OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RouterStation Pro?

The content of this topic has been archived between 27 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

So apparently I already did try it with lockdep:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6125

I've looked at the source for mini_fo, and it seems that build_sto_structure and meta_build_lists are acquiring different locks (one gets the inode lock for the parent, one the inode lock for the dentry itself). But I kinda doubt lockdep is telling me lies.

Who knows the mini_fo code well?

I think I'm getting hit with the same bug.  If I do enough with opkg it gets stuck in disk wait for me.

Does this show up on any non ar71xx platforms?

robrob wrote:

RouterStation Pro Update

I finally got the RS Pro working exactly the way I wanted. I compiled a trunk image using the AR7100/RSPro as the target and flashed the rspro-jffs2 image using tftpd. I selected Webif as the web based admin server (moved it to port 88). Setup was very easy with the current trunk--no special configuration tricks were needed to get it up and running. I was even able to flash the firmware within webif using the rspro-jffs2-sysupgrade.bin file!

I'm using the RS Pro as my primary home router and web server. I installed a 16GB SD card and use that for the web server. It has vsftpd for ftp, lighttpd is the web server, and has a generic Atheros 3x3 11n card. The wireless works well but only in g mode so far--that's my next project.

The RouterStation Pro is a fantastic router--very fast with craploads of ram and rom and now openwrt is cooking on this box.

Rob Robinette

Dear Robrob

Would u please send me how to upgrade instruction and make webif working on RSPRO ?  I am looking for a step by step guide to make mine working too.

Thanks
Ariya

Here's how I did it:

On an Ubuntu Linux computer I did the SVN checkout of the kamikaze trunk.

I ran make menuconfig on the Linux computer and selected "AR7xx and RouterStation Pro" as the target, then went into Administration and selected Webif.

Ran "make clean world"

flashed the image named "...ubnt-rs-pro-squashfs-factory.bin (located in the bin directory) by holding the small button on the back of the RS Pro while adding power (rf led flashes). I used Windows built in tftp client to send the image to the router.

There are guides out there that give more detail for each step I listed.

robrob wrote:

Here's how I did it:

I ran make menuconfig on the Linux computer and selected "AR7xx and RouterStation Pro" as the target, then went into Administration and selected Webif.

Ran "make clean world"

flashed the image named "...ubnt-rs-pro-squashfs-factory.bin (located in the bin directory) by holding the small button on the back of the RS Pro while adding power (rf led flashes). I used Windows built in tftp client to send the image to the router.

Hi

Dear Robrob

Would you please send me the links for these steps ?

I am newbie on this.

Thanks a lot
Ariya

robrob wrote:

Here's how I did it:

Ran "make clean world"

I don't suppose by chance you're using a SR71 for a wireless card.  I'm having a bit of trouble getting the wireless card to work with x-wrt.  It seems to work ok using Luci (shows up when I search for available wireless networks on my laptop) but I can't seem to get it to broadcast with x-wrt.  I saved some config files from a x-wrt install and am rebuilding a luci firmware right now to compare configs and see if there are any differences.  I suspect something has changed in the openwrt trunk and x-wrt hasn't been updated to reflect the changes yet.

My linux skills are not what they used to be and I've never really with wireless configuration from a linux CLI.

I'm using a Sparklan WMIA-199 Atheros 11abgn 3x3 mini-pci card. It's working fine in 11g mode but using webif n mode is inop and the 11a freqs aren't available.

well nevermind.  I figured it out.  I guess the SR71 doesn't support 'auto' channel detection and the default for x-wrt is 'auto'.  Once I manually changed the channel the wireless was happy.

I can't get it to do a 'Site Survey' and iwlist fails saying that my device doesn't support scanning.  Despite it working before in a previous build.  Though that doesn't really matter.

Could one of you Routerstation/Routerstation Pro equipped folks test out a dual mini PCI setup for me?

I'm wondering if it will support both cards connecting to one or more APs.  I don't care about bonding, just hoping that its as simple as it sounds to get two client connections going on one Routerstation/Pro before I splurge on all the hardware involved.

Thanks.

