical upgrade procedure to my own built firmware.

Long time no talk to...

I would like to add a secondary power option, does anyone know where I can solder 5v direct to on the board. If not I will go poking with my meter.
tyia!

I have installed mini-DLNA and using it with an old Sandisk Ultra II sd card.  Having some issues with 720 video glitching.  I tested the MLGW2 with this card for speed and get the following:

Lan Speed Test (Mb/s)    write    read
LAN (wireless)            4.86    43.20
LAN (Wired)                8.08    87.767
USB                              31.2    87.22   

It appears one needs to pretty much buy a speed class 10, UHS Class 1 device to get a 64GB card, which as I understand it comes with exFAT. 

Looking for recommendations on make\model and FS from other users?  Any thoughts on the micro and reader vs a standard card?  Seems micros are most prevalent.

I purchased a PNY 64GB turbo card.  The card came formatted as exFAT, but even with the kmod-fs-exfat installed I had issues with the device. 

In summary, the device can be mounted via CLI, but was not discovered in Luci's mount points and thus could not be configured in Samba.  My goal was to use this for file sharing in Windows and DLNA over multiple devices.  It was not tested under Linux.  Ultimately I reformatted the device to vFat, and all is good.

See here for more info:  https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 82#p329182

Has anyone been able to get an exFAT device recognized using the Luci tools?

The cards write performance is definitely better than my older card.

New PNY 64GB Turbo SDXC
Lan Speed Test (Mb/s)    write    read
LAN (wireless)            10.558    43.876
LAN (Wired)                59.024    91.827
USB                            78.129     160.866

I also notice that when the device is used as a USB device (hub I think) that it shows in Windows Explorer, but does not show in the "Safely Remove Hardware" tray items list.  I can still eject it from Explorer's folder window.

Thanks for the thought, but I plan to stick with the easy to manage VFAT file system.  The only downside is the 2gb limit which means I need to transcode my larger video files.  Just as well as I can take more with me and really can not see the difference on my laptop.

Has anyone had issues getting an IP and end up with 169.254.xxx.xxx on Windows clients?

Has anyone nailed the battery status yet outside of the 1/0 state? I'd love to get some higher resolution on this. Really love this box...got it working with my iPhone tether over USB and OpenVPN smile

ScriptGiddy wrote:

Has anyone nailed the battery status yet outside of the 1/0 state? I'd love to get some higher resolution on this. Really love this box...got it working with my iPhone tether over USB and OpenVPN smile

Currently not.
The i2c approach was a dead end.
Also my fault not reading DTS carefully, these pins are connected elsewhere (buttons ??)

FWIW:
I don't know if the original firmware can handle percentage levels.

RangerZ wrote:

Has anyone had issues getting an IP and end up with 169.254.xxx.xxx on Windows clients?

This is some zeroconf ip address, so DHCP is not running

The device comes configured with only a LAN, and I only added a WWAN.  There was some IPV6 related lines in the config which I removed and this seems to have fixed the issue.  It's only been a couple of days, but not one failure.

Remove content from etc/config/network
    option ip6assign '60'
    option macaddr 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'

Remove content from etc/config/dhcp
    option dhcpv6 'server'
    option ra 'server'
    option ra_management '1'

I did not change the firewall

@Elektroman - bummer - but thanks for the quick response!