OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

anielarias wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Question:

Is everyone liking Darkmatter LuCi?

Seems there have been some downloads of modern which seem to indicate users changing?

i personally dont like Darkmatter, i get lost navigating around but that just me, btw davidc502 do you know by any chance how to prioritize ports withing sqm qos ?

Thank you for the feedback.

There's probably some sqm/qos experts on the LEDE board if you'd like to pose the question there.  https://forum.lede-project.org/c/general

Reboot issue is still affecting 1900ac V1 hardware on kernel 4.4.9. 

1900acV1 owners should still continue to use the 4.4 build until the problem is resolved.  https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/sn … u/generic/

Thanks,

(Last edited by davidc502 on 5 May 2017, 23:05)

davidc502 wrote:

Reboot issue is still affecting the V1 hardware on kernel 4.4.9. 

1900acV1 owners should still continue to use the 4.4 build until the problem is resolved.  https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/sn … u/generic/

Thanks,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have 4.4.9 Installed because reboot issue. But this time is related to samba. I was asking how to make samba run faster on my mamba. I have connected USB 3.0 HDD ext4 formated and it only gives me 10 Mbps for reading, and for writing it gives me only 5 Mbps and if I want to copy a 2 GB file it becomes imposible because the router reboots by itself. If i try again, it reboots again and so on.

suncharcool wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Reboot issue is still affecting the V1 hardware on kernel 4.4.9. 

Thanks,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have 4.4.9 Installed because reboot issue. But this time is related to samba. I was asking how to make samba run faster on my mamba. I have connected USB 3.0 HDD ext4 formated and it only gives me 10 Mbps for reading, and for writing it gives me only 5 Mbps and if I want to copy a 2 GB file it becomes imposible because the router reboots by itself. If i try again, it reboots again and so on.

I read last week someone else had a very similar issue, but a little bit faster speeds. I recommended NTFS because I had read somewhere of better performance, but in this particular case the user got worse performance... go figure.  A few of my own tests showed that trying to transfer a file larger than 1 GB using ext4 would just fail every time. However, formatting NTFS allowed 1 GB and even larger files to at least transfer, and the speeds in my case were the same; around 100mbps. Not stellar speed, but at least would go through.

Currently running  a couple of USB 2.0 speed tests. Will report back the findings

2 tests with a 1GB video file using the USB 2.0 port with a USB 2.0 drive.

1. NTFS formatted USB
2. ext4 formatted USB

Upload Transfer -- From a PC with SSD connected via 1Gbps ethernet. 
With NTFS it was very stable, and stayed at a constant 12.5MB/s which is 100mbps.
With ext4 it was very unstable as speeds rose and dropped through the transfer, but over-all it averaged right around 12.5MB/s.

Here's the issue---- Both NTFS and ext4 transfers were very CPU intensive. During both file transfers LOAD was well above 2.0. So, I imagine the top speed to be limited to the V1's processor.

**EDIT**

Why is SMB eating so much processor?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 6 May 2017, 01:27)

starcms
Edit2: And at least when using 'cisco' (OpenDNS's servers) as the resolver, all IPv4 and IPv6 DNS traffic is working perfectly.  No extra config required for IPv6.

Fri May  5 23:48:02 2017 user.info : dnscrypt-proxy - [cisco] does not support DNS Security Extensions
Fri May  5 23:48:02 2017 user.warn : dnscrypt-proxy - [cisco] logs your activity - a different provider might be better a choice if privacy is a concern
F

Thanks for the info. Dnscrypt is working now. I switched to a different provider.

@suncharcool

Add these 3 line to /etc/samba/smb.conf.template and then restart samba. 

aio read size = 16384
        aio write size = 16384
        aio write behind = true
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65535 SO_SNDBUF=65535

This help to stabilize the write transfers, and bumped up speed a little.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 6 May 2017, 01:42)

davidc502 wrote:

I looked through the 3 commits and no, the buffer issue has not been addressed yet.

So, far it's just small incremental changes.

Thanks for the info. Think I will just wait until they address the buffer issue as I am pretty sure that is what is causing my wireless issues. Everything fine until 2 streaming sessions, one on 2.4 other on 5GHz. Then not long after wireless issues and worse. Cannot access router web UI and lose DNS resolution both wireless and wired, and things seem to get worse if possible.

Just keep going with the OEM for now. wink

(Last edited by bill1228 on 6 May 2017, 02:31)

davidc502 wrote:

@suncharcool

Add these 3 line to /etc/samba/smb.conf.template and then restart samba. 

aio read size = 16384
        aio write size = 16384
        aio write behind = true
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65535 SO_SNDBUF=65535

This help to stabilize the write transfers, and bumped up speed a little.

I'm also recommend to add this -

max protocol = SMB2
smb encrypt = disabled

to lower CPU usage - most of CPU load is encryption/decryption of the SMB stream.

Also, seems like eSATA are less CPU-expensive in compare to USB, and disk-to-board transfer speed is higher (limited by HDD, in fact).

