OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

As I said in ticket 6580, Asus has GPLed their source for the RTN16 (and several others, too).  http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?S … FncrceRBEo

At first glance, it looks like a true GPL... I don't see the abundance of object files and binary firmware that have been the hallmark of "opensource" OEM network gear.  I've not looked at it much, though...

-elf

@stygian: I am trying to build r32786 for Asus RT-N16 with my patch.

THe first problem was in make[3] -C toolchain/kernel-headers prepare
My solution was delete /home/gallegos/openwrt/openwrt.r32786/target/linux/generic/patches-3.3/212-x86_reloc_portability.patch and I did it. Reason: "kernel: fix portability issues on the x86 specific relocs host tool, fixes build on mac os x". *not my plataform".

The second problem is in make[3] -C target/linux compile
The patchfile ./build_dir/linux-brcm4716/linux-3.3.7/patches/platform/020-bcma-move-parallel-flash-into-a-union.patch try modify a file named driver_mips.c.

Some weeks ago, there was changes in the name of some functions in driver_mips.c

The file 020-bcma-move-parallel-flash-into-a-union.patch try to find the string pr_info("found parallel flash.\n");
and should be bcma_info("found parallel flash.\n");

If I change pr_info for bcma_info in 020-bcma-move-parallel-flash-into-a-union.patch, the error persists.

I am stopped in this point. I am trying to figure how to skip this error.

Have a nice day (night)

** Viernes **

@Viernes: I had the same problems with building r32786.

With first problem, I modified the 001-openwrt4716-TARGET_brcm4716.patch to use linux-3.3.8 instead of linux-3.3.7. Your solution seems sensible, though.
I hadn't started to  investigate the second problem, but I'm thinking that I would rather try going backwards pre r32783 for now.

Cheers,
stygian

(Last edited by stygian on 17 Aug 2012, 22:29)

I now have my e3000 flashed to r32096. I haven't had much chance to test with it yet as I am just coming over from the dd-wrt world and still need to get used to configuring by hand or I need to rebuild with luci included. I can post my boot messages if anyone is interested.

Maybe you could post here a complete instruction on how to compile OpenWRT for BRCM471x devices? From getting source and patches from svn or whereever and to getting a trx or bin file... What prerequisites and packages one'd install? Thanks!

@dvb15: fair enough. I'm pretty busy these days, but I can put together a brief HOWTO. I'm ironning out mods to the existing patches in order to build from r33288; as I get that done, I'll write a howto for building that.

Until then, to build r32096:

~$ svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk@32096 openwrt-r32096
 ~$ wget http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16/2012-05-28T17-30/2012-05-28T17-30_openwrt4716.tar.bz2
 ~$ tar xjf 2012-05-28T17-30/2012-05-28T17-30_openwrt4716.tar.bz2
 ~$ cd openwrt-r32096
 ~$ patch -p1 < ../2012-05-28T17-30/000-openwrt4716-TARGET_brcm4716-clone-brcm47xx.patch
 ~$ patch -p1 < ../2012-05-28T17-30/001-openwrt4716-TARGET_brcm4716.patch
 ~$ patch -p1 < ../2012-05-28T17-30/002-openwrt4716-TARGET_brcm4716-deps.patch
 ~$ make menuconfig
 ~$ make V=99 2>&1 | tee build-$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M).log

This is the quick and the dirty. I highly suggest you read George Kashperko's http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16/openwrt-bcm4716-README.txt .
He is the author of the patches and in that document are some important warnings.  Also, reading the documentation on the openwrt build system is highly recommended. Also, I suggest to have a debrick solution in place before first flash. Serial mod on my e3000 was pretty straight forward, but it will void your warranty.

So let me warn you: Just because this builds doesn't mean it won't brick your router. There are a lot of options in the menuconfig and plenty of them can make things go bad. If any of this sounds alien, are you sure you're ready to debrick your router? I've flashed twice now from CFE prompt due to bad images. I'll write a more complete HOWTO later, when I've finished getting the build working with recent changesets.

Cheers

(Last edited by stygian on 28 Aug 2012, 05:25)

I debricked my n16 with JTAG previously and configured some linux kernels, so I think I'm ready. Thanks for the warning, though and for the HOWTO.

I have managed to adjust the 2012-05-28T17-30 set to apply against r33311.
https://github.com/jvvv/openwrt-brcm4716-patches
I have a small build from this running on my e3000 currently. I haven't had time to extensively test yet, but seems to be running good.

Cheers

I have been in contact with George Kashperko. He says that he is heavily busy with other work to get back to brcm47xx stuff for a while. He said that my git repo will be of good use. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can improve the repo, I am open to hearing them. I will do my best (as time permits) to keep it on track with current trunk.

