OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus WL600g

The content of this topic has been archived between 19 Sep 2015 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

oscyp wrote:

Any info how to use wget and ctorrent? Should I log into router using putty or something? Putty says that router is suddenly breaking the connection...

Backup your router settings in your router web administration "Management>Settings>Backup"

Open your settings file "backupsettings.conf" with an editor like "Crimson Editor"

In about line 18 you will find this sentence

<SecCfg>
<srvCtrlList ftp="disable" http="lan" icmp="lan" snmp="disable" ssh="disable" telnet="lan" tftp="disable"/>
</SecCfg>

Change your telnet="disable" to telnet="lan" and then save the file.

Then go to your router web administration "Management>Settings>Update" and upload your new file.

Once the router start's, telnet to your router from the command line "telnet 192.168.1.1", by default username: admin, password: admin

When you're in main menu just write "sh" and then press Enter key

Then set your path manually with this "PATH=$PATH:/var/harddisk/asus/wget/bin"

At this point you can use wget anywhere

Use ctorrent like this

go to "/var/harddisk/asus/ctorrent/bin"

wget your torrent like this "wget url_of_the_torrent/torrent_name.torrent"

then start downloading your torrent like this "./ctorrent -e 12 -C 8 -p 6881 torrent_name.torrent"

Once it starts downloading you can leave it as a daemon pressing "Esc" key and then "10"

Enjoy this awesome router

(Last edited by fullbanner on 19 Jul 2008, 18:52)

Hello

fullbanner - Could you check your PM box?
It is possible to add eDonkey client to Asus 600g?

Many thanks! I hope I get the time to test it later this week.

fullbanner wrote:
eldar wrote:

Hi fullbanner, 
is there a howto somewhere that describes how can you compile programs that run from the usb drive?
I would like to try and compile some downloading programs, e.g., wget, and maybe also a torrent client.

Also, could you please post the source or diff of the changes you made to the original firmware?

THanks a lot in advance.

I have just compiled 'wget' for asus WL-600g

Works pretty well.

You can get it here: http://www.rn-design.net/wget-wl600g.zip

place 'wget' folder into 'asus' folder in your usb disk

I have also compiled a bittorrent client 'ctorrent'

get it here: http://www.rn-design.net/ctorrent-wl600g.zip

again place 'ctorrent' folder into 'asus' folder in your usb disk

It is so simple to compile programs for this machine

Enjoy

Hello fullbanner!

CTorrent hang on during tests (30 mb torrent -ok, 700 mb torrents-router not responsible)

Questions:
0) How can I back to Ctorrent session after switch to background?
1) could add to Asus html menu - info about router startup time?
2) static dhcp ip address assign? (based on MAC address)
3) how to change Asus default port address html menu? (from 80 to for example 61000)?

thank you for you job

(Last edited by rafto on 21 Jul 2008, 15:20)

fullbanner wrote:

For those that need Annex B here it is

http://www.rn-design.net/AsusWL600g-B-Samba.zip

oscyp if you share your usb drive in another machine in the network i think you will get
perfomance issues as well.

Anyway i'm upgrading samba to the latest version to see if there are perfomance improvements.

I will let you know what's the conclusion.

Hello fullbanner,
I installed this FW and it works fine but unfortunately not with my disk. The limitation on FAT volumes is there and my big NTFS disk does not show up. How difficult would it be to compile NTFS driver into kernel? I also read that samba transfers are slow and unreliable. Any new findings in this respect?

Thanks for your investigation and work you have done!

rafto wrote:

Hello fullbanner!

CTorrent hang on during tests (30 mb torrent -ok, 700 mb torrents-router not responsible)

Questions:
0) How can I back to Ctorrent session after switch to background?
1) could add to Asus html menu - info about router startup time?
2) static dhcp ip address assign? (based on MAC address)
3) how to change Asus default port address html menu? (from 80 to for example 61000)?

thank you for you job

Try decreasing your cache to about 8Mb or less
or kill some unused programs with the command killall.

Check that your usb drive is fat32 formated and that you have
enought space for the torrent.

There is no "recovery" from daemon mode in ctorrent.

For the router startup time there should be no problem, just need
to enable that option in the kernel before compilation.

About dhcp static assign, i have checked dhcpd source and there is
an option called 'static_lease mac ip' but i have tested and is not working.
Will patch udhcpd and see if it works.

HTML port must be assigned to the source code, i can compile with a diferent port
for you.

About ctorrent CTCS i am having some problems crosscompiling perl for this
machine. I have tested redirecting ctorrent for a ctcs with cygwin running on
windows and it works fine.

Will try to crosscompile miniperl with buildroot and test if it works

(Last edited by fullbanner on 21 Jul 2008, 22:38)

fullbanner wrote:

HTML port must be assigned to the source code, i can compile with a diferent port
for you.

