OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: HooToo Tripmate Titan HT-TM05 (MT7620)

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Ssssooooooo...Maxie.... What a Nice Company SunValleyTek is ...HUH...?  smile

Max Hopper wrote:

UPDATE:

Hello.
The TM-04 was working until I replaced the operating system with OpenWrt
(open source software - https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hootoo/tripmate-nano).

Resetting the device was attempted but please consider that the HooToo
firmware has been removed.

Now I want HooToo to replace the device.

Best regards.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:46 AM
To: Max Hopper
Subject: Re: Return TM-04

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

If it is within warranty period (12 months )and it is defective, we would
arrange a replacement for you.

You mentioned that it cannot emit the ssid for you, would you please try to
reset it with needle-like thing on long press 15~30 seconds?

If it still cannot work for you, please send us your order # and address.

Have a nice day

Best regards,
Mary
HooToo® Customer Service Representative
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Company: SunvalleyTek Group.
Add: 46724 Lakeview BLVD Fremont, CA 94538
Web: www.hootoo.com
1-888-456-8468
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:19
To: Hootoo_Support

Hello.
Before proceeding further, please confirm that HooToo will refund / replace
my TM-04 on which I have replaced the HooToo firmware with OpenWrt (the
device is physically undamaged and within the warranty period).

Many thanks!

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:57 AM

Hi Max,

Thanks for contacting us!

Would you please send us your order # so that we can provide you more
assistance?

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Have a nice day :-D

Best regards,
Mary
1-888-456-8468

Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 9:58
Subject: Return TM-04

Hello.
I want to return a TM-04 that I flashed / updated with OpenWrt software for
a refund. Now it does not emit a wireless BSSID.

Thank-you

Mary wrote:

If it is within warranty period (12 months )and it is defective (highlited by Ed.), we would

its ok. u r a very helpful friend, and ur words are awarding. i m searching further and will again inform the update here. thanks.

Nice!

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Ssssooooooo...Maxie.... What a Nice Company SunValleyTek is ...HUH...?  smile

Max Hopper wrote:

UPDATE:

Hello.
The TM-04 was working until I replaced the operating system with OpenWrt
(open source software - https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hootoo/tripmate-nano).

Resetting the device was attempted but please consider that the HooToo
firmware has been removed.

Now I want HooToo to replace the device.

Best regards.

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

If it is within warranty period (12 months )and it is defective, we would

You mentioned that it cannot emit the ssid for you, would you please try to
reset it with needle-like thing on long press 15~30 seconds?

If it still cannot work for you, please send us your order # and address.

Have a nice day

Best regards,
Mary
1-888-456-8468

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:19

Hello.
Before proceeding further, please confirm that HooToo will refund / replace
my TM-04 on which I have replaced the HooToo firmware with OpenWrt (the
device is physically undamaged and within the warranty period).

Many thanks!

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:57 AM

Hi Max,

Thanks for contacting us!

Would you please send us your order # so that we can provide you more
assistance?

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Have a nice day :-D

Best regards,
Mary
1-888-456-8468

Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 9:58
Subject: Return TM-04

Hello.
I want to return a TM-04 that I flashed / updated with OpenWrt software for
a refund. Now it does not emit a wireless BSSID.

Thank-you

Mary wrote:

If it is within warranty period (12 months )and it is defective (highlited by Ed.), we would

Also remember the ram differences from the GLi and the TM05

The GLi firmware is expecting 16MB FlashROM and 64MB RAM, so it's possible the TM05 may not be able to work correctly with it...no matter what's done.