Cheers

(Last edited by stygian on 3 Sep 2012, 23:05)

@stygian: Thanks a lot for the patches (also thanks to GK). After two days trying to patch and build the code, I got it successfull.

tar xzf trunk-r33311.tar.gz
cp -R trunk-r33311/target/linux/brcm47xx trunk-r33311/target/linux/brcm4716
cd trunk-r33311/
ln -s ../../distfiles dl
patch -p1 < ../jvvv-patches/001-openwrt4716-TARGET_brcm4716.patch
patch -p1 < ../jvvv-patches/002-openwrt4716-TARGET_brcm4716-deps.patch
make menuconfig
make -j 5

I will test it next weekend in my RT-N16

Thanks again and have a nice day

** Viernes **

VeNoM: thanks for the news. I've got mine building right now.

I've taken down my github repo with the patches modded from the http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16/2012-05-28T17-30/ series. It was only meant to help that series of patches work on post-r32096 trunk, anyways.

I've managed to boot a linksys e2000 using the new patches and and a few minor modifications (added a profile and an entry in
target/linux/brcm4716/image/Makefile. It's not usable yet, but I've got a serial console to work from. It's a start.

I have sent the changes needed to get my linksys e2000 running.

I successfully flashed Venom's image via tftp to my e3000, but I would like to revert back to stock.  For some reason, I can’t flash images over 4MB to my e3000 via tftp after flashing the openwrt image.  Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

Hello,

Wondering if mpillaius patch got incorporated into the AA beta?

Thanks

mpillaius wrote:

I have some patches (a bit dirty for now) on top of George's patches and have Belkin F7D7301 working. If you are interested look here: http://manojpi.blogspot.com/2012/05/openwrt-on-belkin-share-max-n300.html

It serves my needs, but might have some pending cleanups. If any of you more experienced programmers want to take it over, please do go ahead. I have documented what and why were the changes needed in my blog.

No, it was not incorporated into the AA beta.

But was anything incorporated in AA, concerning RT-N16? Is there any hope to see it running under AA?

No and no.

wu36 wrote:

I successfully flashed Venom's image via tftp to my e3000, but I would like to revert back to stock.  For some reason, I can’t flash images over 4MB to my e3000 via tftp after flashing the openwrt image.  Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

I have never run into this issue. Need more information. What command line are you using? Are you using serial connection?

@VeNoM : Thank you for this release installed on my E3000 but .config file isn't present and I don't build and install 6in4, kmod-sit and kmod-iptunnel4 because md5 of kernel.
I try opkg install --force-depends but it fails.

Does someone has successfully built 6in4, kmod-sit and kmod-iptunnel4 packages for http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjust … uashfs.bin ?

Good day.

edit : the config file : http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjustment_asus_rt-n16_svn_r33446/config
Now, I search to compile for my E3000.

(Last edited by colundrum on 23 Oct 2012, 18:42)

Do not try to flash an linksys e2000 yet. I have tested it and it will soft brick it. There is an issue with the eth not responding that I didn't experience with earlier revisions. Also, the e2000 will hang if you try using the ohci module instead of just the ehci and uhci modules. I will get in touch with George and also start trying to track down the causes.

UPDATE:

I have sorted out the problem with the eth not responding. It was a build config problem on my part. I had added the swconfig utility and module, but they are not appropriate for this router. Once I removed swconfig from my build, my E2000 works fine using George's most recent (2012-10-23T19) patches and http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16 … 000.patch.

I have found that the ohci usb module will cause the E2000 to hang while loading. George's builds include this module built-in, so for now be advised to build your own image and make sure that you DO NOT include the ohci usb module, the swconfig module, and the swconfig utility. I will work on adjusting the E2000 profile to try to prevent these packages from being included in an image.

(Last edited by stygian on 26 Oct 2012, 20:35)

Does anybody know whether or not the images in http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjustment_asus_rt-n16_svn_r33446/ work for WRT-610Nv2? I would really appreciate to get rid of DD-WRT! What is the difference between
*openwrt-wrt610n_v2-squashfs.bin and
*openwrt-wrt610n_v2-jffs2.bin

Thank you for helping!

(Last edited by gunwald on 14 Nov 2012, 06:07)

In most (if not all) cases you will be fine with the squashfs image.

Squashfs will use the, well, squashfs partition for openwrt, leaving jffs2 free to use for additional packages and configuration while jffs2 only uses jffs2 and not squashfs. (Which is read-only and not usable for anything else besides the actual firmware. You can't install additional packages there.) From what I've heard the latter is mostly used for debugging and not recommended for a 'productive' environment.

(Correct me if I'm wrong. big_smile)