OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RouterStation Pro?

The content of this topic has been archived between 27 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I am a new user of RS PRO and owrt in the same time, and i have a problem with the configuration of network and wireles.

My network configuration is:

network configuration wrote:

config interface loopback
        option ifname   lo
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

config interface wan
        option ifname   eth0
        option type     bridge
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   10.39.213.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.224
        option gateway  10.39.213.2

config interface lan
        option ifname   eth1
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   10.39.213.249
        option netmask  255.255.255.252
        option gateway  10.39.213.250

and wireless configuration is

wireless configuration wrote:

config wifi-device  wifi0
        option type     atheros
        option channel  auto

# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        #option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   wifi0
        #option network lan
        option mode     sta
        option ssid     awmn-13733-14822
        option hidden   0

config wifi-device  wifi1
        option type     atheros
        option channel  auto

#option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   wifi1
        #option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     awmn-13733-test
        option encryption none

config wifi-device  wifi2
        option type     atheros
        option Channel  140

#option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   wifi2
        #option network lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     awmn-7736-13733
        option encryption none

I haven't luci installed on my pc. The problem is that i don't know how to give an ip to a wireless interface. One friend told me that i must add an entry in networks, but i don't know which interface name to use (wan and lan already used) and ifname (ath0 or wifi0 or sth else)

config interface lan1
        option ifname   ath0
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   10.39.213.249
        option netmask  255.255.255.252
        option gateway  10.39.213.250

?

bekiaris wrote:

I am a new user of RS PRO and owrt in the same time, and i have a problem with the configuration of network and wireles.

I haven't luci installed on my pc. The problem is that i don't know how to give an ip to a wireless interface. One friend told me that i must add an entry in networks, but i don't know which interface name to use (wan and lan already used) and ifname (ath0 or wifi0 or sth else)

In the /etc/config/wireless file, add a "option network xxxx" line to the wifi-iface section (there is an example in the config you pasted but it is commented out).

If you are bridging the wireless interface to your lan network, just use "option network lan".  If you want to define a separate network for the wireless, use something else e.g. "option network lan1", then add a lan1 section in your /etc/config/network file.

Does anyone here know of a miniPCI card that is a packet (TNC + FM radio) for the HAM bands? I'd be most interested in 2m or 70cm ... or, failing that, a miniPCI development kit?

Never heard of a packet mini-pci but that would be cool.

Rob - K9OJ

Just wanted to give an update on my RS Pro experience. I'm using the Netgate case with 5 antennas connected to 3x3 and 2x2 11n mini-pci cards. I have a 16GB SD card in the slot and it acts as my storage for my web server ( http://www.robrobinette.com ). This thing freakin' rocks. It's fast and very stable with two radios using the kamikaze 20010 build. The only thing missing is vlan support for the gig switch which I really don't need. Two thumbs up...

robrob wrote:

Just wanted to give an update on my RS Pro experience. I'm using the Netgate case with 5 antennas connected to 3x3 and 2x2 11n mini-pci cards. I have a 16GB SD card in the slot and it acts as my storage for my web server ( http://www.robrobinette.com ). This thing freakin' rocks. It's fast and very stable with two radios using the kamikaze 20010 build. The only thing missing is vlan support for the gig switch which I really don't need. Two thumbs up...

Robrob, which wireless cards are you running for 11n?

I'm running Sparklan wmia-199n (3x3) and wmia-198n (2x2) radios sourced from oxfordtec.com. They're both Atheros based and working very well.

Here's a pic of my RSPro

http://www.robrobinette.com/temp/RSPro2.jpg

The three large antennas are for the WMIA-199n 3x3 radio and the two small flat antennas are for the WMIA-198n 2x2. The high power 198 with the small antennas performs almost as well as the 199n.

(Last edited by robrob on 10 Mar 2010, 18:01)

Ok guys, here is the default firmware's flash usage.

root@RouterStationPro:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    5.1M      5.1M         0      100%  /
/dev/root               5.1M      5.1M         0      100%  /rom
tmpfs                   62.1M     48.0k     62.0M   0%     /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0k         0     512.0k   0%    /dev
/dev/mtdblock3      9.8M      1.2M      8.6M    12%   /jffs
mini_fo:/jffs           5.1M      5.1M         0      100%  /

root@RouterStationPro:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=512k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
/dev/mtdblock3 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw)
mini_fo:/jffs on / type mini_fo (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
root@RouterStationPro:~#

The question is, with 16MB flash, why does it only show 8MB, and how do I get it to use all 16?

Will spinning my own firmware image use all 16 automatically?

I guess it doesn't matter either way, I just want to use all 16 MB.

Thanks!

Edit:

I see /dev/mtdblock3 is 9.8 megs. What gives? I just need more space to install to- /jffs is only 12% full and root is full after installing openvpn. Any help would be appreciated.

(Last edited by STuPiDiCuS on 15 Mar 2010, 20:55)

you use your 16MB

5.1 MB readonly rootfs
9.8 MB writeable jffs-partition 1.2 used (openvpn installation?) 8.6MB free
this 8.6MB are the space you have left on your rootfs because mini_fo combines this two filesystems to one virtual rootfs

so you have about 14MB for /
the missing 2MB are used for the bootloader, partitiontable,...

there are multiple reasons why mini_fo is used:
the readonly rootpartition uses squashfs which is highly compressed and saves a lot of space.
all changes are made on the jffspartition, so if you want to revert all changes, oder boot in failsafe-mode you just don't mount the jffs-partition und you get the default settings.

@robrob

Nice setup guy! Huge improvement over the "in-sink-erator" enclosure you had before. Just picked up a netgate case myself. Overall very pleased but the rear RP SMA connectors are VERY close to some of the other connections ... If you're using the 48vdc power connector, don't even think about using the knock out above it. Same basically goes for the serial port. This will obviously depend on the antennas that you use though.

On another note, does anyone know if a PL2303 based USB to Serial converter with a gender bender will provide serial connectivity to the RS PRO?

Thanks!

@eschoeller:

Yes, actually I just used a PL2303 + gender changer to connect to my RS Pro. Works just fine.

Hi Yaadgiri,

I am in need of router station pro boards.Could you please give me the contact details of the person from whom you brought the board.

streakwave.com is one place to get them.

but if you don't need the 4 port switch on there, i would seriously consider the pc engines ALIX board. same price, more cpu and x86, more ram, cf card instead of flash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWNX:IT

actually the seller, pandorashope, has routerstation pro kits too. i was a happy buyer.

As far as enclosures go you might want to try www.ddbunlimited.com

Seems Ubiquiti has removed RS and RS Pro from its list of products (http://ubnt.com/products)...?

BTW, are there similar products...? RouterBoards, perhaps...?

P.S. Evaluating platforms, for serving dual-band wireless networks, that hopefully can be future-proof for 3-5 years.

The discussion might have continued from here.