Oh, and yes... Very cool about how SunValleyTek honors the warranty, even with flashing a wrong firmware to the devices.  smile

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 23 Aug 2016, 10:46)

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Oh, and yes... Very cool about how SunValleyTek honors the warranty, even with flashing a wrong firmware to the devices.  smile

What part of the word defective do you not understand?

another good news! the gl-inet_1_ramips_24kec.ipk could be found through softwar search via luci UI. but its about 766 kb. may be thats why it shows this error:

Installing gl-inet (1) to root...
Downloading http://www.gl-inet.com/openwrt/ramips/2 … 24kec.ipk.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for gl-inet:
*     kmod-usb-cdc-ether *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gl-inet.

but i m able to download it from GL-inet website offline.

so, i m sure if  can empty some space from the packeges list, it will install nicely.

i uninstalled some language packege like as _Cn ipk files. but that doesnt come handy. may e i need more space. can u please suggest some unnecessary packages that wouldnt need for this purpose?

regards

Max Hopper wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

What part of the word defective do you not understand?

They consider it defective if it's not working for you.

Let them arrange the replacement.
At this stage you don't have anything to lose, unless you screw-up the niceness of SunValleyTek yourself by not sending it back. smile

silentext wrote:

another good news! the gl-inet_1_ramips_24kec.ipk could be found through softwar search via luci UI. but its about 766 kb. may be thats why it shows this error:

Installing gl-inet (1) to root...
Downloading http://www.gl-inet.com/openwrt/ramips/2 … 24kec.ipk.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for gl-inet:
*     kmod-usb-cdc-ether *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gl-inet.

but i m able to download it from GL-inet website offline.

so, i m sure if  can empty some space from the packeges list, it will install nicely.

i uninstalled some language packege like as _Cn ipk files. but that doesnt come handy. may e i need more space. can u please suggest some unnecessary packages that wouldnt need for this purpose?

regards

This was what I mentioned earlier...
...I read from another post, that packages can't be deleted from compiled firmware images, thru LuCI.

You may need to use the ImageBuilder Kit, to re-arrange what's in there, by having that ImageBuilder re-compile a new smaller image by removing some of the packages you omit from the new makeFile the ImageBuilder uses.

It's a complex procedure, but the only way to create a working smaller image of an already compiled image...while still using most of the same firmware.

And yes...the GLi UI if it's over 750KB...I'm also guessing that's why it didn't load.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 23 Aug 2016, 11:05)

but i can remove the ipk softs from within luci interface. will it not create spaces?

silentext wrote:

but i can remove the ipk softs from within luci interface. will it not create spaces?

Not from the jffs2 partition.

silentext wrote:

No it's only looking like it's freeing up room.
But the structure of the OpenWRT file system can't operate as easily as that.

I remember reading another post from some other thread where someone was asking to do the same thing on another routers firmware, and the reply was to use the ImageBuilder shown in the folder of the main BIN firmware file.

Within this folder...at near the top...
http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … ps/mt7620/

Is a file called...
OpenWrt-ImageBuilder-15.05-ramips-mt7620.Linux-x86_64.tar.bz2     253,872,471     14-Sep-2015 09:01

http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … 64.tar.bz2

That's really the only way to make the file smaller for you.

But asking the GLi company if anything else is needed to get your WiFi dongle to operate with their firmware can't hurt to try.  No need to mention the TM05, just to ask if their firmware is including the USB support for the 4g dongle you have.

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 24 Aug 2016, 16:46)

Oh, i see. i think i need more knowledge. thanks Max Hopper.

Max Hopper wrote:
silentext wrote:

Interesting turn. thanks anyway. need more time and concentration! in the meantime i m getting a tplink mr3040 for my 4g wimax purpose. this one is suggested by my wimax provider. however, after that i may be anly will search for a simple NAS sollution that hootoo original firmware gives. if ur words are true, hope they will not deny to honor the replacement for my openwrt installed device.

however, thanks u for this all valuable time. smile

HooTooJunkie wrote:
silentext wrote:

I remember read another post from some other thread where someone was asking to do the same thing on another routers firmware, and the reply was to use the ImageBuilder shown in the folder of the main BIN firmware file.

Is a file called...
OpenWrt-ImageBuilder-15.05-ramips-mt7620.Linux-x86_64.tar.bz2     253872471    14-Sep-2015 09:01

But asking the GLi company if anything else is needed to get your WiFi dongle to operate with their firmware can't hurt to try.  No need to mention the TM05, just to ask if their firmware is including the USB support for the 4g dongle you have.

silentext wrote:

Oh, i see. i think i need more knowledge. thanks Max Hopper.