Thank you very much for help!
1) My usb drive is currently USB flash 1 gb with fat 32, and I used 8 MB cache switch...
What you mean with 'kill some unused programs ' ?? can you show some examples (command line scripts)?
2) there are some possibilities to write cmdshell automating scripts like CMD files in windows?
3) if there is no recovery from ctorrent daemon mode - can you describe in detail - how to properly start long
torrent downloading session from terminal , then disconnect fom router  and then come back to this session to see current status?
4) startup time - will be perfectly if this info will be diplayed from html asus menu (not command line)
5) dhcp static - this will be very usefull option, but if this require add some html code to asus menu?
6) html menu port address-wow.. I doesn't know that this option will require change source code..on others routers there is html menu option to change menu port address easily.....so I thank you again
I wrote this ask about port change becouse I have 'local web server hardware camera with static port 80' and when i configure virtual server option to map external port 80 to internal port 80 there is WARNING message that asus menu is in confict with these settings..
7) in saved config asus xml file-there are options to enable/disabled some daemons like telnet,shh etc..could you add
these options to asus menu -> section Management-Access Control? (optional low priority task : ) )
8) ctcs - you knowledge is awesome - I am sure you will do that smile
9) all these settings will be'saveable' with standard Backup/Update asus menu option? (other low priority thing-is to change menu name option from 'Management -- Settings -- Update'  to 'Management -- Settings -- Restore'..to differentiate with 'Management -- Update Software' smile )

RafTo

(Last edited by rafto on 22 Jul 2008, 09:55)

I am building an user-friendly application to operate the router and to automate typing commands via telnet, however I have no "layout and functionality sense" so any suggestions will be appreciated smile In this moment the application looks like this:

http://www.oscyp.x.pl/myapp.jpg

I want to add simlply buttons like "Load torrent", "Check Status" etc and if You click them, there will be some telnet commands flying in the background, what do you think of it?

Many thanks for fullbaner for help and motivation smile

(Last edited by oscyp on 22 Jul 2008, 10:11)

Nice smile I can use this "other" software in my application as an additional functionality :]

oscyp wrote:

I am building an user-friendly application to operate the router and to automate typing commands via telnet, however I have no "layout and functionality sense" so any suggestions will be appreciated smile In this moment the application looks like this:

http://www.oscyp.x.pl/myapp.jpg

I want to add simlply buttons like "Load torrent", "Check Status" etc and if You click them, there will be some telnet commands flying in the background, what do you think of it?

Many thanks for fullbaner for help and motivation smile

I see you use visual studio 2005 for programming too, its a great environment.

It is always great having tools to automate the things but i think it will
be a long way to get things working like ctcs does.

I have managed to run perl on this machine, so ctcs is almost running on it.

Webcamera support was disabled and i have enabled in the previous firmware but webcam
drivers where disabled. My new firmware will have all of them enabled.

I really love "yodctcs" referred by rafto, so i will include in the next firmware.

I have added "/var/harddisk/asus/bin" to the default PATH environment so we can place some
shortcuts to aplications we use like "wget".

I would prefer to use a browser to check my torrents progress instead of an application but if you have
time and effort it's a nice addition.

Please keep up the good work.

Small rectification: I am using Visual Studio 2008 smile and I am really enjoying it for now so probably I will countinue to work on it. If You don't mind please share new firmware You have made. Btw, I think that this white magic box will be much more amazing in a month or two than "all-having" WL-500x (besides ADSL modem).

rafto wrote:
fullbanner wrote:

for you.

Thank you very much for help!
1) My usb drive is currently USB flash 1 gb with fat 32, and I used 8 MB cache switch...
What you mean with 'kill some unused programs ' ?? can you show some examples (command line scripts)?
2) there are some possibilities to write cmdshell automating scripts like CMD files in windows?
3) if there is no recovery from ctorrent daemon mode - can you describe in detail - how to properly start long
torrent downloading session from terminal , then disconnect fom router  and then come back to this session to see current status?
4) startup time - will be perfectly if this info will be diplayed from html asus menu (not command line)
5) dhcp static - this will be very usefull option, but if this require add some html code to asus menu?
6) html menu port address-wow.. I doesn't know that this option will require change source code..on others routers there is html menu option to change menu port address easily.....so I thank you again
I wrote this ask about port change becouse I have 'local web server hardware camera with static port 80' and when i configure virtual server option to map external port 80 to internal port 80 there is WARNING message that asus menu is in confict with these settings..
7) in saved config asus xml file-there are options to enable/disabled some daemons like telnet,shh etc..could you add
these options to asus menu -> section Management-Access Control? (optional low priority task : ) )
8) ctcs - you knowledge is awesome - I am sure you will do that smile
9) all these settings will be'saveable' with standard Backup/Update asus menu option? (other low priority thing-is to change menu name option from 'Management -- Settings -- Update'  to 'Management -- Settings -- Restore'..to differentiate with 'Management -- Update Software' smile )

RafTo

Please use the command "ps" to check your running programs.
You can for example kill samba with the command "killall nmbd" and "killall smbd" or the httpd that makes you access
your router from the web "killall httpd" or "killall cfm"

there are some possibilities to write cmdshell automating scripts like CMD files in windows?
oscyp is building a nice automating application.

if there is no recovery from ctorrent daemon mode - can you describe in detail - how to properly start long

Right now you can't, only with ctcs. Is almost working in this machine.