I don't mention performance difference between ext4 and ntfs, but you are right about they have different patterns - seems like NTFS faster on seek, but EXT4 faster on data send.
Another thing i mention - it's depends HOW to copy. Windows explorer is a faster way, using other file managers slower (f.e. i have 30MBps read in Explorer, but only 15-20 in Far Manager using the same 5G wifi link).

I use my 1900v1 as a home NAS/Media server, CPU is not a limit for this.

suncharcool wrote:

Please, give me some advice about how to make samba run faster on my mamba. I have connected USB 3.0 HDD ext4 formated and it only gives me 10 Mbps for reading, and for writing it gives me only 5 Mbps and if I want to copy a 2 GB file it becomes imposible because the router reboots by itself. If i try again, it reboots again and so on.

Ok, i see it's a popular topic.
Here is my full Samba template:

[global]
    netbios name = |NAME| 
    display charset = |CHARSET|
    interfaces = |INTERFACES|
    server string = |DESCRIPTION|
    unix charset = |CHARSET|
    workgroup = |WORKGROUP|
    browseable = yes
    deadtime = 30
    domain master = yes
    encrypt passwords = true
    enable core files = no
    guest account = nobody
    guest ok = yes
    invalid users = root
    local master = yes
    load printers = no
    map to guest = Bad User
    max protocol = SMB2
    min receivefile size = 16384
    null passwords = yes
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    os level = 20
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    preferred master = yes
    printable = no
    security = user
    smb encrypt = disabled
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072
    syslog = 2
    use sendfile = yes
    writeable = yes

read raw = Yes
        write raw = Yes

aio read size = 16384
        aio write size = 16384

getwd cache = yes
        oplocks = yes
        max xmit = 131072
        dead time = 15
        large readwrite = yes

It works with USB3 as well, but i prefer eSATA instead.

On Windows machine, it's also reasonable to enable "SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support" in "Control panel-Programs and Features-Turn Windows features on or off".

davidc502 wrote:
anielarias wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Question:

Seems there have been some downloads of modern which seem to indicate users changing?

i personally dont like Darkmatter, i get lost navigating around but that just me, btw davidc502 do you know by any chance how to prioritize ports withing sqm qos ?

Thank you for the feedback.

There's probably some sqm/qos experts on the LEDE board if you'd like to pose the question there.  https://forum.lede-project.org/c/general

@david, I'm not going to vote for DarkMatter since I'm the one that first suggested it to you smile

But you could include material, along with darkmatter (and bootstrap) in future builds, for more choices for everyone.

beginner67890 wrote:

starcms
Edit2: And at least when using 'cisco' (OpenDNS's servers) as the resolver, all IPv4 and IPv6 DNS traffic is working perfectly.  No extra config required for IPv6.

Fri May  5 23:48:02 2017 user.info : dnscrypt-proxy - [cisco] does not support DNS Security Extensions
Fri May  5 23:48:02 2017 user.warn : dnscrypt-proxy - [cisco] logs your activity - a different provider might be better a choice if privacy is a concern
F

Thanks for the info. Dnscrypt is working now. I switched to a different provider.

There are lots of resolvers to choose from.  I like cisco because the ping is so great.  It also fully supports IPv6.

The advantage for others are a) some don't anonymously log activity at all, b) some support DNSSEC (dns security extensions) which is another layer of security, and c) some support namecoin resolution.

You can find a list of all possible resolvers and what features each supports here (there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the page)

https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-pr … olvers.csv

To determine your ping if you change resolvers, edit the dnscrypt-proxy config file to change resolvers, restart dnscrypt-proxy, go here https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ and run either test to get the actual IP of the DNS server (because some resolvers like 'cisco' use many different IPs depending on which is closest to you; these are marked as location "Anycast" in the .csv file of all possible resolvers), and ping it to determine if it has a suitable enough ping for you.  I personally am not happy with a ping to DNS being greater than 30ms, and currently mine is 21ms.

(Last edited by starcms on 6 May 2017, 05:21)

suncharcool wrote:

... But this time is related to samba...

Just to add my Samba experience to others.

WRT1200ACv2 - Lede leviathan VI r3716-cd0f990

Samba share - 500GB Seagate Barracuda, HFS+ (MacOS), eSATA & USB3 interfaces.

I use it for miniDLNA videos, eSATA connected.

Default Samba config, no special config rules added.

via LAN port:

Write speed: 56-57 MB/s

Read speed: 67-69 MB/s

I had hoped for more, but still 60-70% of theoretical max. for 1000BT.

I did test it USB3 connected, and got essentially identical speeds.

It MAY be worth mentioning: USB3 generates significant RF interference, which MIGHT (don't now for sure) have an effect on share speeds.  It certainly CAN interfere with 2.4GHz radio signals.

Must use good quality fully shielded USB3 cable, and fully shielded disk enclosure (or place disk enclosure as far away from router as possible).

Do a web search for "USB3 RF interference" - hundreds of pages worth.