Max Hopper wrote:
silentext wrote:

Yes...Max is referring to the file system the OpenWRT uses to keep track of the space...it won't free-up the jffs2 area...this much I know is true...I found out that the hard way when it didn't work for me two years ago.
wink

I'm happy to have helped you.
Too bad there are more steps to do to continue with this.
You'd need to search how to use the ImageBuilder.
Max says it's "child's play" (from another thread) so maybe it's not as difficult as we may think.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 50#p335350

But at least you know SunValleyTek will replace it if you decide to stay with the HooToo firmware.

silentext wrote:

Interesting turn. thanks anyway. need more time and concentration! in the meantime i m getting a tplink mr3040 for my 4g wimax purpose. this one is suggested by my wimax provider. however, after that i may be anly will search for a simple NAS sollution that hootoo original firmware gives. if ur words are true, hope they will not deny to honor the replacement for my openwrt installed device.

however, thanks u for this all valuable time. smile

HooTooJunkie wrote:
silentext wrote:

I remember read another post from some other thread where someone was asking to do the same thing on another routers firmware, and the reply was to use the ImageBuilder shown in the folder of the main BIN firmware file.

Is a file called...
OpenWrt-ImageBuilder-15.05-ramips-mt7620.Linux-x86_64.tar.bz2     253872471    14-Sep-2015 09:01

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Yes...Max is referring to the file system the OpenWRT uses to keep track of the space...

Incorrect.

jffs2, if you had been kind enough to have RTFW'ed, is the format used to store the OpenWrt image onto the MTD.

Max Hopper wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

Yes...Max is referring to the file system the OpenWRT uses to keep track of the space...

Incorrect.

jffs2, if you had been kind enough to have RTFW'ed, is the format used to store the OpenWrt image onto the MTD.

I wasn't trying to get that technical as to where it was...on the ROM file system partitions....
...just that the OpenWRT OS uses it.
But thanks for clarifying.

oh Max...so literal you are....sometimes life is just a smile and a whisper in the breeze...

HooTooJunkie wrote:

oh Max...so literal you are....sometimes life is just a smile and a whisper in the breeze...

Incorrect.

Where technological lexicon is concerned, precision is paramount. Were posters more careful with their messages, the countless topics containing phrases as 'so confusing', 'cannot find', 'seem outdated' and a personal favourite, 'not exactly my problem' would diminish.

Honestly, the number of posters at the bleeding edge are a mere handful (including this poster). The remainder of 'problems' are self-inflicted and rectified with a modicum of research.

As one poster wrote in an asocial and bullying topic, "They are volunteering their time and effort, so what can you demand from volunteers?"

HooTooJunkie wrote:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/865/wikipedian_protester.png

And now you are announcing HooToo policy?

Max Hopper wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/865/wikipedian_protester.png

And now you are announcing HooToo policy?

big_smile Max...you didn't believe me that they would still say they'd replace it, even if you told them you re-flashed it with another firmware other than their own...but they still agreed to replace it...so... HUH..?
So how can you say this now?
Are you just imagining this? smile

Max...it's just their way of referring to the issue you reported.
They don't mean they'll examine it to determine if it's in fact "defective" in the purest sense of the word.
If you are not happy with its operation, they consider it defective, especially if a reset doesn't fix it.

I sent in a router to them that I wasn't setting correctly,...
But they still considered it defective, and replaced it.

UPDATE.5: (or who is 'Mary'?)

SMTP headers reveal that 'Mary' is located somewhere in Asia and using a M$ e-mail service. Here is the MTU name: APC01-PU1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com

HINT: the server is located somewhere in South Korea, hence the 'APC' designation

But knowing that -

• 'Mary' is probably sitting China

• in a first level support role

• at Sunvalley.com.cn

• writing in her second language [citation needed] (with a of level English fluency that would shame a poster from the southern region of the USA)

might not be sufficient to convince posters to await the response of 'Mary'.

Gloating has a foul taste when it has to be consumed.