9) all these settings will be'saveable' with standard Backup/Update asus menu option?

All of this options cannot be changed because the source of cfm is not complete. Asus have made available cfm as a binary application.
I can enable and disable things that already exist but not create new ones, sorry.

other low priority thing-is to change menu name option from 'Management -- Settings -- Update'  to 'Management -- Settings -- Restore'..to differentiate with 'Management -- Update Software' smile )
Will do that.

fullbanner wrote:

for you.

Hi fullbanner

Can you complile quoted firmware for me? For example with html port menu 61000?
I do not use Samba - if I don't include on flash card samba folder-there will be optimized version for me?(without samba daemon started?)

(Last edited by rafto on 28 Jul 2008, 14:26)

rafto wrote:
fullbanner wrote:

for you.

Hi fullbanner

Can you complile quoted firmware for me? For example with html port menu 61000?
I do not use Samba - if I don't include on flash card samba folder-there will be optimized version for me?(without samba daemon started?)

Today i will try to release a new firmware version with "yodctcs" included. If you don't include the file "/var/harddisk/asus/samba/lib/samba" router start's
normally without samba.
I will compile a version with html port 61000 for you.

New firmware version will also include ext3 support for everyone's huge harddisk needs.

(Last edited by fullbanner on 28 Jul 2008, 20:22)

Hi fullbanner

I have technical question:
-how to stop printing daemon and then start (restart) without restarting Asus 600g?
I have big problem with my printer-the printing is working ONLY when I switch on Asus 600g with printer ON, if printer was switch off (or switch off then on-> after Asus started) then I am unable to print ..so I am looking for easy way to restart print services on Asus without restart whole device...

rafto wrote:

Hi fullbanner

I have technical question:
-how to stop printing daemon and then start (restart) without restarting Asus 600g?
I have big problem with my printer-the printing is working ONLY when I switch on Asus 600g with printer ON, if printer was switch off (or switch off then on-> after Asus started) then I am unable to print ..so I am looking for easy way to restart print services on Asus without restart whole device...

Do this

# killall lpd

# rm /var/run/lpdparent.pid

# lpd &

Enjoy

fullbanner wrote:

Hi fullbanner

# killall lpd

# lpd &

Enjoy

Thank you.. I trayed 'killall lpd' i 'kill -9 <process_number>' but sometimes I connot do anything see following lines:

after router start:
694 admin       224 S   lpd

after printer on:

after click on button REMOVE PRINTER JOB
  694 admin           Z   [lpd]

Status for lpd is Z -> zombie?

Do you have similar status? Maybe you know correct using of printer with Asus 600g?
Upper or lower physical usb port is important when using flash disk + printer?
More info->my printer have sd card reader which is detected always by windows, so maybe this sd card reader is my problem when using with Asus 600g (sd card reader slot is always empty)

rafto wrote:
fullbanner wrote:

Hi fullbanner

# killall lpd

# lpd &

Enjoy

Thank you.. I trayed 'killall lpd' i 'kill -9 <process_number>' but sometimes I connot do anything see following lines:

after router start:

after printer on:

after click on button REMOVE PRINTER JOB
  694 admin           Z   [lpd]

Status for lpd is Z -> zombie?

Do you have similar status? Maybe you know correct using of printer with Asus 600g?
Upper or lower physical usb port is important when using flash disk + printer?
More info->my printer have sd card reader which is detected always by windows, so maybe this sd card reader is my problem when using with Asus 600g (sd card reader slot is always empty)

My printer once i connect to the router even if is already on, work's like a charm.

If you connect in the upper or in the lower port is not important.

lpd is started with inetd
Your only chance is put that instance on "zombie"
remove de pid of the "zombie" instance and start
another instance like i told you in the last post.

This last instance you can kill without keeping in a "zombie" state

(Last edited by fullbanner on 30 Jul 2008, 20:29)

fullbanner wrote:

lpd is started with inetd
Your only chance is put that instance on "zombie"
remove de pid of the "zombie" instance and start
another instance like i told you in the last post.