FWIW: while researching what router to buy, all the online reviews I found reported the 1200AC had BETTER storage R/W speeds than the 1900AC.

seanc wrote:
suncharcool wrote:

FWIW: while researching what router to buy, all the online reviews I found reported the 1200AC had BETTER storage R/W speeds than the 1900AC.

Makes sense.  All models have faster processors than the 1900AC V1.  1200AC (V1 and V2) have same processor as 1900AC V2.

(Last edited by starcms on 6 May 2017, 17:52)

anielarias wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Question:

I'm not an expert at all, but the general idea of the SQM QOS stuff is that if you structure and manage the QOS queues properly, then port prioritization shouldn't be required.  Bursty, latency dependent traffic gets priority exactly because it is bursty, while long running high bandwidth sessions are de-prioritized but fairly arbitrated amongst. 

That said, I believe qdisc stack, so you could probably insert a classic port based qdisc at the bottom of the stack and you'd probably get the desired result.

starcms wrote:
seanc wrote:
suncharcool wrote:

Makes sense.  All models have faster processors than the 1900AC V1.  1200AC (V1 and V2) have same processor as 1900AC V2.

WRT1900ACv2 has a dual core 1.6

mojolacerator wrote:
starcms wrote:
seanc wrote:

That's actually a mistake on the openwrt wiki page.

The 1900ACv1 has a 1.2ghz SoC, but a much slower model than the rest of the models, a dual-core Marvell XP MV78230.  The V1 also has half the ram and a different, older model switch compared to the rest of the series, plus that annoying fan.

All other models have the much better dual-core Marvell Armada 385 88F6820. 

The 1900ACv2 and 1200AC (V1 and V2) are clocked at 1.33ghz. (The wiki is incorrect listing the 1900ACv2 as 1.6ghz)

The 1900ACS (V1 and V2) is clocked at 1.6ghz.

The 3200ACM is clocked at 1.8ghz (and has the newest model switch and different WiFi radios).

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900AC_v2 and https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900ACS have the correct info

Edit: Linksys also displays the info here http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-artic … Num=143610

The Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is physically identical to the WRT1900AC v1 except for the following:
The Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is powered by a Dual-Core 1.3 GHz CPU
Uses a 12V 3A power adapter

(Last edited by starcms on 6 May 2017, 20:44)

starcms wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:
starcms wrote:

That's actually a mistake on the wiki page.

The 1900ACv1 has a 1.2ghz SoC, but a much slower model than the rest of the models, a dual-core Marvell XP MV78230.

The 1900ACv2 and 1200AC (V1 and V2) are clocked at 1.33ghz. (The wiki is incorrect listing the 1900ACv2 as 1.6ghz)

The 3200ACM is clocked at 1.867ghz.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900AC_v2 and https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900ACS have the correct info

I am not going by the wiki, i am going by my router.

The v2 is 1.6, that's it. I am not going to bother responding about this again, you are incorrect.

System
Router NameDD-WRT
Router ModelLinksys WRT1900ACv2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.18.51 #131 SMP Sun Apr 30 20:34:24 CEST 2017 armv7l
MAC AddressC0:56:27:73:
Hostname
WAN Domain Name
LAN Domain Name
Current TimeSat, 06 May 2017 15:13:46
Uptime2 days, 18:24

CPU
CPU ModelMarvel Armada 385
CPU Cores2
CPU Clock1600 MHz

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 6 May 2017, 20:23)

mojolacerator wrote:
starcms wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

That's actually a mistake on the wiki page.

The 1900ACv1 has a 1.2ghz SoC, but a much slower model than the rest of the models, a dual-core Marvell XP MV78230.

The 3200ACM is clocked at 1.80ghz.

I am not going by the wiki, i am going by my router.

The v2 is 1.6, that's it. I am not going to bother responding about this again, you are incorrect.

So Linksys is incorrect also?

http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-artic … Num=143610

The Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is physically identical to the WRT1900AC v1 except for the following:
The Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is powered by a Dual-Core 1.3 GHz CPU
Uses a 12V 3A power adapter

mojolacerator wrote:

System
Router NameDD-WRT
Router ModelLinksys WRT1900ACv2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.18.51 #131 SMP Sun Apr 30 20:34:24 CEST 2017 armv7l
MAC AddressC0:56:27:73:55:D8
Hostname
WAN Domain Name
LAN Domain Name
Current TimeSat, 06 May 2017 15:13:46
Uptime2 days, 18:24

CPU
CPU ModelMarvel Armada 385
CPU Cores2
CPU Clock1600 MHz

That's simply what DD-WRT has been <incorrectly> programmed in firmware to say,  It could be programmed to say 5000MHz.

hi, David

I am first install your firmware in my WRT3200.

How can I config the setting that i can access the web GUI page from the internet, such as, using my phone to login my router?

Please reply. thanks

jack19hk wrote:

hi, David

I am first install your firmware in my WRT3200.

How can I config the setting that i can access the web GUI page from the internet, such as, using my phone to login my router?

Please reply. thanks

Simply browse to 192.168.1.1 in your browser.  You'll probably have to connect a computer via ethernet to turn on the WiFi and set security first.