N.B. - is this 'Mary'?

I hope this isn't some type of racist comment, re: Mary. smile

SunValleyTek is world-wide, so they'll be phone reps from everywhere (not literally) but they're a nice company truly interested in satisfying their customers.

I don't tout companies for a living, it's not my job to advertise them...I just had pleasant dealings with SunValleyTek, HooToo and RAVpower...they're all the same and also TAOtronics..if I spell it correctly.

You seem to not want to take advantage of getting your broken (bricked) TM04 router replaced with a working one for Free, even shipping to them was paid for? Or no...but it's still a good deal for you...
But you'd rather still find fault with something? ...rather than accept their warranty, which you legitimately have a right to, ... Just to still complain..! .? To what?

You don't need to beg my forgiveness, smile or even say I was right and you were wrong...
..That I wasn't trying to suggest the other poster defraud the company for a new router.. smile

...Because...
It was SunValleyTek's policy to honor that kind of customer service...and that's the truth..!!

Case closed, and dismissed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UdxL3Lswtk

Max Hopper wrote:

UPDATE.5: (or who is 'Mary'?)

SMTP headers reveal that 'Mary' is located somewhere in Asia and using a M$ e-mail service. Here is the MTU name: APC01-PU1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com

HINT: the server is located somewhere in South Korea, hence the 'APC' designation)

But knowing that

• 'Mary' is probably sitting China

• in a first level support role

• at Sunvalley.com.cn

• writing in her second language [citation needed] (with a of level English fluency that would shame a poster from the southern region of the USA posters)

might not be sufficient to convince posters to await the response of 'Mary'.

Gloating has a foul taste when it has to be consumed.

N.B. - is this 'Mary'?

HooTooJunkie wrote:

SunValleyTek is world-wide,...

HooTooJunkie wrote:

I don't tout companies for a living,

Nor do you represent them yet you hold yourself out as an unimpeachable authority.

Disavowing personal responsiblity or suggesting that tactic to others is wrong. Try subscribing to the Pottery Barn rule.

Max Hopper wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Nor do you represent them yet you hold yourself out as an unimpeachable authority.

Disavowing personal responsiblity or suggesting that tactic to others is wrong. Try subscribing to the Pottery Barn rule.

Max the jury is in, as expected, you lost this argument, by virtue of first grandstanding (your "I abused your device, now replace it" this was phrased rather impolite even for you) and then by the company simply ignoring you acting juvenile and still offering to replace the device. Once you are down to argue that HooToo could not have meant what they responded to your email and insinuating that being caused by their representatives limited english it is clear to every bystander in the audience that you have painted yourself into a corner... Not accepting reality is one thing, but making the audience will follow in and act of suspension of disbelieve requires ,ore elaborate and sophisticated arguments than you seem wiling to make.

Tl;dr. You lost your argument thoroughly. AGAIN. Do you really want to make that a habit?

Best Regards
        M.

Max Hopper wrote:
HooTooJunkie wrote:

HooTooJunkie wrote:

Now you're just being ridiculous.
You yourself saw that my statements they'd honor the warranty, even though you told them you put OpenWRT on it...
...Were actually proved to you when they said they'd arrange for the return.

So I don't know what more proof you need now, other than YOU actually sending it into them...
To be able to see that they do indeed replace it for you...
...it's now up to you to complete the warranty agreement that they said they'd honor.

In other words...you need to simply let them help you.

What do you have a problem with.

My experience with the company is just as a customer.
And it's as if I'm making a review of them here...for you and all reading this thread.

That's all.

But my dealings with them were favorable, and the router I received as replacement has never died yet, in two years of use...with OpenWRT on it.

I have 2 with OpenWRT, and one with stock HooToo firmware on it.  All working well...
That's why I'm the hootoojunkie.

Right now it's all up to you to get your new TM04
If you don't feel like completing the offer, that's up to you.
But you can't say they or I was wrong...about them honoring the warranty...can you...!?!

(Last edited by HooTooJunkie on 23 Aug 2016, 14:34)