With a recent build, OpenWrt Kamikaze 18767, I now have the fastest wireless I have ever tested. My laptop is connecting to the RS Pro's Sparklan WMIA-199 Atheros 3x3 11abgn card showing only 130mbps connection speed, but I'm getting 17mbps on the wugnet.com speed test. That is by far the fastest wireless connection I've ever achieved. That's faster than the Asus WL500W, Routerboard RB493 with a Mikrotic R52n card, and Netlink WNR850T 11n routers with their factory firmware. It's also faster than the 5 or 6 11g and 11a routers I have tested. Until this recent build I was only getting 11g connection speed so I guess progress is being made with ath9k.

Here's my wireless config file:

config 'wifi-device' 'wifi0'
    option 'type' 'mac80211'
    option 'macaddr' 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
    list 'ht_capab' 'HT40-'
    list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
    list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
    option 'country' ''
    option 'maxassoc' ''
    option 'distance' ''
    option 'diversity' ''
    option 'txantenna' ''
    option 'rxantenna' ''
    option 'disabled' '0'
    option 'antenna' ''
    option 'hwmode' '11ng'
    option 'channel' '05'

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device' 'wifi0'
    option 'network' 'lan'
    option 'mode' 'ap'
    option 'ssid' 'RSPro'
    option 'bssid' ''
    option 'encryption' 'psk2'
    option 'server' ''
    option 'port' ''
    option 'hidden' '0'
    option 'isolate' '0'
    option 'txpower' ''
    option 'bgscan' '0'
    option 'frag' ''
    option 'rts' ''
    option 'wds' '0'
    option 'key' 'xxxxxxxxxxxx'
    option 'key1' ''
    option 'key2' ''
    option 'key3' ''
    option 'key4' ''
    option '80211h' ''
    option 'compression' ''
    option 'bursting' ''
    option 'ff' ''
    option 'wmm' ''
    option 'xr' ''
    option 'ar' ''
    option 'turbo' ''
    option 'macpolicy' 'none'
    option 'maclist' ''

so what's wrong with the kamikazee image pre-installed on the RSPro? i'm a little new to openwrt but when i got a nanostation2 and flashed it with openwrt i knew this was the way to do. but the RSPro doesn't have a gui installed. why not even luci like the ns2 image? so i did get into it and was able to configure it to get on the net but opkg upgrades break (had to edit opkg.conf to do an update) nor will it let me install software. do i need to build a replacement image (robrob can you post?) or should i find a netshe or pycl image? why these over luci? i'm so disappointed with ubiquiti now. why even bother to install an image on the thing if it's mean to be wiped when you get it?

does anyone know what these .bin files for rspro are? can i upgrade to the latest via opkg or do i need to flash with one of these.bins?

openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-rspro-jffs2-factory.bin        17-Dec-2009 12:42             2883992
openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-rspro-jffs2-sysupgrade.bin     17-Dec-2009 12:42             2949120
openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-rspro-jffs2.bin                25-Nov-2009 05:01             2883992
openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-rspro-squashfs-factory.bin     17-Dec-2009 12:43             2359704
openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-rspro-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin  17-Dec-2009 12:43             2424832
openwrt-ar71xx-ubnt-rspro-squashfs.bin             25-Nov-2009 05:01             2359704

so what's wrong with the kamikazee image pre-installed on the RSPro?

I choose to build my own customized image and prefer x-wrt's webif web interface over Luci. I include a web server, ftp server, the nano editor, an ntp client, and webif in my builds so I don't have to add them later. The image is also pre-configured with a correct address, net mask, dns server and gateway.

I'll try to post my latest .bin file later today.

does anyone know what these .bin files for rspro are?

You can use the ...sysupgrade.bin files to do an upgrade using a web interface. Use the ...factory.bin files to do a "recovery mode" flash. I personally use the ...squashfs... files for the squashfs file system.

robrob wrote:

Here's my working squashfs-sysupgrade image for the RS Pro: (...) The image was built today, 18 Dec from the kamikaze trunk1

Thanks for this.  Could you post your build config file too?   I think having the config file is probably more valuable in the long run in order to compare, change packages, etc.

--Rob

What is the name and location of the config file? I just use "make menuconfig" select "Ar7xx & RS Pro" and then add webif, nano, lighttpd, and tftpd.

goatroper wrote:

Could one of you Routerstation/Routerstation Pro equipped folks test out a dual mini PCI setup for me?