This last instance you can kill without keeping in a "zombie" state

Thank you for answer.
What you mean by: "Your only chance is put that instance on "zombie"
remove de pid of the "zombie" instance .."
So AFTER pressing button I have "zombie" lpd process THEN I should kill this zombie process and start new one lpd-that is correct?
BUT my problem is that..I CANNOT kill zombie process with KILL or KILLALL sad
Can you write again line by line what should I write after entering zombie mode for lpd?

As you can see in my previous posts the "zombie" state is enetered after click "REMOVE PRINTER JOB"
Question is:
It is possible to change functionality of this button to just remove printer jobs -without change to "zombie" state?

did you see any not killed zombie here ?
zombie means that the process is dead already, but still have some of the system resources attached that cant be freed.

can anyone tell me what's new in the 1.0.3.3 firmware (in diff with 1.0.2.8) ?

was the kernel changed ?

Anyway, good job fullbanner, but i still think this shitty broadcom's chipsets does not deserve attention.
They should liberate their drivers or stop selling their "closed hardware"

(Last edited by metyl on 31 Jul 2008, 21:06)

Hello, fullbanner!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the work u've done. Really, it's impressive that the fact of something useful being found after so many attempts and searches.
   Also I have some questions and would appreaciate if you gave answers.

I've just installed your firware and have this new menus to setup samba and to watch video from the webcam.
        1). Does the samba menu have to be empty?
        2). There are some difficulties with using my external hard drive with samba: I map it like a network drive and the the connection gets lost quite often. Ihaven't experiences that with Daniel's samba compillation. Do you have any ideas about it?
        3). I can't name files and folder in Russian and that irritates me very much. What sort of corrections to the samba have to be made to fix the issue? Maybe 3.2 support Russian?
        4). I had access to the root of the HD and also to the filesystem of the router with the previous samba I used to use. Can I have the same here?
        5). Samba says that the FS is NTFS while it's FAT32. Is that OK?
        6). How to stop samba runnng when I don't need it?
    I hope I didn't bother you with this number of questions wink.
    Thanx in advance!

Added later: Just tried to download some stuff from torrent in terms of testing. Discovered, that it works OK with files which size is <=1 MB, but when I start to download larger files the box began to stuck. Dunno what to do, makes me sad... sad

(Last edited by TauruS on 1 Aug 2008, 23:22)

TauruS wrote:

Hello, fullbanner!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the work u've done. Really, it's impressive that the fact of something useful being found after so many attempts and searches.
   Also I have some questions and would appreaciate if you gave answers.

I've just installed your firware and have this new menus to setup samba and to watch video from the webcam.
        1). Does the samba menu have to be empty?
        2). There are some difficulties with using my external hard drive with samba: I map it like a network drive and the the connection gets lost quite often. Ihaven't experiences that with Daniel's samba compillation. Do you have any ideas about it?
        3). I can't name files and folder in Russian and that irritates me very much. What sort of corrections to the samba have to be made to fix the issue? Maybe 3.2 support Russian?
        4). I had access to the root of the HD and also to the filesystem of the router with the previous samba I used to use. Can I have the same here?
        5). Samba says that the FS is NTFS while it's FAT32. Is that OK?
        6). How to stop samba runnng when I don't need it?
    I hope I didn't bother you with this number of questions ;).
    Thanx in advance!

Added later: Just tried to download some stuff from torrent in terms of testing. Discovered, that it works OK with files which size is <=1 MB, but when I start to download larger files the box began to stuck. Dunno what to do, makes me sad... :(

Hello

Samba menu is empty because in that stage of the firmware i haven't included a way to edit the configuration file via web. It's already working.

About the dificulties you have mapping please try changing you configuration to something like this:

[global]
       workgroup = MSHOME
       netbios name = router
       usershare allow guests = Yes
       security = share

# All the shares from here
[conf]
    comment = Pasta de configs
    path = /var/harddisk/asus/samba/lib
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
[log]
    comment = Pasta de logs
    path = /var/log/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
[%U]
    root preexec = if [ ! -d "/var/harddisk/partilha/%U" ] ;\
                       then { mkdir -p "/var/harddisk/partilha/%U" ;} ; \
                       fi
    comment = Partilha de %U
    path = /var/harddisk/partilha/%U
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes

About the name's in Russian, please try something like this in your global section of your configuration file:

display charset = KOI8-R
   dos charset = 866
   unix charset = KOI8-R

I had access to the root of the HD and also to the filesystem of the router with the previous samba I used to use. Can I have the same here?

Please edit your samba configuration to your needs. You can add a section like this:

[RootDirectory]
    comment = Router root
    path = /
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes

Please check the address http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/appb.html for more information.

How to stop samba runnng when I don't need it?

I have included a start and stop button in the configuration page.

I am making some tests with yodctcs and i think it's a better way of downloading with ctorrent.
I have already downloaded files with about 600 MB

In this firmware i have already included a startup script where you can add or remove everything you want your router start's when it boots.

Please wait until i made it available to everyone