I'm wondering if it will support both cards connecting to one or more APs.  I don't care about bonding, just hoping that its as simple as it sounds to get two client connections going on one Routerstation/Pro before I splurge on all the hardware involved.

Thanks.

Any thoughts about this?

Any reason why it wouldn't work?

I'm used to DD-WRT where, AFAICT, there can only be one wireless client, at least using the GUI configuration.

have a RS working with two R52n cards, in my case one as AP and one as STA. But mode choice is free. Make sure their RF signals do not interfere, i.e. at 2.4 GHz at least 5 channels difference.
At 5 GHz the STA sees the AP with a -25 dBm super strong signal even though coaxial pigtails are used to connect to the miniPCI radios and the antennas are directionals pointing in different directions from one mast.
As the boards will operate independently and thus asynchronous in their RX /TX multiplexing (alernation in time between receiving and transmitting) they are potential noise sources to each other. And the use of the word ' channel'  is misleading. It is more to be understood as a centre frequency as the signals are much wider than the channel spacing is.

This particular radio card that I use has the atheros ar9220 IC and needs the ath9k driver. Do not know whether the regular ' wifi' script of OpenWrt deals well with multiple radio cards. I am using my own script that replaces 'wifi' because ath9k needed some debugging. It uses wpa_supplicant's feature of having one  wpa_supplicant-global process and multiple wpa_supplicant instances and uses the command line interface of wpa_supplicant to do the settings needed for WPA. So one RS(pro) can accomodate three miniPCI stations and per USB even more radios ! So perhaps it works out of the box but in any case can be made to work

(Last edited by doddel on 18 Dec 2009, 20:08)

doddel, what web management interface are you using? what .bin did you install (if not the pre-loaded one)? also was the ath9k driver in the .bin you used or did you have to compile it? i've got an R52n card too and the pre-loaded kamikazee won't see it.

in general i do need to decide what gui to use. right now i'm most interested in having good firewall management tools and also being able to create VLANs.

@stel:
1) I manage the system per linux command line so cannot advise you on a web management interface
2) .bin produced by cross-compile toolchain: svn checkout of OpenWrt trunk with recent version of compat-wireless package

If you do not want to get involved with linux and compiling things I would recommend using Dec. 2009 snapshot images from downloads.openwrt.org as those will contain many fixes needed for good R52n operation. OpenWrt gets the ath9k drivers from the mac80211 package which in turn gets them from the compat-wireless package. The drivers went through a lot of debugging in recent months (see wireless.kernel.org).

3) vlan: have a RS and for that have not seen vlan support yet. You just get eth0 (single wan PoE port) and eth1 (two lan ports).

(Last edited by doddel on 25 Dec 2009, 12:49)

yeah i'm not afraid to complile, just lazyi guess. i've been linux for 15 years (not heavy - too much of a tech business man unfortunately but i play tech at home) and always used to compile my kernels but it's so much nicer to get binaries. see and you say R52n support is in there now! i want to do VLANs because i make my access points public and would like to make them show up as 2 APs, one that gets you on the net and one that gets you on my LAN (+net). i can worry about that later.

bad thing is i think i bricked my RSPro after some decent success last night. got some sleep and am back on it but any advice would be appreciated.

so can anyone give me some votes on web interfaces? i date back to all cli all the time but something i'm not in every day i really think a gui is better for. plus the learning curve is shorter. when you really know the cli it's all faster but there's that hump. anyway i have luci on my ns2 and will default to that unless i find it has weak firewall tools or someone tells me otherwise.

damn that was harder than it sounded. you have to catch it at the right time with the reset button. best to let your computer keep pinging 192.168.1.20 while you're trying to get reset at the right time. then you continue with tftp.

finally got luci running. fyi there's a recent bug but an update and install of luci-admin-full and luci-fastindex does the trick. btw dmesg shows vlan support (RS Pro) and luci has config screens for it. there are some details in the main openwrt docs too that might apple. i haven't tried it yet. next order of business is to get this R52n card working. installed kmod-mac80211 and kmod-lib80211 but still ifconfig -a shows no wifi interface only br-lan, eth0, eth1, and lo. what next?

nevermind. looks like i also needed to install kmod-ath9k, ath, mac80211-hwsim. methinks opkg needs better dependency mgmt or maybe the pkg maintainer for ath9k needs some love.